Recently Seen in 2019 | The Boneyard

Recently Seen in 2019

Reaction Score
Last year's edition: Recently Watched Movie Thread

Figure it’ll be a good idea to make it a yearly thread instead of allowing that one to grow into a monstrosity.

Last year's wrap up:

Year End Movie Review Roundup!!! (for postings in 2018 only)

Mano:

Total movies watched: 43

War for the Planet of the Apes, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Dunkirk, It, Mother!, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Cars 3, Blade Runner 2049, Spider-Man: Homecoming, T2 Trainspotting, Ferdinand, The Mummy, Live By Night, Atomic Blonde, Gran Torino, Black Panther, Game Night, Blockers, Geostorm, Set It Up, I Feel Pretty, A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Tully, Isle of Dogs, Justice League, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Murder on the Orient Express, Deadpool 2, Tag, Early Man, Father Figures, Sorry to Bother You, Incredibles 2, Crazy Rich Asians, Ocean’s 8, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Avengers: Infinity War, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Pacific Rim Uprising, Red Sparrow, Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Top 5:
1) T2 Trainspotting
2) Incredibles 2
3) Blade Runner 2049
4) Mission: Impossible - Fallout
5) It

@Travelman32:

Total movies watched: 60

Song of the Sea, Gravity, A Cat in Paris, Akira, Demon Seed, District 9, Mad Max, Mad Max 2, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Mad Max: Fury Road, House Party, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Leon the Professional, Kramer vs. Kramer, Me Before You, 12 Feet Deep, Clerks, Back to School, Circus Kane, Killer Clowns from Outer Space, Meatballs, Soylent Green, Blade Runner, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, The Great Outdoors, The Purge: Election Year, The Secret of Kells, Unfriended, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Don’t Hang Up, The Burning, The Boxtrolls, John Wick, THX 1138, The Running Man, The Secret World of Arrietty, The Woman, The Loved Ones, Step Brothers, Chuck & Buck, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Castle in the Sky, Hounds of Love, Berlin Syndrome, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Darbareye Elly, Basic Instinct, Single, White Female, The Cat Returns, All Hallows’ Eve, Ex Machina, Get Out, Less Than Zero, Where the Wild Things Are, What About Bob, Best In Show, Black Panther, 10,000 BC, Encino Man

@nwhoopfan:

Total movies watched: 46

Fugitive Pieces, Atomic Blonde, The Foreigner, Only the Brave, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder, Thank You For Your Service, Murder on the Orient Express, Lady Bird, Split, Morgan, Life of a King, Thelma, Molly’s Game, Hostiles, Please Stand By, Avengers: Infinity War, Ready Player One, Incredibles 2, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Leave No Trace, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, The Vanishing of Sidney Hall, Higher Power, How to Talk to Girls at Parties, Ted 2, In Darkness, Tag, Upgrade, Tai Chi Zero, Terminal, Ant-man and the Wasp, The Meg, Mile 22, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Basmati Blues, Entanglement, The Equalizer 2, Feed, Searching, A Simple Favor, Dog Days, Mary Poppins Returns, Bumblebee, Kodachrome, The Spy Who Dumped Me

@HuskyHawk:

Total movies watched: 24

Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, It, Atomic Blonde, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, American Made, Baby Driver, Zombieland, The Circle, Murder on the Orient Express, Daddy’s Home Two, Justice League, V for Vendetta, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, The Men Who Stare at Goats, Death Wish, All the Money in the World, Red Sparrow, Chappaquiddick, Ready Player One, Incredibles 2, Outlaw King, Bohemian Rhapsody

@Dove:

Total movies watched: 21

Super Dark Times, Chuck, The Voices, Blood Money, Maudie, Better Living Through Chemistry, Frozen, Wind River, What Happened To Monday, Death Wish, Calibre, Hereditary, Uncle Buck, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Captain Fantastic, The Devil’s Candy, Revenge, Apostle, Security, The Christmas Chronicles, EdTV

@8893:

Total movies watched: 17

La La Land, The Mountain Between Us, The Post, Molly’s Game, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Wonder, Hearts Beat Loud, Being John Malkovich, Three Identical Strangers, The Paper Chase, The Old Man & the Gun, Game Night, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Green Book, Vice, Mary Poppins Returns

@dbmill:

Total movies watched: 16

Dunkirk, The Big Sick, Marshall, Their Finest, Lady Bird, The Darkest Hour, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Post, The Shape of Water, The Naked Truth, Isle of Dogs, Loving Vincent, Sorry to Bother You, Early Man, The Man Who Invented Christmas, Spirited Away

@ZooCougar:

Total movies watched: 10

Annihilation, The Pursuit of Happyness, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Deadpool 2, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians, The Predator, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Holmes and Watson

@G0UCONN:

Total movies watched: 9

The Foreigner, The Post, The Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, The Big Sick, Hostiles, Battle of the Sexes, Black Panther, Deadpool 2

@JMick:

Total movies watched: 8

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, The Big Sick, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War, Red Dragon, American Animals, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Ingrid Goes West

@Fishy:

Total movies watched: 7

Black Panther, Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity Wars, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Crazy Rich Asians, Rampage

@nelsonmuntz:

Total movies watched: 6

Changing Lanes, Nobody’s Fool, King Arthur, The Battle of the Sexes, He’s Just Not That Into You, Dirty Dancing

@Walker11:

Total movies watched: 6

Annihilation, Bone Tomahawk, Jungle, Hunting Emma, Compliance, Hold the Dark

@Husky25:

Total movies watched: 5

The Nice Guys, Margin Call, Incredibles 2, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

@Waquoit:

Total movies watched: 5

Isle of Dogs, Logan Lucky, Mamma Mia, Singing in the Rain, At Eternity’s Gate

@Dogdeacon:

Total movies watched: 4

Lion, The Post, Tag, Phantom Thread

@John:

The Darkest Hour, Detroit, 99 Homes, The Fugitive

@superjohn:

Lady Bird, Tramps, Ant-man and the Wasp, Game Night

@huskypantz:

Total movies watched: 3

Alien: Covenant, Aquaman, Bumblebee

@cohenzone:

Total movies watched: 2 3

The Green Book, The Favourite, Mary Poppins Returns

@Jaker:

Total movies watched: 2

Avengers: Infinity War, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

@storrsroars:

Blood Money, The Hornet’s Nest

@Deepster:

Battle of the Sexes, Spun

@Kolumbo:

Enemy of the State, Love Affair

@J187Money:

Widows, The Mule

@the Q:

Justice League, Black Panther

@August_West:

Total movies watched: 1

The Founder

@Jay-Bone:

Brawl In Cell Block 99

@Horatio:

Avengers: Infinity War

@CL82:

Wild

@temery:

CHIPS

@Yardigan:

I Can Only Imagine

@CajunHusky:

A Man Called Ove

@CardiacAndre7:

Arrival

@huskyrob1:

An Officer and a Gentleman

@manbyrd:

Annihilation

@noeynox:

Bird Box​

I’ll start us off:

Annihilation - I’ve been anticipating this one for forever and finally found the time to sit down and give it the attention it deserved. It was very solid. I wasn’t blown away or anything but the central mystery was certainly intriguing and the drip feed of discovery proved satisfying and somewhat grounded in reality, or at least as much as it could be. I won’t ruin the third act that pulls it all together but it’s some pretty great, original sci-fi stuff that goes on, even if we don’t get a ton of answers.

The Greatest Showman - This was basically background noise while I relaxed and did some things on the laptop. Never really engaged fully with it, but paid enough attention to get the main story beats. I’m not one for musicals.

Smallfoot - It was fine. Kid's movie for the kid. It was fine.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Cool. I snuck a few viewed in 2019 movies into the old thread, but I'll switch over to this one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Karate Kid

Still a great feel-good movie. But come on. No way Danny Larusso is taking out multiple Cobra Kai in the real world.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
100% disagree.

"If do right, no can defense."
He trained for, like, 2 months. Sure, Miyagi was a good teacher and Daniel was a good student...and sure Daniel needed to find balance but Johnny should have torched his ass. Daniel was at 20% for the final.

Reaction Score
He trained for, like, 2 months. Sure, Miyagi was a good teacher and Daniel was a good student...and sure Daniel needed to find balance but Johnny should have torched his ass. Daniel was at 20% for the final.

Can Johnny catch a fly with chopsticks? Nope. Daniel-san had a natural gift for karate.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Can Johnny catch a fly with chopsticks? Nope. Daniel-san had a natural gift for karate.
Karate is in the head. Karate is in the heart. Karate is not in a pair of chopsticks.

Reaction Score
Watched "Bird Box" last night. Thought it was really good. Worth the time and lived up to the hype for me. Cliche in some spots, a little predictable...but Sandra Bullock carried the movie the entire time.

Reaction Score
Bandersnatch: Interesting concept. Kinda makes you wonder why it hasn't been done yet. Basically a choose your own adventure. The story line isn't amazing, but plays into the experience. Worth it for the experience.

The Night Comes For Us: If you like the Raid movies, you might like this, but not as good to me. A lot of action and brutality. Some serious knife fights.

A Prayer Before Dawn: Based on a true story of a Brittish man in a Thai prison. He finds solace through kickboxing. A haunting realistic look inside the prison and quite surprising he survived the endeavor. Worth the watch.

Reaction Score
I watched the new Sicario yesterday. It was worth watching because I really enjoy seeing Del Toro's character. It was also quite a bit worse than the original. Maybe a 6/10.

I did not like Bandersnatch and I am about as big of a Black Mirror fanboy as there is.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just watched Roma this afternoon, having little idea what to expect, except that it was a foreign film with great reviews. Beautifully shot, achingly patient, compelling, humane, sad but reaffirming. The lead actress is excellent. I don’t really see the “best movie of the year” accolades, but it was a decent watch.

Watched The Sting last night for the first time in a long time. Still holds up. Great movie.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Come Hell or High Water (2016)

Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham are Texas Rangers pursuing Chris Pine and Ben Fosters, two brothers robbing banks in Texas.

A decent watch.

Jaws (1975)

One of the ultimate pull you in and chill movies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham are Texas Rangers pursuing Chris Pine and Ben Fosters, two brothers robbing banks in Texas.

A decent watch.

Jaws (1975)

One of the ultimate pull you in and chill movies.
I watch Jaws several times a year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've had an attack of short attention span lately. Given up on several moves. Almost quit on "Juliet, Naked" but stuck it out, glad I did. It was a bit of a slow start but the main problem was Chris O'Dowd's character sucking all the life out of the movie. I like him usually, but that character was a doozy. As soon as he was off screen the majority of the time it was fine. Definitely a strange film w/ some awkwardness, but interesting. Good performances by Rose Byrne and Ethan Hawke.

Brief synopsis, Hawke is a reclusive former indie rock star, gone from the public eye for several decades. O'Dowd is an obsessive fan that has a blog dedicated to the artist (Tucker Crowe). Byrne is O'Dowd's long suffering girlfriend. Byrne and Hawke coincidentally come into contact with each other thru the comment section of O'Dowd's website, and the story ensues from there.

The mid credit scene of O'Dowd reviewing a new release from his idol was awesome.

Reaction Score
Over the weekend we watched “A Birder’s Guide to Everything” (2013). It’s a coming of age comedy drama about a teenager who is seriously into bird watching. The kid, who is also having family issues (he hasn’t gotten over the death of his mother, and his dad is getting remarried), thinks he may have seen a bird that has long been extinct. So on the eve of the wedding, he and his friends go off on a birding expedition to see if they can relocate this bird. This film also features Ben Kingsley doing very nicely in a small supporting role as a local birding expert that the kid consults. This is a movie that started a bit slow and then seriously grew on me as it went along. In the end, it is very much a solid film.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Watched "Bird Box" last night. Thought it was really good. Worth the time and lived up to the hype for me. Cliche in some spots, a little predictable...but Sandra Bullock carried the movie the entire time.

Scariest moment was witnessing the amount of silicon in her face.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Over the weekend we watched “A Birder’s Guide to Everything” (2013). It’s a coming of age comedy drama about a teenager who is seriously into bird watching. The kid, who is also having family issues (he hasn’t gotten over the death of his mother, and his dad is getting remarried) comes across a bird who thinks he may have seen a bird that has long been extinct. So on the eve of the wedding, he and his friends go off on a birding expedition to see if they can relocate this bird. This film also features Ben Kingsley doing very nicely in a small supporting role as a local birding expert that the kid consults. This is a movie that started a bit slow and then seriously grew on me as it went along. In the end, it is very much a solid film.
I gotta check this movie out.

Reaction Score

A decent watch.

I saw this movie two years ago. Loved it, thought it was well deserving of the Best Picture Oscar nomination it got.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vice - entertaining, and informative to some extent. Clearly had an "agenda" so you have to put up with a little one-sidedness. But was definitely worth the time.

Crazy Rich Asians - watched on the plane (United) - was WAY better than I expected it to be and not at all what I thought it was going to be about. Some great acting, and while I wouldn't tell you it is a MUST watch, you definitely would enjoy it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Vice - entertaining, and informative to some extent. Clearly had an "agenda" so you have to put up with a little one-sidedness. But was definitely worth the time.

Crazy Rich Asians - watched on the plane (United) - was WAY better than I expected it to be and not at all what I thought it was going to be about. Some great acting, and while I wouldn't tell you it is a MUST watch, you definitely would enjoy it.
I agree about Vice. As I posted in the other recently watched thread, I thought the technique and agenda were too heavy handed, but it’s worth it for Bale’s performance alone, and the supporting cast also does a great job. And as much as I take issue with the heavy-handed method, in retrospect I’m not sure there was another way to make a story about Cheney interesting enough to hold many people’s interest for a major motion picture.

I haven’t seen CRA but will once I can see it at home for free.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Bad Times at the El Royale

I definitely enjoyed this one. The actors and music are great but not sure of it's rewatchability. Seemed like a Tarantino movie. No real point just fun.

White Boy Rick

I thought this was simply ok. It definitely looked good. The problem was the story jumping around so much without any real explanations. I really never knew what exactly was going on, who was getting arrested, who was screwing over who, etc..

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So as promised, I eschewed the national networks at 9:00 last night and found Red Sparrow On Demand.

It was enjoyable enough to watch clear through. It was slow at times, especially in the beginning, but fairly decent overall. The professional critics probably did not appreciate the nudity. Some seemed gratuitous, but the novel on which the movie is based was written by ex-CIA. So I think this lends quite a bit to its credibility within the environment in which the movie took place (Is it too obvious I'm trying not to give anything away?). I wouldn't be a bit surprised if something like Red Sparrow happens all the time, especially in the current global geopolitical climate.

Apparently there are two other books. If they make the series a film trilogy, I can certainly make my way to watching them. I'll have to think about whether or not to read the books. Not enough time as it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom