Reasons to be optimistic for next year | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Reasons to be optimistic for next year

Reaction Score
We need a 2 guard, who can get his own shot and make 3 pointers. Because we don't know if we have enough next year with what we have. When will we know who is coming back?

Reaction Score
LOL stop it. Our best player is returning (Sanogo). AJax will improve drastically and the offense that Hawk, Karaaban and Floyd will bring to the table will make us a realistic threat in the tourney
Sanogo is our best player but if this year didn't convince you that having your best player be a traditional center isn't working in today's game unless he's surrounded by a bunch of shooters, not sure what to tell you.

I think Hawkins, Karaban and Floyd will all be great eventually, but saying two borderline top 100 recruits who haven't played a minute and a guy who showed flashes this year but was inconsistent are going to not only get us to the tourney but make us a realistic threat is asking a lot.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Because of the roster uncertainty, right now I’m thinking we’re gonna take one step back and move forward the following season. If certain players come back and we use the portal, that will change

Reaction Score
We haven’t asked him to be a lead guard since.
That's not true. Thru the middle of Big East play we asked him plenty of times to be the lead guard when Cole needed a rest around the 12:00 min mark. Teams would pressure him and or offense would stall and Hurley had to bring Cole back in sooner than anticipated.

Latest in the season it was apparent that Jackson was better suited for the job.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That's not true. Thru the middle of Big East play we asked him plenty of times to be the lead guard when Cole needed a rest around the 12:00 min mark. Teams would pressure him and or offense would stall and Hurley had to bring Cole back in sooner than anticipated.

Latest in the season it was apparent that Jackson was better suited for the job.
There’s a difference between being a consistent starter knowing guys and the coaches trust you and getting 10-15 minutes off the bench knowing you can get subbed out if mistakes happen. Confidence is important. We saw Jordan Hawkins get affected by the same thing. Gaffney has looked like one of our best players when he plays confidently and aggressively ie the tournament last year.

It’s part of the reason I’m looking forward to seeing if guys can play up to how they looked at time next year with consistent starter minutes like how Cole and Martin did this year.

@navery12 I get it you’re not a fan of any of my opinions. Lol

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sanogo is our best player but if this year didn't convince you that having your best player be a traditional center isn't working in today's game unless he's surrounded by a bunch of shooters, not sure what to tell you.

That and then if your best player is a traditional center he damn well better shoot 10 percentage points higher.

Reaction Score
I like both kids but if UConn is relying on Gaff and Akok for major contributions next season, they’re in trouble.
Agreed, I bet those 2 are the least used starters if they start at all. Ajax is enough of a facilitator that I bet we see floyd/hawkins/jackson lineups, with sool taking minutes too. Samson will play big minutes at the 4, so could karaban so we'll see, wouldnt say major contributions, but based on the past i bet this is the lineup hurley will go with, he plays his more experienced players at the moment.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I bet those 2 are the least used starters if they start at all. Ajax is enough of a facilitator that I bet we see floyd/hawkins/jackson lineups, with sool taking minutes too. Samson will play big minutes at the 4, so could karaban so we'll see, wouldnt say major contributions, but based on the past i bet this is the lineup hurley will go with, he plays his more experienced players at the moment.
If gaff and Akok are starters, they’re in trouble.

Reaction Score
Eh it could be worse, would prefer Samson emerging and a transfer pg for sure, but I still think gaff can show more than what he had this past year.
Maybe so, but I certainly would not be comfortable with those two being starters at this point. They seem like great young men, but for whatever reasons, it just hasn’t come together. It happens. But no way they should go into the season banking on major minutes and contributions from Gaff or Akok next season, major risk doing that.

Reaction Score
Can not run our offense through Adama next year. He has to be one of the players on the court that can score while we run an offense that uses every player. The missed layups with no one near the rim to get an offensive rebound really hurt us.

Reaction Score
Can not run our offense through Adama next year. He has to be one of the players on the court that can score while we run an offense that uses every player. The missed layups with no one near the rim to get an offensive rebound really hurt us.
He does do that a lot, but watching Carlton, I remember him doing that a lot too. Sanogo has way better touch naturally but if he keeps improving the footwork, maybe he’ll stop the bad misses.

Reaction Score
What do you mean East West game?

That was the whole thing with Gaff that was such a great fit that year. He didn’t do too much. He ran offense, didn’t turn it over, and took what was given to him. Craig Austrie with more athleticism.

Gaffney isn’t a scorer though, he’s a facilitator. Hard to ask a guy like that to make an impact off the bench if he’s expected to come in and score consistently IMO.
I get the feeling you’ve watched a different Jalen Gaffney than us the past 3 years.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He does do that a lot, but watching Carlton, I remember him doing that a lot too. Sanogo has way better touch naturally but if he keeps improving the footwork, maybe he’ll stop the bad misses.
Hey man your profile picture makes me think of the 09 team that was a favorite. AJ Price was such a great, dependable, clutch guard for us. They were so fun to watch when healthy.

We had such great talent from 2004-2011. Crazy to think AJ could’ve been the missing piece to 06 and the Dyson injury cost us another ring in 09. The 09 team was the best team in the country until dyson went down. Still got to the Final 4.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I’ve read through a lot of this, and agreed with a ton of what’s been said.

It all boils down, to me, to the fact we’ll have a really talented core of Jackson, Sanogo and Hawkins. Any of those guys can be a game changer/all-conference type player. Then we have LOADS of depth, though unproven.

Basketball is interesting because fit and chemistry can matter a ton, and you only need 1-3 studs and the rest can be good supporting cast.

We have the talent to be that, the ceiling is there. That’s what to be optimistic about. If guys develop right, especially in today’s college BBall atmosphere, they can absolutely become dangerous and have a great year.

Look at Arizona this year or any other of a million examples every year. We’ll have tons of talent at every spot. That potential should be exciting rather than worrying, for fans.

caw

Reaction Score
If gaff and Akok are starters, they’re in trouble.

More worried about Gaff than Akok. Akok can be a good player if healthy (big question).

If you can pencil in AJax, Sanogo and Hawkins, UConn should be decent.

If Akok starts at the four and stays healthy, UConn should be good.

PG and bench depth are the big questions. So many unknowns off the bench, but a ton of talent as well.

Reaction Score
Reasons to be excited about next year:

Hawkins
Jackson
Sanogo
Akok

and the return of some talented underclassman plus we have two scholarships open. Hopefully Cole fills one.

Reaction Score

It all boils down, to me, to the fact we’ll have a really talented core of Jackson, Sanogo and Hawkins. Any of those guys can be a game changer/all-conference type player. Then we have LOADS of depth, though unproven.

Basketball is interesting because fit and chemistry can matter a ton, and you only need 1-3 studs and the rest can be good supporting cast.

We have the talent to be that, the ceiling is there. That’s what to be optimistic about. If guys develop right, especially in today’s college BBall atmosphere, they can absolutely become dangerous and have a great year.

Look at Arizona this year or any other of a million examples every year. We’ll have tons of talent at every spot. That potential should be exciting rather than worrying, for fans.
I just don’t see the wealth of talent at guard. Without RJ we have no evidence of even one quality backcourt performer. I’d love to be optimistic but we need guards.

Reaction Score
Kinda doesn't matter the supporting talent you have if you don't have guards that can create for others and get the ball to them in the right spots. Guards, esp PG, are the key to success in March

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

That core is what I’m most excited about. Talented guys who can play well together. Sanogo should get a lot of looks and points this year outside of post ups.

Reaction Score

The potential is exciting with a proven lead guard.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I hear the concerns about lead guard, and certainly I agree. It's the most important spot in college ball, to me.

But we also have guys that we don't know that they can't be. We just know they have talent but haven't yet shown it.

Also, let's just say for example Hawkins is a combo of sophomore years Lamb/Bouk/Ben/Ray and consistently is scoring 13-23 ... we also have Andre, Akok, Karaban and most importantly Sanogo in that scenario to give tons of offensive balance.

I think having a pure PG who just runs the show for the offense is all we'd need there. Is it impossible that a combo of Diggins, senior Gaffney and Floyd, plus Jackson being a distributor, can get the team set up and be show runners for the scorers?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom