Rebecca thinks Shoni will be better on Sunday | The Boneyard

Rebecca thinks Shoni will be better on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mo Jeff will do the same thing that Kelly did last April..........Take Shoni out of the game and Louisville will stall...Who guards, Stef, KML, Stewiw, Bria and MO Jeff?..........I like our odds.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We don't have Kelly or a guard defender with her length, but Bria has become a good defender and MoJet is an absolute pest. I expect Shoni to shoot 35% at best. Not enough to win.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
We don't have Kelly or a guard defender with her length, but Bria has become a good defender and MoJet is an absolute pest. I expect Shoni to shoot 35% at best. Not enough to win.

I agree. Maybe not yet Kelly-like, but seems to be much more effective than in the past. Earlier this season, I had eyebrows raised when Bria was guarding some hot player, then I noticed hot player wasn't playing so hot, and I lowered the eyebrows.

Reaction Score
I will be very interested to see how L'Ville plays against you. I think Jeff has a pretty balanced team this year, but it will hurt them to have Bria Smith unavailable. I think Shoni may play better against UConn this year, but not enough take over the game. I believe Jeff will try to get your players in foul trouble and will be willing to use his bench to play rough D to see if he can get Dolson and Stewart, in particular to retaliate. That is their only real shot at beating UConn. He has some depth inside this year, so he can afford to try it. L'Ville will need help from the refs to have any shot at beating UConn, IMO.

Reaction Score
I can't help wondering if Rebecca thought she might get a rise out of UConn. Bulletin board material.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I can't help wondering if Rebecca thought she might get a rise out of UConn. Bulletin board material.
That's not Rebecca's style. It's not a huge stretch to predict she will have a better game considering her results the last time. Plus, no Kelly on def.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I agree. Maybe not yet Kelly-like, but seems to be much more effective than in the past. Earlier this season, I had eyebrows raised when Bria was guarding some hot player, then I noticed hot player wasn't playing so hot, and I lowered the eyebrows.

So you are now, maybe, a low-brow?

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris was a beast on defense, but I wouldn't want to go up against Mo or Bria.

You never know though, with some players. I think Kelly is the best defensive player we've ever had, but she struggled against McBride. Finally, in our last game against ND with Diggins, Geno switched Bria onto McBride and Faris onto Diggins, and both shut down their player. So sometimes it's about a matchup.

I think when it comes to Shoni, she's a bit wild. And I'd wager that she struggles.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I will be very interested to see how L'Ville plays against you. I think Jeff has a pretty balanced team this year, but it will hurt them to have Bria Smith unavailable. I think Shoni may play better against UConn this year, but not enough take over the game. I believe Jeff will try to get your players in foul trouble and will be willing to use his bench to play rough D to see if he can get Dolson and Stewart, in particular to retaliate. That is their only real shot at beating UConn. He has some depth inside this year, so he can afford to try it. L'Ville will need help from the refs to have any shot at beating UConn, IMO.

This is what we should worry about. Walz has done this before and not only to us - Baylor anyone. And given some of the officiating we have seen, it is not out of the realm of possibility. Us in a street fight is to Louisville's advantage.

If Stef, Stewie and Kiah stay out of foul trouble, Louisville is toast.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Moriah's fast hands and exceptional footwork could give Schimmel a hard time, but they might try to then post her up. And the advantage of Moriah vs. Bria and Banks is that she is great at not fouling. I think in maybe only one game this year has Mo picked up two fouls in the first half.

Reaction Score
I will lose respect for Walz if his team turns this game into a street brawl. I HATED the way they played Baylor. They did not deserve to win that game and I don't even like Baylor. The fact that Walz got praise for the way they won, only encourages them to play that way again. If you can;t beat them, beat them up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes - a much better game today! Moriah was great and didn't foul as I predicted.

Shonni made one more shot but 2 fewer free throws so ended with the same 9 points. She got two more rebounds (6-4) and had the same number of assists (3) and steals (1) but 2 more turnovers (5-3) and an A/TO ratio of .60 vs one of 1.0 and a KBR of 0.20 vs 0.33.

All in all I would say Lobo was wrong! Efficiency wise she was exactly the same.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Shoni was pretty sure Kelly Faris was still guarding her.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
The Schimmels best shooting was before the game. At 12.23 as Louisville ran to their dressing room, first Shoni, then Jude shot from midcourt. Both swished their shot. It was impressive, but I think it's harder to make a basket during the game.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Announcers were trying to be at least semi-polite. They hid behind such phrasing as "Louisville is having trouble matching UConn team speed." This while showing a replay of MoJet flying past Shoni like she was a parked bus. I thought it was really the game in a nutshell. Louisville has a bunch of good shooters. But when you can't get an open shot, you either pass or throw up a lousy shot. The few open shots UL got, they hit. It must have made Geno flip, but for the other 35+ minutes, there were no good looks, especially none for Schimmel. In a way, this was a huge game for Mo. She answered the too often asked question,"Can she guard the opponents best threat and shut her down, a la Kelly." Now, how much louder and clearer must the answer be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom