Really interesting interview on program building: PJ Fleck | The Boneyard

Really interesting interview on program building: PJ Fleck

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Is "row the boat" the new "chopping wood"?

Reaction Score
Amazing enthusiasm and commentary on a process for a young head coach trying to turn a forgotten program around. I really do wish him and WMU the best.

Almost sounds like he and HCBD were in a psychology class together.

Reaction Score
This is the WMU that beat us twice during the PP years correct? Foooooooooockkkkkkkkk

Reaction Score
Does sound familiar. As we all know Diaco is big on culture change. Diaco's PR issue after year one is the 2-10 record vs. Flecks 9-3. They both sound very similar.
Kind of why Diaco said he didn't want to take shortcuts to getting the program to where it needs.

"What you're seeing is wins and losses, which to me don't necessarily count in terms of the turnaround of a culture, a program," Fleck said. "We're years away from what I think this program can truly become, where 35,000 people show up every single week, win or lose. Where people around the nation know Western Michigan, understand Western Michigan's brand. Understand 'Row The Boat,' and it becomes a household name.

This is what the UCONN players said before the season about the change in culture.

http://soxanddawgs.com/huskies/video-huskies/the-change-in-culture-under-bob-diaco.html

Reaction Score
Is "row the boat" the new "chopping wood"?

He is a Schiano disciple, but I like him a lot more than Greg in terms of energy and offensive style. He brought a lot of Schiano-isms over to WMU.

He has the program on the right track, and he is recruiting very well for a MAC program. I think he has the highest rated class in MAC history on Rivals.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Does sound familiar. As we all know Diaco is big on culture change. Diaco's PR issue after year one is the 2-10 record vs. Flecks 9-3. They both sound very similar.
K

Fleck went 1-11 in year 1

Reaction Score
PJ FLeck is saying it and so is Justin Fuente, Head Coach of Memphis (who also went from first to last). Fuente said it on the same ESPN podcast that HCB was on-focusing on team chemistry and becoming a team. Same tune HCBD has been preaching all year-Coach Diaco said that team finally started becoming a "team" at about the 3/4 mark of the season.

First practice of the year, Diaco told the players to come out in full pads. So of course, some of the players come out in full pads and others didn't. Coach was pissed and told the players who wore the pads had to run (sprints or stairs-I forget) while the other players (who didn't wear pads) had to go back in the locker room to put on their pads on. As stupid as it sounds, it caused a great divide among the players at the start of the season. Makes me wonder how PP ran this team while he was here for those 3 treacherous years.

Anyways, hopefully their all holdings hands and singing Kumbaya now so they can start winning

Reaction Score
@KegsnEggs: Memphis won 10 games this season. In doing so, it provided a blueprint on how to emerge from program purgatory.

>>Good read:

Step One: Find Your Template
Step Two: Work Your A** Off
Step Three: Savor The Journey and Celebrate Small Victories
Step Four: Develop a Personal Covenant

To rebuild a program from the ground up, you need to follow the steps Fuente laid out. You need to find success through others and incorporate the wisdom of people who have done it before. You need to make the most out of your practice, exhausting each and every hour given in creative ways. You need to celebrate, build on and learn from success, even if these conversations don’t take place in plain sight.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will take awhile for Coach Diaco to get our football program pointed in the right direction. I have faith that things will get better and we will have some really great years. We, fans, just have to be there cheering the team on no matter what. Go, Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom