Really good movies no one seems to know | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Really good movies no one seems to know

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"Wildlike." Parts of it are tough to watch, there is a sexual abuse situation w/ a teenage girl and her uncle. The movie doesn't dwell on it, but it's a key part of why everything else happens. It's very uncomfortable. Beyond that, it becomes a beautiful story about an unlikely friendship between the girl (Ella Purnell) and a middle aged widower (Bruce Greenwood). Set mostly in Alaska so the scenery is stunning. Purnell had a few bit parts before this but I wasn't aware of her. I thought she was excellent. Hollywood has a bad habit of casting actors/actresses that are 5 or even 10 years older than their characters to play teen roles, but I think Purnell actually was about the age of her character (15) at the time it was filmed. It wasn't released until several years later. Greenwood is a solid character actor who rarely has starring roles. He was also excellent in this.

Reaction Score
Not many people I've talked to have seen Serenity, but it's a good watch even if you've never seen the Sci Fi TV series Firefly. Space Cowboys uncovering a conspiracy. First time I saw Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 years a slave), just a great role for him as the unflappable government agent.

Also, Requiem for a Dream, it's played a lot on some pay channels but I don't know many who've seen it. Darren Aronofsky's portrayal of four New Yorkers descending into drug abuse and further down the spiral of life.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not many people I've talked to have seen Serenity, but it's a good watch even if you've never seen the Sci Fi TV series Firefly. Space Cowboys uncovering a conspiracy. First time I saw Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 years a slave), just a great role for him as the unflappable government agent.

Totally agree. I saw the movie first, then saw the TV series. The movie works fine as a stand alone. Also agree about Ejiofor. He's a great actor that isn't nearly as well known as he should be.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
American Movie - you think it's Spinal Tap, but it's actually a documentary.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just thought of a movie I haven't seen for quite a while. Maybe it was mentioned earlier, I didn't scroll back through the entire thread. "The Spitfire Grill."

Reaction Score
Harakiri
Cinema Paradiso
The Burmese Harp
The Human Condition 1-3
Battles Without Honor and Humanity
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Suspiria
The Killing Fields
The Lives of Others
Come and See
Hachi
Le Samourai
Memories of Murder
The Secret In their Eyes
Incendies
The Intouchables

I could go on and on
Incendies was amazing.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure exactly how popular it is but I don't know many others who have seen it - Chef. One of the best feel-good movies I've watched

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Fandango - might be hard for some to get past a young and super cocky Kevin Costner, but worth the movie is worthwhile for the airplane pilot - I recommend partaking in some mind altering substance to fully appreciate this hysterical sequence.

At Close Range is still my favorite Sean Penn performance ever and might be the best Christopher Walken role this side of Deer Hunter.

Nobody's Fool & Hudsucker Proxy are a little more mainstream in their day, but have faded too far off the radar screen.
Good call on Fandango. Not just for the skydiving sequence either. The ending sneaks up on you and is very poignant. The soundtrack was also one of the best of the entire decade (The Who, Elton John, Los Lobos, Carole King, Pat Matheney and Lyle Mays...).

Another one is The Savages. Did Philip Seymour Hoffman make any bad movies?

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you mean by 'no one seems to know', if it's low box office movies, I've got a few. The Michael Douglas reference reminded my of a couple.

Thinking of Michael Douglas:
  • Wonder Boys - Decent movie about an English professor with life problems
  • Falling Down - Might be too famous, but a lot of people I talk to haven't seen it and it's great

US Cinema:
  • Nightcrawlers - Just saw this. Awesome film. Jake Gyllenhaal absolutely crushes it. Belongs on depressing list too I'd think. More Disturbing than anything though
  • October Sky - Coming of age about a poor, coal miner's kid who grows up to be a rocket scientist
  • Garden State - I don't know why more people haven't watched this. Classic indy film
  • Rescue Dawn - Christian Bale. Vietnam POW movie. Underrated under seen.
Sci Fi selections:
  • Moon - If you're a fan of sci fi and you haven't seen this, there's something wrong with you
  • Man From Earth - If you're a fan of sci fi and you haven't seen this, there's something wrong with you
  • A Scanner Darkly - Dystopian Phillip K Dick number. This movie was a flop, but was actually awesome. It was shot digitally, then animated over the top. Great cast. Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson
  • The Island - Here's a weird option which doesn't quite fit the title because: Michael Bay. $126m budget. Stars Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor. Huge Ad campaign. And yet, very few people have seen it! Grossed like $36m; $12.5m opening weekend. Quality Sci fi imo.
  • Primer - great time travel sci fi movie made for only $7,000!!
Special Addition. I think most on the Yard have heard of it, so perhaps doesn't qualify, but it's a must watch. Idiocracy. Taken at face value, a horribly bad movie. But actually a piece of brilliant satire. It's meant to be bad on purpose. One of the most relevant movies by which to view modern society. Theme song of the Cesspool.

Cult classics in Australia (but not here in the US):
  • Chopper - brutal "true" story about about a real life bicycle gangster
  • The Castle - Light hearted comedy. THE Australian cult classic. You get to see what a great Character actor Eric Bana is in his first role. Not for everyone.
  • Romper Stomper - Russell Crowe before he became Russell Crowe. A low budget movie about Aussie Skinheads
  • The Proposition - An Australian western directed by musician Nick Cave. Really underrated

While we're talking Foreign Films, because most Americans haven't seen them, I've got a ton. Some really popular, some not so:
  • The Orphanage - Spanish Horror/Thriller. Really freakin' creepy. Foreign horror movies are better imo (The Ring etc)
  • Old Boy - Crazy Korean thriller. Also brilliant.
  • La Haine - French day in the life of 3 ghetto kids in a time of unrest. Probably won too many awards for this list
  • Un prophète - French gangster in prison. Also probably won too many awards for this list
  • Death at a Funeral - British dark comedy. Absolutely hilarious. Peter Dinklage
  • Withnail and I - British cult classic. Weird. Loved it though. Some of you might need subtitles to understand the English being spoke.
  • This is England - Coming of age story with skinheads
  • Dead Man's Shoe's - for a straight up no frills revenge flick. Paddy Considine.
etc, etc, etc

Foreign films remade, which are often well known here, but the originals were way better.
  • Let The Right One In - Ok, it was remade in the US to a bit of popularity. But the original was, way better. Brilliant Scandi flick
  • Die Welle - German movie where teacher does play acting nazi experiment with classroom
  • El Secrete de Sus Ojos - Argentina. Better than the crappy remake
  • The Ring - Japanese. Holy crap. that's how you do a freaky movie
  • Abre los ojos - Better than the crappy Tom Cruise remake Vanilla Sky
etc, etc, etc

I could go ham on listing foreign films all night. I think they make better movies these days. Real story. Real characters/actors. Not as much about 'selling' as they are about 'creating'.
Just watched Old Boy a couple weeks ago. That one will scar your psyche if you let it.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure exactly how popular it is but I don't know many others who have seen it - Chef. One of the best feel-good movies I've watched

I saw Chef a couple of years ago. It was very entertaining. I have to admit I never expected to see a road trip movie featuring a food truck.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just saw such a movie two nights ago. The Limehouse Golem. Very interesting gothic thriller type film. Complex plot with many inter-connected characters and the acting is good.

Reaction Score
Miller's Crossing: This one's known, but I think doesn't have near the rep or acclaim it should given that its a Coen Brothers movie and a crime movie. I think its right up there in 2nd tier of mafia / organized crime movies. Its not Godfather or Goodfellas, but in the next group with and to my mind better than The Usual Suspects that has the 'twist' buzz but overall I think Miller's Crossing is better work from same lead. Maybe now that Spacey is on everyone's $ hit list this will get its just deserves.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Miller's Crossing: This one's known, but I think doesn't have near the rep or acclaim it should given that its a Coen Brothers movie and a crime movie. I think its right up there in 2nd tier of mafia / organized crime movies. Its not Godfather or Goodfellas, but in the next group with and to my mind better than The Usual Suspects that has the 'twist' buzz but overall I think Miller's Crossing is better work from same lead. Maybe now that Spacey is on everyone's $ hit list this will get its just deserves.
Great call. That's usually on my list of under the radar recommendations. The scene where Turturro begs for his life is classic, as is the "Danny Boy" scene.

Reaction Score
Almodovar's The Skin I Live In. A great little twisty, effed up thriller. Almodovar up to his usual wacky tricks and beautifully shot scenes. Reminded me after seeing the St. Vincent video Los Ageless. A great twisted performance by Antonio Banderas (who I think is an under appreciated actor) and the beautiful Elena Anaya (who was the evil Dr. villain in Wonder Woman). Trailer still kicks ass.

Reaction Score
Almodovar's The Skin I Live In. A great little twisty, effed up thriller. Almodovar up to his usual wacky tricks and beautifully shot scenes. Reminded me after seeing the St. Vincent video Los Ageless. A great twisted performance by Antonio Banderas (who I think is an under appreciated actor) and the beautiful Elena Anaya (who was the evil Dr. villain in Wonder Woman). Trailer still kicks ass.

I've seen several of Almodovar's films. "The Skin I Live In" is indeed good. There are are few of his films that I would rate higher than that one, including "All About My Mother", "Talk to Her", and "Broken Embraces". If you are looking for colorful, wacky melodrama with all sorts of flourishes, sexual or otherwise, there is no one quite like Almodovar and his movies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've seen several of Almodovar's films. "The Skin I Live In" is indeed good. There are are few of his films that I would rate higher than that one, including "All About My Mother", "Talk to Her", and "Broken Embraces". If you are looking for colorful, wacky melodrama with all sorts of flourishes, sexual or otherwise, there is no one quite like Almodovar and his movies.
I saw one of those years ago. What was the one where the guy walks out of the girls cooch? Or something like that.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"The Way, Way Back." Coming of age story of an awkward teenager. Sam Rockwell is great as a slacker manager of a water amusement park that takes the kid under his wing. Good cast all around. Funny, and heartwarming.

Reaction Score
A long forgotten movie which received rave reviews and was shot on a budget of $1 million in 1971, and made $32 million at the box office and another $20 million on video rentals, and won several Oscars....

The Summer of 42

Reaction Score
It's got a 90 score on Rotten Tomatoes and is a Peter Jackson movie, so I don't know if it's unknown, but I thought District 9 was a surprisingly good movie.

Reaction Score
It's got a 90 score on Rotten Tomatoes and is a Peter Jackson produced* movie, so I don't know if it's unknown, but I thought District 9 was a surprisingly good movie.

FIFY. One of the better Sci-Fi flicks of recent years. I liked it a lot when it came out. Neill Blomkamp has a visual flair as director I like, but he's let himself down with the scripts he's written. I think his best films are still ahead of him though. Wish he had gotten his Halo film off the ground. District 9 was great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom