Really sad of CV | The Boneyard

Really sad of CV

Reaction Score
Christian Vital played the best basketball of his career the last month and became a true leader. He led us to some incredibly exciting basketball and a lot of wins during that stretch. He legit had a decent shot of carrying us to the tournament and he's not going to have the chance unfortunately. His career should be remembered for always playing like a pittbull and turning himself into a damn good basketball player. Sad.

Reaction Score
Was something actually announced or are we just assuming what will happen after the Hoiberg incident?

Reaction Score
Was something actually announced or are we just assuming what will happen after the Hoiberg incident?
No, nothing official but with the NBA suspending the season they aren't gonna put these kids at risk. Fred Hoiberg left the bench tonight and was taken immediately to the hospital. Sounds like he may have been released from the hospital already with flu-like symptoms but the whole Nebraska team was quarantined. After seeing what's going on in Italy and how things are rapidly ramping up here they're going to have to cancel.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
It is very sad but hopefully this post is premature. Whether they play or not tomorrow nothing has been made official thus far. I've been looking forward to the tournaments but also hoping the league can make the decision that's best for everyone. Not sure if they would just cancel the whole thing, they could just do what the NBA is currently doing and suspend games for a period of time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No, nothing official but with the NBA suspending the season they aren't gonna put these kids at risk. Fred Hoiberg left the bench tonight and was taken immediately to the hospital. Sounds like he may have been released from the hospital already with flu-like symptoms but the whole Nebraska team was quarantined. After seeing what's going on in Italy and how things are rapidly ramping up here they're going to have to cancel.

Influenza A, not corona.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are thousands of CV stories this year across all sports and all levels. It sucks for all of them. There is a chance that this pandemic burns out in a month or two, and I think the NCAA should consider playing the games in some format when it does, not just for the athletes, but for a country that will want a return to normalcy on the other side of this catastrophe.

Reaction Score
My guess is the NCAA and the conferences take this day by day until a player/coach is infected. They’d love to make it through Sunday and then have the field set so they could potentially postpone the tournament knowing the field. I’d be surprised if they avoid any positive cases until then but who knows.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
There are like 20 threads on here freaking out about the virus, figured I'd jut pick one to post this in...

Interesting article from the NYT about people obsessing over the virus. Below is an interesting stat (assuming it is correct) about the place where this all began that puts things into a bit of perspective, hopefully.

Obviously it is wise to exercise caution and do what we can to prevent the spread, especially since testing just began and no serious actions to curb the spread took place until this week, but the hysteria I've seen here and other places online may be a little over the top.

"However, according to data from Johns Hopkins University, Hubei, the Chinese province where the virus emerged, has reported 67,760 infected people out of a population of about 59 million, an incidence rate of 0.11 percent. This means that 99.89 percent were not infected, suggesting that the American stalkers are probably overestimating their level of risk."

Reaction Score
There are like 20 threads on here freaking out about the virus, figured I'd jut pick one to post this in...

Interesting article from the NYT about people obsessing over the virus. Below is an interesting stat (assuming it is correct) about the place where this all began that puts things into a bit of perspective, hopefully.

Obviously it is wise to exercise caution and do what we can to prevent the spread, especially since testing just began and no serious actions to curb the spread took place until this week, but the hysteria I've seen here and other places online may be a little over the top.

"However, according to data from Johns Hopkins University, Hubei, the Chinese province where the virus emerged, has reported 67,760 infected people out of a population of about 59 million, an incidence rate of 0.11 percent. This means that 99.89 percent were not infected, suggesting that the American stalkers are probably overestimating their level of risk."

It's amazing people still are willing to believe any info/#'s coming out of China.

Reaction Score

Oh you mean there is information out there that doesn’t feed the fear? You never see this on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox. I wonder why

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It's amazing people still are willing to believe any info/#'s coming out of China.

Serious cases / deaths are probably accurately reported, since these are the people showing up at the hospital. The total number of cases (since it can be mild / no symptoms at all) may be higher, you are right about that.

Multiply their by 10X and that's still 1% of the total population of the province where this broke out who contracted the disease. That means 99% did not / do not have it at the epicenter of the outbreak. Plus the more you increase the number of people who have contracted it but didn't die, the death rate drops, which should help ease concerns (which could be the case if infection numbers are understated).

I'm not saying this isn't serious (the fact it can be carried without symptons and spread so easily is definitely concerning) and it should call for serious action (I hope we can follow the examples of Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan and Steven Krajewski to curb the outbreak) but I also think it is worth putting the numbers into perspective.

Reaction Score
Serious cases / deaths are probably accurately reported, since these are the people showing up at the hospital. The total number of cases (since it can be mild / no symptoms at all) may be higher, you are right about that.

Multiply their by 10X and that's still 1% of the total population of the province where this broke out who contracted the disease. That means 99% did not / do not have it at the epicenter of the outbreak. Plus the more you increase the number of people who have contracted it but didn't die, the death rate drops, which should help ease concerns (which could be the case if infection numbers are understated).

I'm not saying this isn't serious (the fact it can be carried without symptons and spread so easily is definitely concerning) and it should call for serious action (I hope we can follow the examples of Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan and Steven Krajewski to curb the outbreak) but I also think it is worth putting the numbers into perspective.
Why do you think serious cases/deaths are probably accurately reported? China lies about everything. They wanted people to believe nothing was happening as this spread throughout China and the world and now they want people to believe there are no more cases and they conquered the virus.

A little transparency and the world could have gotten out ahead of this. The Chinese gov't controls everything that's ever released, nothing they report should ever be believed.

Reaction Score

Part of the problem here is that there is little data that we can trust. Even the global influenza data is suspect - just read an NHI study that claims global influenza deaths are likely massively underreported because of inconsistencies in what are considered influenza deaths.

People are running around quoting mortality and transmission rates that they read on CNN and now everyone is in a tizzy. Next thing they know they have corona and run to the hospital because they think they are about to die. And then our hospitals are overloaded leaving hospital workers to decide which patients have a mild cold versus respiratory failure. Bed shortages and the cycle keeps spinning.

Bottom line is this - nobody really knows what is happening worldwide or in the US. They know that we need to act to be safe and in an abundance of caution the collective we are taking drastic measures. That should be enough - no further gaslighting is necessary.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Why do you think serious cases/deaths are probably accurately reported? China lies about everything. They wanted people to believe nothing was happening as this spread throughout China and the world and now they want people to believe there are no more cases and they conquered the virus.

A little transparency and the world could have gotten out ahead of this. The Chinese gov't controls everything that's ever released, nothing they report should ever be believed.

Sure, I'll play along, those numbers are also under reported. Either way, increase what's been reported by 100X, which would be astronomical under-reporting, and you're looking at 10% of the population at the epicenter who have contracted the virus. That means 90% of the population is healthy.

I agree that if they had been upfront this thing could have been slowed dramatically.

Again, not downplaying the severity or criticizing any of the actions that are going into effect the past few days. I am hopeful we can curb this thing ASAP. I'm just trying to offer a way to think about it the data we currently have that is less scary than the current doomsday projections.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem here is that there is little data that we can trust. Even the global influenza data is suspect - just read an NHI study that claims global influenza deaths are likely massively underreported because of inconsistencies in what are considered influenza deaths.

People are running around quoting mortality and transmission rates that they read on CNN and now everyone is in a tizzy. Next thing they know they have corona and run to the hospital because they think they are about to die. And then our hospitals are overloaded leaving hospital workers to decide which patients have a mild cold versus respiratory failure. Bed shortages and the cycle keeps spinning.

Bottom line is this - nobody really knows what is happening worldwide or in the US. They know that we need to act to be safe and in an abundance of caution the collective we are taking drastic measures. That should be enough - no further gaslighting is necessary.
The H1N1 didn't seem that bad when it was declared over. Reports come out years later that it was 10 to 20 times more deadly than initially thought/reported. Whenever this thing winds down, no matter what the numbers look like you can guarantee we'll find out the #'s were a lot higher when it's all truly examined years later, not to mention all the people who seem okay but have permanent lung scarring.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They expect 20% of us to get it. Germany expects 60%.
Germans viruses are so much more efficient...

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
Remember Swine Flu 2009. US had 62 million infected and 17 thousand deaths. That was a China flu just like this one. No panic. NC beats Syracuse. Play in fanless stadium at least. No matter what China wins USA loses.

Reaction Score
Remember Swine Flu 2009. US had 62 million infected and 17 thousand deaths. That was a China flu just like this one. No panic. NC beats Syracuse. Play in fanless stadium at least. No matter what China wins USA loses.
At the end of the swine flu pandemic WHO reported the world death toll was 18,500 people. Years later we found out it was 10-15 times that.

Knowing how eaaily transmittable and how deadly this can be and knowing we have a severe lack of testing kits why would you take issue with the precautions?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom