Realistically... | The Boneyard

Realistically...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
without adding hype to a player because we like them, what kind of career would players like Williams (Tahirah), Gardler, Fernandez, Buck, etc. have at schools not named UCONN? i'm talking about mid major programs like Holy Cross, Dayton, Hofstra, Marist, Hartford, etc. i realize that some of those programs are better than others, but i was curious.

it reminds me of Paris Johnson - a kid who was 3 years younger than Charde and played at the same high school. i saw her when Charde was a senior and followed her career at SDSU. at the time, i thought she'd have been a good solid recruit for UCONN but i don't think we ever looked at her.

she averaged about 12 PG over her career, 14+ her senior year, and was a solid starter for them for over 3 years. i know it's all speculation, but if she had come to UCONN, i think she'd have ended up coming off the bench for her career, and i'm not sure i think she is/was more talented than Heather is.

anyway, we can't ever know for sure, or know if the kids would have worked as hard if they'd gone elsewhere. even seeing the stats from our own Kaili over in Greece (i believe) earning the MVP or something of that league makes you realize how hard it is to succeed at UCONN and just how talented these kids really are...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't know how to predict a player's success in another program, but I think Gardler was a much better player here than she would have been elsewhere. Williams will always be a mystery to me. I always felt she was better than her career indicated. I'm thinking that the team has another Williams on the bench right now. I hope I'm wrong.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A short, partial answer:

The potential to learn at UConn was so much higher, and in practices they got experience. So, they were probably "better players" as a result of being at UConn for 4 years.

However, they would have had more PT and better numbers elsewhere. Some might have even been stars at small schools.

Reaction Score
without adding hype to a player because we like them, what kind of career would players like Williams (Tahirah), Gardler, Fernandez, Buck, etc. have at schools not named UCONN? i'm talking about mid major programs like Holy Cross, Dayton, Hofstra, Marist, Hartford, etc. i realize that some of those programs are better than others, but i was curious.

it reminds me of Paris Johnson - a kid who was 3 years younger than Charde and played at the same high school. i saw her when Charde was a senior and followed her career at SDSU. at the time, i thought she'd have been a good solid recruit for UCONN but i don't think we ever looked at her.

she averaged about 12 PG over her career, 14+ her senior year, and was a solid starter for them for over 3 years. i know it's all speculation, but if she had come to UCONN, i think she'd have ended up coming off the bench for her career, and i'm not sure i think she is/was more talented than Heather is.

anyway, we can't ever know for sure, or know if the kids would have worked as hard if they'd gone elsewhere. even seeing the stats from our own Kaili over in Greece (i believe) earning the MVP or something of that league makes you realize how hard it is to succeed at UCONN and just how talented these kids really are...

Reaction Score
That is one of the best questions I have ever seen posted on this forum. The one player which popped into my mind was Gardler. It did, because iniitally, I thought she was just a "mop-up" player who played in the last 2 or 3 minutes in a run-away game. Her senior year was the turning point. She made a difference! To see her play, in person, you realized the effort she put forth; unbelievable!
Some of the others, I don't know. Hopefully others will express their opinions.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A short, partial answer:

The potential to learn at UConn was so much higher, and in practices they got experience. So, they were probably "better players" as a result of being at UConn for 4 years.

However, they would have had more PT and better numbers elsewhere. Some might have even been stars at small schools.
+1

Reaction Score
They all have better attitudes and are much better people than I ever was.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That is one of the best questions I have ever seen posted on this forum. The one player which popped into my mind was Gardler. It did, because iniitally, I thought she was just a "mop-up" player who played in the last 2 or 3 minutes in a run-away game. Her senior year was the turning point. She made a difference! To see her play, in person, you realized the effort she put forth; unbelievable!
Some of the others, I don't know. Hopefully others will express their opinions.
would she had put up that effort elsewhere... maybe Geno calling her "a cutie that doesnt want to break a nail" helped her (not saying he exactly called her that but hopefully everyone gets the idea).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meghan was something of a designated 3-point shooter her first year or two. Her percentage was fair at best.

Her last 2 years, she played inside and was more of a "banger" and defensive player as a backup to Tina. She was big and strong enough to do a good job in that role.

Plus, she had the classic bobby-pin game. She is part of the UConn folk lore now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom