Reasons to be optimistic for next year | The Boneyard

Reasons to be optimistic for next year

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I saw a couple of posts thinking about next year being a rebuilding year and wanted to give some thoughts.

I'm really hopeful about next year's team being able to surprise folks. Very excited to see how our talent that we have step up from our very good recruiting classes and see how guys step up.

Couple things should be better next year:
  • Overall talent
We are replacing super seniors and transfers with guys who were top recruits. Our seniors were tough and played pretty good defense this year but were terrible offensively. This had to be the worst layup shooting team I've seen. Hoping that our guys can be much better here. We have a couple of top recruiting classes filling in for our seniors who will be gone.

• Fit
This past year was a disaster fit wise. We were playing two true centers, two forwards on the perimeter, and had a PG who was not exactly a facilitator but more of a scorer. Next year there should be very defined roles for things guys are good at. Jordan Hawkins should be the clear go to scorer. Andre Jackson the next guy up on the perimeter. Sanogo in the paint and Akok as a stretch guy. If Gaffney is starting he is at his best when he is facilitating the offense. His freshman year was great playing with Bouknight and next year he as a Hawkins. EVERYONE is a better passer than the seniors that left so hopefully our offense can look a lot better in general with more floor spacing.

I think of it being similar to the 2010 season going into the 2011 season. No, there's no Kemba on this team but it could be addition through subtraction fit wise and letting younger talent blossom throughout the year. I'm very excited for the reigns to go from Cole and Martin to Hawkins and Jackson. Two far more talented guys capable of being the best player on the court and actual NBA talent.

I don't think next year is as doom and gloom as a lot are making it out to be.

Reaction Score
I'm going to withhold real commentary on where we are going into next season until we see who we ship in via the portal. If we get two guys that way who can step in and immediately start it's a whole different story.

With that said, I'm not optimistic at all about next year. I think DH is more comfortable coaching hard nosed upperclassmen than he is at developing talent.

AJax is an intriguing player but unless and until he has a jumper worked out his limitations will always stunt the offense.

Our incoming freshmen are wildly talented....but so were Hawkins and Diggins this year, and the former was good but nowhere near the hype and the latter didn't play. DH will be forced to play younger guys next year, but expecting the talent coming in to be more productive immediately than fourth or fifth year guys with less talent isn't happening.

I don't see the addition by subtraction thing. I think next year's team will theoretically have a higher ceiling, but they're going to drop games this year's team would win to inferior opponents because of youth.

With hindsight, the huge failure was not going further with the Bouknight led team (though DH gets somewhat of a pass due to his injuries, etc).

Next year will be fascinating for DH. He won't have scrappy upperclassmen to completely rely on - he's going to have to develop young talent and fast. How quickly can he? Can he finally run a competent offense while keeping the defense good (will the high hedge go, etc.)?

Reaction Score
As others have said, this year was a fairly high-floor, low-ceiling type of team with established players like Whaley, Polley, Martin, and Cole who had well defined strengths and weaknesses and not a lot of room for upside.

Whaley's defense was generally solid and he added an outside shot, but didn't give much on offense.

Polley hit some big shots when needed, but was a liability in other areas and didn't give much more than that.

Martin dramatically improved his outside shooting, rebounded and defended well, and bullied some defenders into the lane, but wasn't a take-over-the-game kind of guy.

Cole was great at creating for himself, limited turnovers better this year, but wasn't a great distributor.

Next year will be the opposite. A lot more variance and uncertainty. Jackson could continue to be erratic and unable to create his own shot, or he could be a legitimate option to attack the rim and score or create for others. Hawkins could continue to look like a boy among men out there, or he could tighten up his handle, embrace the physicality of the game, and be a go-to scorer. Floyd could be Christian Vital or Terrence Samuel. Karaban could be Niels Giffey or Leon Tolksdorf. Clingan could be Travis Knight or Justin Brown. We don't know.

And, of course, we don't yet know who will unexpectedly be added (or leave).

Reaction Score
I'd be very content to have a rebuilding year. Play Diggins and Hawkins. Play additional freshman guards. Rebuilding years can be fun too.

Edit: I'm a bit warry of transfer portal when it comes to PGs. If they are going to be around at least 2 or more years, sure. But I don't want to be in a position where we need to get a new transfer portal guard (especially pg) every year. But maybe that's what DH thought last off-season. Maybe this is part of the new normal.

Reaction Score
You make some valid points. However, a lot of players will have to step into new roles that they haven't been proven in yet. So there are many question marks. How many of those get answered well? If most of them are answered well then they will have a good season.

Reaction Score
Also just remember that 4 of our top scoring options this past year were mid major level recruited players. The talent gap between them and Bouknight/Hawkins potential level people is night and day. I'm excited but theres still gaps they need to fill, particularly at the PG spot.

Bold prediction: Corey Floyd Jr will be one of our top 3 scorers along with Sanogo and Hawkins. I think he's going to be so so so good

Reaction Score
I am actually a bit higher on this team every day....I do think that this team we just finished watching were bad fits together and the lineups without any shooting were dreadful at times. I am pretty high on floyd and karaban, I dont see why at least one of them cant score 10 points a game next year. They both have reps as strong shooters and will have been on campus for a year. I am also still hopeful that diggins will be a starting quality point guard and can at least give us solid minutes next year. When I look at the roster overall, I see alot of shooting potential which is something we havent had since the 2014

Reaction Score
Reasons to be optimistic:
1. Absolutely no more connection to Ollie players taking that narrative off the table.
2. Karaban, Floyd, and DC.
3. After a wakeup call for Hawkins on the level of physicality needed, I'm optimistic he comes back stronger and meaner...and able to dribble with either hand.
4. Hurley finally loses the "the s!*t show" he inherited logic.
5. I'd love to see Jackson get a pull up game, but that seems a bridge too far.
6. Sonogo watches tape and learns from his shortcomings.
7. UConn is a good brand and could land a helpful portal or two.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We have gotten better every year since Hurley got here. This year's team had flaws and we ran into a buzz saw. I expect next year to be better.
you think we were better this year than last year? Why? Curious.

And actually let me extrapolate that. You think we were better this year than CV's last season where we ended the season as a buzzsaw right before covid killed the conference and AAC tournament?

In hindsight that team that ended the year with senior CV was Hurleys best team at UConn. Such a shame that we didnt get to explore that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I feel next year will be better than most expect simply because Jordan Hawkins/Sanogo/Karaban are going to be unreal, however other factors need to happen to pull the whole puzzle together:
1) DH employs a mentor to help him with the issues that have become apparent and will not improve on it's own.
2) All the young guys get appreciable playing time beyond end of game minutes vs the early season cupcakes. Why worry about the rankings early in the season when injuries and fatigue come to haunt you later in the season. I would rather be unranked through December than fizzle in February and March - especially in March.
3) Sanogo has to become a basketball player. He needs to work on a midrange game, he needs to hone his on floor recognition/passing skills and needs to learn when to dunk and that he needs to see the rim with every shot and that the backboard is his friend.
4) Clingan has to see the floor immediately and everyone has to overlook any early season hiccups. You cannot coach 7'2" and he can only improve. Sanogo is not a 5 and will never play 5 in the NBA if he gets that far.
5) AJ cannot be the PG, neither can Gaffney. Sool is the only true PG on the roster and he was damn good coming in to UConn but all he did was hold Andrew Hurley's hand on the bench. I've seen him in practice and see what he can do, Hurley has spoken to his abilities yet he doesn't play - yeah he has had a few rough minutes in actual game - I will bet my house that if this kid was at Houston he would be playing and giving productive minutes. I don't think, from what I have seen, Floyd is really a PG. He is a very solid player and he loves to mix it up. I see him in the mold of a Ben Gordon - a solid scorer and would spell Hawk at the 2 and slip Hawk to the 3 when UConn goes small.
6) Alex Karaban is a talent that UConn hasn't seen in quite a while if ever - he has size 6'8" (needs a bit of muscle) yet can play nearly any position on the floor - he came this winter with a great midrange shooting game and has over the time improved his 3 pt shooting greatly. His biggest weakness is that he is not the quickest and needs to hit the boards with better positioning. He is too good not to play. He should be the 4 or 3 depending who else is on the court.
7) No way do you go xfer portal for a PG - why recruit and do this? As far as I am concerned, the portal is to overcome issues not addressed in recruitment. DH can recruit and has done so, he needs to develop players.

I would like to see a lineup in December of:

1) Sool/Floyd/Gaff
2) Hawkins/Floyd/Gaff
3) Karaban/AJ 50/50 PT
4)Sanogo/Karaban/Johnson
5)Clingan/Johnson/Sanogo

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

And actually let me extrapolate that. You think we were better this year than CV's last season where we ended the season as a buzzsaw right before covid killed the conference and AAC tournament?

In hindsight that team that ended the year with senior CV was Hurleys best team at UConn. Such a shame that we didnt get to explore that.
Couldn't agree with you more
CV's last year - that team would have made noise in the NCAAs - there was something special about that team and the was CV. Last years team was not as good as this year simply because there was no leader on that team and the team lacked any character/identity. This years team relied on 6/5 players and that spells disaster in all cases.

Reaction Score

I do, largely because we were so consistent. Pretty much stayed in the 15-30 range all year, with the majority of that being top 25. Better performance in the BE regular season, may have finished 3rd again but a better winning percentage in a significantly tougher conference than 2020.

Now the end result was the same, 1st round loss and for some that's all that matters. But I don't think 1 game wipes away the gains everyone here noticed all season

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I do, largely because we were so consistent. Pretty much stayed in the 15-30 range all year, with the majority of that being top 25. Better performance in the BE regular season, may have finished 3rd again but a better winning percentage in a significantly tougher conference than 2020.

Now the end result was the same, 1st round loss and for some that's all that matters. But I don't think 1 game wipes away the gains everyone here noticed all season

Whelp we lost as a 5 (which some people whispered could be a 4) to a 12 (which the committee admitted was actually a 13 but for placement) .....

last years 7-10 was easier to swallow, and the BigEast confence results were the same.

top 25? break down the winning percentages.

We had a win or two better for sure. But overall? same season.

Reaction Score
i'm as big a cv fan as anyone on this board, but are people really arguing that a team which started gaffney, vital, freshman year bouk, whaley, and carlton (with gilbert, badams, and sid wilson off the bench) is better than this year's team? is that just because we ended one season on a win streak and the other with two losses?? that 2019-20 team also lost 4 in a row and 6 games in a 7-game span (including losses to south florida and tulsa) midway through the season.

i also think there are legitimate reasons to be optimistic for next year. looking forward to watching the young guys take the reigns...

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
i'm as big a cv fan as anyone on this board, but are people really arguing that a team which started gaffney, vital, freshman year bouk, whaley, and carlton (with gilbert, badams, and sid wilson off the bench) is better than this year's team? is that just because we ended one season on a win streak and the other with two losses?? that 2019-20 team also lost 4 in a row and 6 games in a seven game span (including losses to south florida and tulsa) midway through the season.

i also think there are legitimate reasons to be optimistic for next year. looking forward to watching the young guys take the reigns...

The Houston game on senior night was the best Ive seen UConn play in 3 years. And they were on a roll before that.

In late February early March, Bouk was already soph Bouk.

Reaction Score
Speaking of outlook for next year: Is there any shot we see Castle reclassify and join the team as a 2022? Or is he planning to stay in the class of 2023? Haven’t seen any info on that

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
i'm as big a cv fan as anyone on this board, but are people really arguing that a team which started gaffney, vital, freshman year bouk, whaley, and carlton (with gilbert, badams, and sid wilson off the bench) is better than this year's team? is that just because we ended one season on a win streak and the other with two losses?? that 2019-20 team also lost 4 in a row and 6 games in a 7-game span (including losses to south florida and tulsa) midway through the season.

The Memphis game which was the last game at XL that season (game which Akok was injured) was just as impressive if not better than the Houston game. No way this years team wins that game. Carlton had 13 rebounds and 3 blocks, IW came in for Akok and had 6 blocks, 4 on Achiuwa and shut him down for most of the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You are right - the fact that there was no tourney - I have basically forgotten about that team. But the thing that made that team better was having 2 great guards. That is also the thing that held this team back. Needed another reliable ball handler.

Reaction Score
Back to reasons for optimism

Dan Hurley coached programs have only gotten worse once in his entire coaching career. He has literally never had his winning percentage go down year to year except one season at URI

Sanogo has a chance to be the best big in the country

If Jackson can improve as much next year as he did this year, he can be a 10/8/4 guy every night.

Hawkins is just as talented as anyone in college basketball. If the light switch turns on, he can be what Bouk was for us last year come post-season play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom