Rebecca Lobo is joining the Studio Analyst Team at ESPN | The Boneyard

Rebecca Lobo is joining the Studio Analyst Team at ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the rules are for cutting and pasting, so I'll just paraphrase ESPN's press release. Rebecca will be joining the ESPN Studio team for NCAA women's basketball for this season, working alongside Kara Lawson and Kevin Negandhi. They will start with coverage of First Night on ESPN3 at 7 pm this Friday. This is also part of the overall Midnight Madness coverage on ESPNU starting at 9 pm. She'll also be covering top games such as the tip-off classic and Jimmy V women's classic, and will be at the final four.

Carolyn Peck will be the primary analyst on Sunday coverage for a new women's basketball package. She'll also contribute to "select men's college basketball games".

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the rules are for cutting and pasting, so I'll just paraphrase ESPN's press release. Rebecca will be joining the ESPN Studio team for NCAA women's basketball for this season, working alongside Kara Lawson and Kevin Negandhi. They will start with coverage of First Night on ESPN3 at 7 pm this Friday. This is also part of the overall Midnight Madness coverage on ESPNU starting at 9 pm. She'll also be covering top games such as the tip-off classic and Jimmy V women's classic, and will be at the final four.

Carolyn Peck will be the primary analyst on Sunday coverage for a new women's basketball package. She'll also contribute to "select men's college basketball games".

Reaction Score
Loved Rebecca as a player and sideline announcer, can't stand her game announcing.
This will be a better position for her.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Congrats to Rebecca.

UCONN and Tennessee in the studio....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
While I hated listening to her southern accent.... I enjoyed looking at Ms Peck. I wonder if she has ruled out ever returning to the sidelines.

Reaction Score
While I hated listening to her southern accent.... I enjoyed looking at Ms Peck. I wonder if she has ruled out ever returning to the sidelines.

Ms Peck must owe her seven plus years of ESPN employment to some attribute to which I am not privy. I do not believe she is as much unprepared as she is unable to relax when the lights come on.

As far as her return to the coaching ranks, there have certainly been enough openings. that she has not filled any of them indicates that she wants no part of it. Someone afraid to take a chance at failing has no business being a basketball coach anyway.

Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson should work well if they do not get into each other's way. Still, it begs the question as to whether moving Ms Lobo into the studio represents a step up, or a lateral move from which to broaden her scope.

I fully endorse the idea of women analyzing men's games. Ms Peck may make it necessary to scale back my full endorsement. PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!

U

UCONNfan1

Not sure why Peck still has a job at ESPN - I may be in a minority, but I far preferred Stacey Dales over Peck. In fact, I prefer Vitale over Peck, and he's like listening to a pair of donkeys have sex while snorting coke.

Congrats to Rebecca. Like her style. She and Kara will make a fun tandem to watch.

Reaction Score
Peck is a palindrome wrapped in a spoonerism waiting to happen... and she refuses to wear the glasses she needs to read the teleporter.

One thing about Rebecca in the studio - less travel.

Great post, but contains what must be the best Freudian slip of the year. I am assuming that a teleporter is where ThisJustIn wants Ms. Peck to deposit herself, so she can be removed, Tardis-like, to some other galaxy. For that duty, I am not sure eyeglasses will help at all.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While I'm not a great Peck fan, I think she is better at the game than in the studio, so I'm ok with that. As some said, while Lobo is very good on the air, some of her calls at games were grating, she needed a different instructor than Doris Burke, IMO. Always seemed good in previous studio stints.

As to Peck's employment as a coach, I would suggest her resume is not spectacular. After a spectacular 2 years at Purdue, she had a decided mediocre career in the W and then went 72-76 in 5 years at Florida.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I love Kara as an analyst and I cringe at a number of the other analysts and game announcers used on national broadcasts and tolerate the rest. There are a few involved with WBB who I really enjoy Debbie Antonelli, Beth Mowens, and Pam Ward but they seem to be used infrequently for games I see - anyone know why? They would seem to be an upgrade over most of the ones I do see. Mowens and Antonelli produce those pod casts which are frequently very good.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I love Kara as an analyst and I cringe at a number of the other analysts and game announcers used on national broadcasts and tolerate the rest. There are a few involved with WBB who I really enjoy Debbie Antonelli, Beth Mowens, and Pam Ward but they seem to be used infrequently for games I see - anyone know why? They would seem to be an upgrade over most of the ones I do see. Mowens and Antonelli produce those pod casts which are frequently very good.

As to Antonelli, she does a ton of games, but doesn't work for ESPN during the season. Historically, a lot of ACC and I think the Big Ten network, etc. Mowens and Ward are play by play folks, I don't know why they don't do more. Ward I think I see more often on Women's Basketball, of course Mowens does a lot of softball and has done Women's Volleyball in the past.

Reaction Score
While I'm not a great Peck fan, I think she is better at the game than in the studio, so I'm ok with that. As some said, while Lobo is very good on the air, some of her calls at games were grating, she needed a different instructor than Doris Burke, IMO. Always seemed good in previous studio stints.

As to Peck's employment as a coach, I would suggest her resume is not spectacular. After a spectacular 2 years at Purdue, she had a decided mediocre career in the W and then went 72-76 in 5 years at Florida.

An unspectacular resume does not make one a bad coach. Great players make great coaches. My personal feeling is that Coach Auriemma's best job as a coach was in 2006 when he took a relatively pedestrian UConn team to the regional final against Duke and almost won it. There were some very good players on that team, but no one that could be described as great. Carolyn Peck never had the players, and Florida never seemed as committed to women's basketball as they were to football and men's basketball. Given the success of the popular programs at Florida, one would think it would make recruiting easier.

There are any number of coaches who are now highly successful after a string of early failures. Of course, they learned from their mistakes, but the one constant variable to their success is great players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Recruiting is part of coaching, too. It is part of managing a program which is something many fans simply don't understand. Kevin McGuff is off to an excellent start because he is gathering talent. Only after you have some collected talent can you vie successfully on the court. But and it is a huge BUT you can coach a team into failure or at least shortfall. Geno has always succeeded at all aspects of managing a program and it leads to players leaving better than when they arrived and winning titles while they are in Storrs.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Peck is a palindrome wrapped in a spoonerism waiting to happen...

She doesn't bother me as much as she bothers some here but you are spot on about that sense that she is a bit uneasy on air & the ever present cloud of anticipation of a foul up... the good Reverend had one thing working for him that she does not... the good Reverend's missteps could be funny...

Reverend Spooner reprimanded one of his students for "fighting a liar in the quadrangle" and another who "hissed my mystery lecture." To the latter he added, "You have tasted two worms."

During WWI he reassured his students, "When our boys come home from France, we will have the hags flung out."

His goofs at chapel were legendary. "Our Lord is a shoving leopard," .

Officiating at a wedding, he prompted a hesitant bridegroom, "Son, it is now kisstomary to cuss the bride."

YOPB

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Peck is a palindrome ... and she refuses to wear the glasses she needs to read the teleporter...
best Freudian slip of the year. I am assuming that a teleporter is where ThisJustIn wants Ms. Peck to deposit herself, so she can be removed...

In just this errs This Just In.
………
Or does she?
Paladin 2.jpg

“And in other news, this just in from This Just In: Carolyn Peck has again stumbled into a teleporter without her glasses, beaming herself to 1963 Hollywood, where she now stars in Have Gun Will Travel, replacing Richard Boone as Palindrome Emperor Palpatine some gun slinger. Apparently enthralled after meeting Elvis Presley, Peck refuses to return to 2013 Connecticut in the ESPN teleporter, claiming “Able was I ere I saw Elbis,.. uhh Elvis.’”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom