Rebecca Lobo one of the 2012 candidates for Naismith HOF | The Boneyard

Rebecca Lobo one of the 2012 candidates for Naismith HOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As the only woman nominated Rebecca odds of getting in are likely pretty good.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While Rebecca was an excellent player, I would suggest she deserves election more for her contribution to the game than for her playing skills. I have always felt that her "star power" was one of the key factors in the growth of women's basketball both at UConn and nationally. "The right person at the right time".

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
While Rebecca was an excellent player, I would suggest she deserves election more for her contribution to the game than for her playing skills. I have always felt that her "star power" was one of the key factors in the growth of women's basketball both at UConn and nationally. "The right person at the right time".
She is a "contribution" candidate.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Rebecca is selected, I know a guy who would be very good at introducing her.

Her speech will be outstanding.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd agree. She was a national champion and NPOY at the college level and really put UConn on the map in a big way. However, it was her role in being a "face of the sport" at a critical growth point that is causing her to get this level of consideration. And that's not a knock on her; timing is a lot of it in these matters. The time may have been ripe for her, but she delivered on being the right person and deserves to be recognized in the history of basketball for it.

And to this day, she continues to be an abassador for and one of the shining lights of the sport.

Reaction Score
In addition to Rebecca, it is an impressive list of candidates....

It surprises me how many of those being considered have not yet made it into the HOF. You always get into discussions about whether longevity should be a mandatory prerequiste for HOF inclusion. I have always been of a mind that while longevity can be one criteria, impact on the game can, and should be, the most important consideration. For example, it is a shame that Jimmy V is not in the HOF. He is responsible for two seminal moments in Basketball. Probably the greatest upset in NCAA history when his wolfpack beat houston for the 1983 championship and one of the greatest sports non-playing moments of all time when he gave his speach at the first ESPYs:

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

He wasn't the winningest coach, nor did he have that long a career, but he certainly had an impact on the game.

Reaction Score
If Rebecca is nominated as a contributor, fine. As a player, her post UConn career does not merit consideration. Has there been a HOF induction for a contributor under 40? Would someone with more knowledge of Ms Lobo's HOF worthy contributions please list them? I am asking because I am trying to make sense of how she might get in before any number of the nominees listed at this point in her very young life.

Jimmy V? I do not think so. Great guy but a Hall of Famer...?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Its still an honor to be nominated even if she doesn't win the award.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
My favorite Rebecca Lobo moment:

Lobo and Pam Ward were calling a WNBA game on Oxygen. As with all game announcers, there was a promo to be done for a television show on the network. Ward makes the plug for "Nice Package," Oxygen's show about home improvement/repair. Immediately after Ward promotes the show, Lobo states, "Oxygen is now the euphemism network." Absolutely hysterical (and great timing)!

Reaction Score
Ms Lobo had a similarly humorous response to a comment Doris Burke made during a nationally televised game about Coach Auriemma having a nice package. The particlar game eludes me but it was during one of the championship seasons of either 2009 or 2010. If I had to guess, it would be the Oklahoma game in 2010.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
That is a mistake. They did not move the finalist selection. This is a list of new nominations. Other nominations from previous years that still meet the criteria will still be voted on as well.

That being said.

Good Luck Rebecca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member