Realistically... | The Boneyard

Realistically...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming there isn't an invite to one of the Five automatic qualifier conferences, what is the best case scenario?

I'm going to make the assumption that SDSU bails (as it can do without financial penalty to the Big East (it would still owe the Big West)).

To me the best case.... (not necessarily the most likely)
Keep the current 10 all sports members (Cincy, USF, Temple, UCF, ECU, Tulane, Memphis, Houston, SMU, UConn) and keep Navy FB only, convince Army to join FB only.

Conference semi-makes sense, all members pulling in the same direction, still get the conference title game.

----

More likely to me is Army declines, Navy bails....

1.) Stay 10 all sports members.
2.) Pick of 2 more all sports members, if so who? (And is it possible to find two without having to hold your nose at this point? ODU?, Buffalo?, UMass?, Tulsa? Southern Miss? UAB?)

----

More unlikely... Big East disolves... Pan-American conference reforms with best of East and West in two 9-team divisions: Football plays 8 divisional games (divisional record determines conference title game participant), 2 cross-over (rotating). Basketball plays 16 game home and home in division with 4 cross-over (rotating, one travel week per team). Non-revenue play 16 game home and home in division, crossover only in conference tournament (as appropriate)

East:
UConn, Cincy, USF, Temple, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU, ODU/Tulsa/ECU
West:
Boise St, Fresno St, UNLV, San Diego St, BYU, Colorado St, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose St/Hawaii

Reaction Score
I agree SV

The BIG unknown - and I admit Aresco has a tough assignment with all this juggling - is what the dollars are. If the MWC aggregate is only $25m as stated, then he has the leverage to have some moves to make. If we can still do $60m, then he pounces. Makes a decent deal with the MWC.

I want basketball consideration. I know that's in the face of the all-sports theme; but, I'd say you can outplay the C-7 in some ways.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I agree with SV that its a best-case scenario, I just find it unlikely. The remaining conference is inherently unstable with Cincy and UConn in it. Its going to be incredibly tough to sell it to TV.

Might actually be better off taking a chance by thinking outside the box and going with YouTube or Google. I have no idea what the $$$ would be, but it'd be really interesting.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The better MWC schools can not be happy about Boise's deal. I think the Big East has a window to build a western all sports division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom