Rebounding has to get better | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rebounding has to get better

Reaction Score
Nope. Offensive rebounds are more important because they mean extra possessions.

Saying that it doesn’t show up every game would be like saying that tou shouldn’t build a strategy around 3-point shooting because they are lower percentage shots. You do both of those things because they have bigger upsides, so the reward makes it worth the risk.

And what’s with the either/or perspective? It’s not like anyone focuses on offensive rebounding to the exclusion of defensive rebounds. You focus on both.

I don’t understand why anyone is concerned abound rebounding with this team, we’re 12th in the nation in rebound margin. It’s one of the team’s strengths.
Offensive rebounding is strategic. Sometimes, you don’t want to O rebound because you would rather get back on defense. Some teams, they need O rebound to win. They usually go out early in the ncaas

Reaction Score
Using rebound % (not terrible sum or net margin), we outrebounded Butler and Xavier, essentially tied Providence and Villanova, and got beat on the boards by Creighton and Georgetown.

Note that we won both games we got outrebounded.

Reaction Score
Billy. Defensive rebounding is more important. Which is preventing offensive rebounding.

John, both are important, but the team that gets more offensive rebounds gets more possessions and therefore more shot opportunities. That’s the same reason why turnovers are so important.

Of course defensive rebounds prevent offensive rebounds, but if you only focus on defensive rebounds without knowing what the offensive rebounds are, then the D Rebounds number by itself tells you nothing.

Reaction Score
We haven’t out-rebounded a team since Butler…..

Not getting defensive rebounds means the opposing team gets extra possessions….

You can’t look at rebounding in isolation. Why did Creighton outrebound us? Well, 11 of their 14 rebound advantage was on the offensive glass. Why? Because our D held them to 2 of 14 on 3’s. Those misses kick out and aren’t being grabbed by your primary rebounders. That game really says very little about our normal rebounding effectiveness. Meanwhile, we made up for the rebounding disadvantage by forcing 8 more turnovers than they did.

In the 2 previous games, we took 14 more shots than Providence and 15 more than Xavier, meaning that they had way more rebounding opportunities. That was a function of the fact that both teams got to the foul line a lot more than we did. Instead of taking and missing field goals, they were taking free throws.

Reaction Score
Offensive rebounding is strategic. Sometimes, you don’t want to O rebound because you would rather get back on defense. Some teams, they need O rebound to win. They usually go out early in the ncaas

Maybe on free throws. But who sends everyone back on defense and doesn’t even contest rebounds after shots? Situationally what you’re saying may make sense, but doing that all game long is a losing strategy.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
You can’t look at rebounding in isolation. Why did Creighton outrebound us? Well, 11 of their 14 rebound advantage was on the offensive glass. Why? Because our D held them to 2 of 14 on 3’s. Those misses kick out and aren’t being grabbed by your primary rebounders. That game really says very little about our normal rebounding effectiveness. Meanwhile, we made up for the rebounding disadvantage by forcing 8 more turnovers than they did.

In the 2 previous games, we took 14 more shots than Providence and 15 more than Xavier, meaning that they had way more rebounding opportunities. That was a function of the fact that both teams got to the foul line a lot more than we did. Instead of taking and missing field goals, they were taking free throws.
Good point. When teams are taking (and missing) a lot of 3's, the rebounds will generally be longer. We still have to do better in positioning ourselves for those. Providence beat us to the punch far too many times. As for Creighton, it would be interesting to see their rebounds charted, especially Kaluma's.

Reaction Score
. If you can o rebound, that beats not o rebounding. But it is also fleeting imo. Some games you can kill it, other games it just doesn’t produce.

You will not be a good team if you can’t hold defensive boards though. UConn, with its size, should crash the glass and it can bail you out.

I just don’t like going into games expecting o rebound be a part of your game. I would rather rely on execution, shooting and count on great defense and great defensive rebounding.

UConn, by virtue of its size and athleticism should have games where it just is impossible to keep off offensive glass.

Let that be aspirational, not a necessity to victory.

Reaction Score
This a very entertaining team. But, there’s a but, but sometimes the entertainment takes a back seat to fundamentals. Example opponent races up court, UCONN has defenders ahead of him. No one stops the ball from advancing. Opponent takes it to the rim where two or three UCONN defenders leap for the block! Except that leaves one or none boxing out and in position to rebound. It’s exhilarating to watch and fun to play that way. Stop the ball!! Put your backside against them and box them off the boards!! Then watch the rebounding stats change.

Reaction Score
. If you can o rebound, that beats not o rebounding. But it is also fleeting imo. Some games you can kill it, other games it just doesn’t produce.

You will not be a good team if you can’t hold defensive boards though. UConn, with its size, should crash the glass and it can bail you out.

I just don’t like going into games expecting o rebound be a part of your game. I would rather rely on execution, shooting and count on great defense and great defensive rebounding.

UConn, by virtue of its size and athleticism should have games where it just is impossible to keep off offensive glass.

Let that be aspirational, not a necessity to victory.

I just pointed out how the Creighton rebounding was due to the number of missed 3’s and you’re telling us that should have great games? Size and crashing the glass doesn’t help on those long rebounds. Those are the ones that are unpredictable.

Say what you want about offensive rebounds, but there are teams that so get more than their share of offensive rebounds game after game. It’s a strategy just like any other.

Our players are among the best in the country at getting defensive rebounds, but in games like the Providence and Xavier games where there’s an enormous disparity in taken, there’s also an enormous disparity in defensive rebound opportunities. Raw numbers don’t tell the story. You can’t grab rebounds that aren’t there.

Reaction Score
This a very entertaining team. But, there’s a but, but sometimes the entertainment takes a back seat to fundamentals. Example opponent races up court, UCONN has defenders ahead of him. No one stops the ball from advancing. Opponent takes it to the rim where two or three UCONN defenders leap for the block! Except that leaves one or none boxing out and in position to rebound. It’s exhilarating to watch and fun to play that way. Stop the ball!! Put your backside against them and box them off the boards!! Then watch the rebounding stats change.

If you’re saying that’s the pattern when you watch our ga,es, then how did we get to be #2 in the Big East and #18 in the country in rebound margin?

Reaction Score
If you’re saying that’s the pattern when you watch our ga,es, then how did we get to be #2 in the Big East and #18 in the country in rebound margin?
I’m saying that if you watch the games then you can see what I’ve described. In recent games the rebounding dominance has waned. Two parts to what I wrote. Stop the guy with the ball, don’t give him a free run to the rim! And do a better job of boxing out! Defense and rebounding in key moments wins games against top opponents.

Reaction Score
I’m saying that if you watch the games then you can see what I’ve described. In recent games the rebounding dominance has waned. Two parts to what I wrote. Stop the guy with the ball, don’t give him a free run to the rim! And do a better job of boxing out! Defense and rebounding in key moments wins games against top opponents.

Rebounding dominance really hasn’t waned. I’ve explained why the rebounding numbers were the way they were. You can’t look at them in isolation; you have to look at them in context.

Do you seriously think they’ve forgotten in the past few games that they should box out?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom