Rebecca's 50 Number Being Retired | The Boneyard

Rebecca's 50 Number Being Retired

Reaction Score
1544215468539.png

UConn will retire the numbers of former basketball standouts Ray Allen and Rebecca Lobo, the school announced Friday.

Following a ceremony in early March, no UConn player will be permitted to wear Allen’s No. 34 or Lobo’s No. 50. According to an athletic department statement, Huskies players will have their numbers retired upon entry into the National Basketball Hall of Fame. Allen entered the Hall this past fall, while Lobo was inducted in 2017.

Both are members of their Huskies of Honor inaugural classes, which recognizes the accomplishments of standout student-athletes and coaches by retiring jerseys. However, the retirement of numbers 34 and 50 will elevate Allen and Lobo to special place of prominence that will be reserved for future UConn basketball alums who are inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Lobo's #50 will be retired during the women's basketball team's contest against Houston on March 2 while Allen's #34 will be retired during the men's basketball team's game against USF on March 3.

Both numbers 34 and 50 will become unavailable in perpetuity following the ceremony.

[more]

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They are retiring HOF players numbers. No other UConn player will wear #34 or #50 (pretty sure that will team specific.) In somewhat related news, apparently they are also going to retire the names Jim Calhoun, Geno Auriemma, and Chris Dailey. No other UConn coach will be able to refer themselves by those names.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Well deserved..! Interestingly, before Rebecca no one had worn #50 since Renee Najarian in 1986-1988. Lobo wore it from 1991-1995, and since then it has been on the shelf. So, it has kind of been retired already... :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How many are there now retired?
Good question. Is this a new program? Not sure why these numbers were not retired previously but happy to hear its about to happen. Well deserved by all.

Reaction Score
Good question. Is this a new program? Not sure why these numbers were not retired previously but happy to hear its about to happen. Well deserved by all.
UConn has not previously retired numbers -- they've had the best players go up on the Huskies of Honor. If Hall of Fame is the criteria, it will stay a very small group until Diana and Sue retire and go into the Hall of Fame.

Reaction Score
Seems fitting. Long with Ray Allen's 34.

Ray Allen, Rebecca Lobo to have UConn numbers retired

“Rebecca and Ray continue to be tremendous ambassadors for UConn and we are proud of all their accomplishments and grateful for their continued support of the University community.”

Didn't Geno and or Christine have a prohibition against "RETIRING" anyone's number?
Was this an "Administration" decision?

Reaction Score
They are retiring HOF players numbers. No other UConn player will wear #34 or #50 (pretty sure that will team specific.) In somewhat related news, apparently they are also going to retire the names Jim Calhoun, Geno Auriemma, and Chris Dailey. No other UConn coach will be able to refer themselves by those names.
Is this true? Holey smoley, good golly miss bent. When I write my nasty gram to Geno's home what name do I put on the envelop? Conundrums seem to be running rampant in Storrs. I don't refer to Calhoun as other than JIm so I'm safe there, and Christine is good cuz I don't know Dailey anyway. But MR Auriemma--you simply don't call the MASTER by Geno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom