really really OT. i hate dell support | The Boneyard

really really OT. i hate dell support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been on the phone for over an hour with a person who is reading from a book in outer mongolia..

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I used to hate Dell support and then I met Motorola support.

And then I hated Motorola support until I met Verizon support.

Then, I hate Verizon support until I met Samsung support.

Now, everyone else looks great by comparison.

They asked us to physically bring something to a warranty center on another continent.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Meet Toshiba support. The very worst. I got the pleasure of talking to "Kevin" the other day. I'm sure that was really his name and all...

Reaction Score
It's easy to mock people in other countries who work trying to help us with our tech problems, but look at the alternative:

who are you going to find in America for 8 bucks an hour who can read English well, speak English well, be polite on the phone, use common sense when helping customers, and be reliable enough to show up for work every day?

Good luck with that. Let me know how it works out.

Maybe you can get of the brahs in this generation:

hardcore-gamer-smoking-pizza-slob.jpg

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Last night I was on the phone with Cox technical support...a woman from Virginia who was on the phone for over 30 minutes, trying to help me sort out the source of a degradation of our TV picture (multiple splitters and a booster). She was amazingly polite and knew her stuff. It didn't fix the problem, but it was a positive tech support experience. She went out of her way to help me get cable protection for free so I won't have to pay if they have to change non-Cox cables. It was a surprising experience.

Reaction Score
I wish that was the case with dell. Last four times i have called language has been an issue. I get it is globalization of companies. But why am i punished... i need to move to macs

Reaction Score
I wish that was the case with dell. Last four times i have called language has been an issue. I get it is globalization of companies. But why am i punished... i need to move to macs
Because you only need to learn Mandarin for Macs?

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
If you upgrade to Dell's "pro" 24x7 tech support, you get US based tech support. Well worth the $ to us. Also if needed you get next day in home service

Reaction Score
If you upgrade to Dell's "pro" 24x7 tech support, you get US based tech support. Well worth the $ to us. Also if needed you get next day in home service

So you have to pay extra to get the "good" support as opposed to the "average" support?

What ever happend to 100% customer support & satisfaction being included as part of the product???

Reaction Score
So you have to pay extra to get the "good" support as opposed to the "average" support?

What ever happend to 100% customer support & satisfaction being included as part of the product???
Hey corporations are people too. Some better than others.

MTHusky

Reaction Score
How much$$$
It was under $200.00 for 3 year's of coverage. Don't know if you can upgrade after purchase and not all computers are eligible.

Reaction Score
I bought it through the teacher union. 27% off and two extra years of warranty if i buy two years

MTHusky

Reaction Score
I'd advise you to call Dell sales and see if you can upgrade and what the costs would be.

Dave

Reaction Score
I've had two Dells (first one lasted me 6 years before I upgraded, but it still works) and never had to call tech support once. Love them and I'll never buy anything else.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, what is the draw in buying a Dell that is going to cost hundred(s) more (because it's Dell, a huge corporation) than a lesser brand you can find on NewEgg that has all the same hardware and operating system?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, what is the draw in buying a Dell that is going to cost hundred(s) more (because it's Dell, a huge corporation) than a lesser brand you can find on NewEgg that has all the same hardware and operating system?

There has been talk that Dell is not what it used to be when it comes to quality of products. I had one that lasted an incredibly long time, but that was from the earlier years. Now I'm getting distracted by UCHuskies08 hurdler and forgot what I was going to say.

Reaction Score
Dell uses the 'stuff' that any other PC has: MPU by Intel or AMD, HDD by WD or Seagate, screen from AOU/Samsung using glass from Corning, and supporting chips from every semiconductor co in the world. When Dell started the co in his dorm room, you don't think he was 'making' all this stuff, do you? As early investors in Dell, let me tell you that he didn't. The PC is a commodity - the only difference between brands is the name on the box, and the mix of components. (Well, Apple has their own proprietary o/s, etc). And perhaps your ability to understand their 'help' desk.

Reaction Score
Dell isn't hundreds of dollars more than Acer who is pretty much the cheapest. Having said that their design and quality leaves something to be desired. Same goes for HP who went down hill the past 4 or 5 years. Right now I'd go for Acer (cheap and good) or Lenovo (good).

MTHusky

Reaction Score
Dell uses the 'stuff' that any other PC has: MPU by Intel or AMD, HDD by WD or Seagate, screen from AOU/Samsung using glass from Corning, and supporting chips from every semiconductor co in the world. When Dell started the co in his dorm room, you don't think he was 'making' all this stuff, do you? As early investors in Dell, let me tell you that he didn't. The PC is a commodity - the only difference between brands is the name on the box, and the mix of components. (Well, Apple has their own proprietary o/s, etc). And perhaps your ability to understand their 'help' desk.

You are correct that Dell uses the same "stuff that any other PC maker does, but like buying real estate where location, location, location are the 3 most important items when buying, it's support, support, support when buying a computer. We use 3 Dell computers in our business and when/if one goes down we need it fixed fast, so sending the computer off to a repair depot won't cut it nor would waiting for support to reopen the next day or Monday morning if the PC dies on a Friday evening . Dell Pro support is open 24x7x365 and if needed (knocking on wood since it hasn't been needed in 10 years) next day in home/business repair service. Finally, Dell Pro Support is US based which is very important to these old ears. Dealing with Microsoft, Quickbooks etc. tech support which is off shore is so frustrating!! So the extra money we pay for Dell is well worth it to us.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
Been on the phone for over an hour with a person who is reading from a book in outer mongolia..

► It could be worse. Two or three business sources report that Dell and and H.P. will soon br out of the computer business. That happened to me when Gateway went bye-by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom