Realignment rewind: How last round of movement affected CFB | The Boneyard

Realignment rewind: How last round of movement affected CFB

Reaction Score
Realignment rewind: How last round of movement affected CFB

CONFERENCES

ACC

Gained: Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt
Lost: Maryland

How it's worked out: Had the ACC not expanded to 14 teams, the television deal with ESPN likely never would have happened. "The one-word answer is opportunity," said ACC commissioner John Swofford. "It gives us opportunities we'd never have otherwise. I think it's enhanced our league in every way. We wouldn't be where we are with the 2019 launch of the ACC-ESPN channel without growth, and not just growth, but quality growth." The ACC and ESPN agreed to a 20-year deal, and the conference extended its conference rights deal nine years through 2035-36. That grant of rights makes it financially untenable for a school to leave, giving the ACC the utmost long-term stability. The only way the ACC would change would be to grow even more, should Notre Dame ever decide to join a conference. Notre Dame is locked into an agreement that it would join the ACC if it ever joined a conference. If that happened, then the ACC would likely add one more program to have balanced divisions in football. "There's no question we're better and stronger as a league," Swofford said.

BIG 12

Gained: TCU, West Virginia
Lost: Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M

How it's worked out: While things are not quite as volatile as they were in the summer of 2010,when it looked like the conference might be on the verge of extinction, the league has had its fair share of issues since then. The entire "Will they expand or not?" fiasco of 2016 was a poor look for the league. There remains no conference television network, while their counterparts in the Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC all have one. And even though they have a grant of rights deal that likely keeps the conference intact until 2024-25, the national perception of the league is that, while competitive and having some quality teams, it can be dysfunctional at times and is behind the others (the league has been left out of the College Football Playoff two out of the first three years and it is the only league without a conference football championship game, a distinction that will change for the first time in 2017).

Big Ten

Gained: Maryland, Rutgers, Nebraska
Lost: Nobody

How it's worked out: The conference got exactly what it was looking for -- which goes much deeper than football and basketball teams. Every new member was in a contiguous state, and the league was also looking to grow with institutions that were similar academically. Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska have brought the Big Ten over 800,000 new alumni combined and hundreds of millions of dollars in federal research money. Commissioner Jim Delany wasn't expecting any of these programs to come in and beat Alabama in in their first three years in the conference. Instead, the benefits of expansion have been measured on a broader scope. The league has taken advantage of a profitable market, with offices in D.C. and New York, and championship sites in both Baltimore and New York. The Big Ten also has a marketing agreement with the Yankees, and it has expanded its brand not just for athletes, but also prospective students.

Pac-12
Gained: Colorado, Utah

How it's worked out: We'll call them a winner for now, but it's a precarious position if things don't change, particularly when it comes to revenue, in the future. The conference took a home run swing at a Pac-16 that didn't formulate but still added a pair of teams. Colorado was a football bottom feeder for its first five years in the league until it turned in a 10-4 campaign last year, which included a Pac-12 championship game appearance. Utah has fared better, finishing in the AP Top 25 each of the past three seasons and having four winning seasons in its first six. The conference is stable, it has quality programs in attractive locations, and early in the decade seemed to be ahead of the media-rights revenue curve. The latter part has changed. The Pac-12 Network suffered to get the kind of distribution that its Big Ten and SEC counterparts did, thus creating a revenue gap. The league paid out an average of $28.7 million to each school in fiscal year 2016 while the SEC distributed roughly $40 million per school and the Big Ten distributed nearly $35 million per school. "I think a lot of us, ADs especially, are concerned about this gap that's growing in TV revenue [between the Pac-12 and] the Big Ten and the SEC," Utah athletic director Chris Hill said. "We're concerned we're going to get priced out if we're not careful."

SEC
Gained: Missouri, Texas A&M

How it's worked out: The conference expanded its geographic footprint, and both football programs had success early on (the Aggies started 20-6 in the first two seasons, and Missouri won SEC East titles in 2013 and 2014). In 2014, two years after the schools joined, the SEC Network launched, and it has been successful in terms of distribution and revenue. That has only strengthened the conference. The league outpaces every other in the country when it comes to media-rights revenue distribution.

Reaction Score
I see the finanicals discussed in that story and I cry. We need a seat at the the P5 table!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You have to wonder if the ACC had taken UConn rather than Stripperville, would the Big 12 have expanded? I could see Louisville, Cinci and Houston as being a pretty logical expansion for the B12. I'm not sure about the 4th as I think BYU's shooting itself in the foot was probably the biggest factor in killing expansion the last go round.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
You have to wonder if the ACC had taken UConn rather than Stripperville, would the Big 12 have expanded? I could see Louisville, Cinci and Houston as being a pretty logical expansion for the B12. I'm not sure about the 4th as I think BYU's shooting itself in the foot was probably the biggest factor in killing expansion the last go round.

I don't know. Would OU have signed a GoR without a network? I don't know. That being said, UL and Cincinnati would have been about as good for the Big12 as it can get. They both are very geographically close enough to the core of the Big12 that it would have worked. They both have very good athletic departments and could have , especially in Louisville's case, be very competitive in the Big12 right away.

Although you would be a great fit athletically and academically for the Big12, geographically you aren't.

Reaction Score
I have always thought that taking Louisville was also an ACC strategy to thwart the Big 12.

It could have been coincidental...but I have thought that it did play in.

Reaction Score
I have always thought that taking Louisville was also an ACC strategy to thwart the Big 12.

It could have been coincidental...but I have thought that it did play in.
Actually it was Pittsburgh that was to thwart the Big 12. Louisville was there for the Big XII for over a year, and was not taken by the ACC until after Maryland decided to leave the ACC. The Big XII chose to be stay at 10 and be paid for 12 rather than expand to 12, so they didn't take Louisville when they had the opportunity to do so.

CL82

Reaction Score
Actually it was Pittsburgh that was to thwart the Big 12. Louisville was there for the Big XII for over a year, and was not taken by the ACC until after Maryland decided to leave the ACC. The Big XII chose to be stay at 10 and be paid for 12 rather than expand to 12, so they didn't take Louisville when they had the opportunity to do so.
Nah, Pittsburgh was taken because BCU wanted to be the only New England school. Turned out to be bad decision for both schools, UConn in particular of course.

Reaction Score
Nah, Pittsburgh was taken because BCU wanted to be the only New England school. Turned out to be bad decision for both schools, UConn in particular of course.
Pittsburgh was taken for several reasons by the ACC. Pennsylvania market, football history, existing Notre Dame football rivalry, etc. The Big XII discussions about and with Pittsburgh, linked, prompted action on Pittsburgh by the ACC. It's the only time I can remember the ACC making a move to thwart the Big XII. Tom Jurich from Louisville flew to Austin and sat in Deloss Dodd's office for hours trying to get into the Big XII. The Big XII elected to take West Virginia instead.

It is true that Boston College did what you say, but there were other factors in play.

Big 12 Expansion: Pitt Invite In The Works With Texas A&M SEC Defection? Lunacy Lives.

Reaction Score
Stimpy...if you believe ESPN's "sources"...

The ACC also considered Connecticut and Cincinnati for membership. However, sources told ESPN that the league wanted Louisville only because there is a sense among league presidents that the ACC can add more schools at a later date if the conference loses any other current members.

Reaction Score
And, to FSU's dismay, at the time of the Pitt and Cuse additions, Coach K seemed to be the 800 pound gorilla when it came to ACC expansion....

It was all about the bass, the bass, the bass ( the rhythm driving notes were all about basketball).

At the time:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said Saturday night grabbing Syracuse and Pittsburgh away from the Big East would be a major coup.

If the two schools are to join the ACC, Krzyzewski doesn't want the conference to stop at 14 teams. He said he'd like to see 16 teams, taking two more schools that have comparable rich basketball traditions and are in the Eastern time zone.

CL82

Reaction Score
Pittsburgh was taken for several reasons by the ACC. Pennsylvania market, football history, existing Notre Dame football rivalry, etc. The Big XII discussions about and with Pittsburgh, linked, prompted action on Pittsburgh by the ACC. It's the only time I can remember the ACC making a move to thwart the Big XII. Tom Jurich from Louisville flew to Austin and sat in Deloss Dodd's office for hours trying to get into the Big XII. The Big XII elected to take West Virginia instead.

It is true that Boston College did what you say, but there were other factors in play.

Big 12 Expansion: Pitt Invite In The Works With Texas A&M SEC Defection? Lunacy Lives.

Last season, Krzyzewski & Co. could only look on in dismay when the ACC dropped to fifth in many power rankings of conferences. Enough was enough, and a master plan was devised to bring ACC basketball back to the top. The only real target was the Big East, for geographical and competitive reasons.

The first target was Syracuse, which had been on the original ACC expansion list eight years ago. The Orangemen, like BC, were disappointed when they didn’t make the final cut, passed over for Virginia Tech and Miami.

Under coach Jim Boeheim, Syracuse was clearly one of the elite basketball teams in the country and would boost the ACC’s stature in that sport.

The second target was Connecticut, which was part of the Northeast footprint the ACC wanted, and was coming off the daily double of a BCS bid in football and a championship in men’s basketball (the third for Jim Calhoun).

In addition, the women’s basketball program under Geno Auriemma had established itself as the most dominant in the sport over the past 15 years.

With growing instability in the Big East, both schools were bound to accept any offers.

While Syracuse presented no problem, UConn did - to BC, which was still fuming over what it perceived to be vitriolic comments made when BC was finally invited to join the ACC and started competing in 2005. UConn and Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit against BC, and Calhoun made comments about never playing BC again.

DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.

“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

Reaction Score
And, to FSU's dismay, at the time of the Pitt and Cuse additions, Coach K seemed to be the 800 pound gorilla when it came to ACC expansion....

It was all about the bass, the bass, the bass ( the rhythm driving notes were all about basketball).

At the time:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said Saturday night grabbing Syracuse and Pittsburgh away from the Big East would be a major coup.

If the two schools are to join the ACC, Krzyzewski doesn't want the conference to stop at 14 teams. He said he'd like to see 16 teams, taking two more schools that have comparable rich basketball traditions and are in the Eastern time zone.

The ACC has both football constituencies and basketball constituencies to keep happy. That diversity is what gives the ACC its strength. Championships in both at the same time is kind of nice. I have no doubt that Coach K wants the strongest basketball additions possible. He has also been vocal about staying in the Eastern Time Zone. That came out when the ACC was talking to Texas.

Dabo Swinney and Jimbo Fisher want good football additions. They too probably don't want major travel west. Options that please both constituencies are the ones at the top of the list.

But in the end it isn't the coaches that make the decision. They are consulted, but they don't decide.

Reaction Score
Last season, Krzyzewski & Co. could only look on in dismay when the ACC dropped to fifth in many power rankings of conferences. Enough was enough, and a master plan was devised to bring ACC basketball back to the top. The only real target was the Big East, for geographical and competitive reasons.

The first target was Syracuse, which had been on the original ACC expansion list eight years ago. The Orangemen, like BC, were disappointed when they didn’t make the final cut, passed over for Virginia Tech and Miami.

Under coach Jim Boeheim, Syracuse was clearly one of the elite basketball teams in the country and would boost the ACC’s stature in that sport.

The second target was Connecticut, which was part of the Northeast footprint the ACC wanted, and was coming off the daily double of a BCS bid in football and a championship in men’s basketball (the third for Jim Calhoun).

In addition, the women’s basketball program under Geno Auriemma had established itself as the most dominant in the sport over the past 15 years.

With growing instability in the Big East, both schools were bound to accept any offers.

While Syracuse presented no problem, UConn did - to BC, which was still fuming over what it perceived to be vitriolic comments made when BC was finally invited to join the ACC and started competing in 2005. UConn and Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit against BC, and Calhoun made comments about never playing BC again.

DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.

“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’
I remember reading that interview by Mark Blaudshun at the time. Gene DeFilippo was part of the push for Pittsburgh. He held a grudge over the lawsuit of 2003. But he is gone now. With BC now scheduling UConn and UMass regularly, hopefully they recognize that they truly do need regional rivals. The fans in New England will be more interested in those games than watching teams outside the region. Hopefully during the next round, BC will support UConn if UConn is available. With 15 now there are lots of votes to get.

What will be most important to the ACC at that point will be driving the Network Channel into new subscriber bases and improvements to the football and/or basketball product. That article suggesting 2023 may be the timing, but with the network coming online in 2019 maybe sooner.

Reaction Score
I really hope that the ACCN will be an optional add in sports packages.

Reaction Score
I remember reading that interview by Mark Blaudshun at the time. Gene DeFilippo was part of the push for Pittsburgh. He held a grudge over the lawsuit of 2003. But he is gone now. With BC now scheduling UConn and UMass regularly, hopefully they recognize that they truly do need regional rivals. The fans in New England will be more interested in those games than watching teams outside the region. Hopefully during the next round, BC will support UConn if UConn is available. With 15 now there are lots of votes to get.

What will be most important to the ACC at that point will be driving the Network Channel into new subscriber bases and improvements to the football and/or basketball product. That article suggesting 2023 may be the timing, but with the network coming online in 2019 maybe sooner.

BC's former AD is gone but isn't the president still there. If I recall correctly, it was the president that was personally attacked and offended in the lawsuit.

Reaction Score
Miami's President, Shalala, wasn't too happy either about being a primary exhibit in Blumenthal's lawsuit.

But...as time went by, those things mattered less.

I really wonder if BC has any personal animosity these years later, or whether it is turf guarding, plain and simple.

Same reason that FSU and Clemson will never play in the SEC.

Reaction Score

Wouldn't they have to add 2 to make it balanced? That makes it very unlikely as it would require ND to join full time and we all know that's not going to happen. So I doubt the UConn to ACC is happening, unless they add 2 teams and go to 18 total, which also appears unlikely. You guys don't really want to understand how screwed UConn is by all of this.

Reaction Score
Miami's President, Shalala, wasn't too happy either about being a primary exhibit in Blumenthal's lawsuit.

But...as time went by, those things mattered less.

I really wonder if BC has any personal animosity these years later, or whether it is turf guarding, plain and simple.

Same reason that FSU and Clemson will never play in the SEC.
Blumenthal has always been an ass.

Reaction Score

Blumenthal has always been an ass.

Honestly, the politically-motivated decision by Richard Blumenthal to go after the ACC and BC and Miami, and then attack the college presidents on a personal level was one of the most pompous, self-serving, myopic and backward-thinking acts we have ever witnessed... one that has done immeasurable damage financially to UConn already... and continues to be the gift that keeps giving pain to this University financially and all of us fans.

The truth is that the Blumenthal-led 2003 lawsuit topped with his disrespectful and needless grandstanding at the time are more to blame for our current predicament than anything else that has happened before or since. It is why Pittsburgh was chosen over us with Syracuse in 2011 (B.C. blocked us because of their anger over that lawsuit) and I would surmise is one of the reasons why Louisville was picked over us in 2012 - not the only reason, but certainly one of them.

I can not say that I or any of the rest of us on the outside could see this would be the outcome in 2003... but it was an egregious screw up by Blumenthal and the top people at UConn to make themselves the face of that lawsuit when they were in a position to see the potential future damage it could do. It showed a spectacular lack of judgement and any foresight on what would be coming down the road in the not-too-distant future. Being involved in the lawsuit was one thing - but then leading the charge? We pissed off a lot of people in the ACC at the time, in addition to B.C. and Miami.

An egregious screw up of epic proportions. Just another reason I have a strong dislike for politicians - they will often grandstand on issues that are way outside of their lane when they think they will receive personal benefit from it, no matter what the cost could be to others in the future.

Thanks for the screw job Blumenthal! You pompous schmuck...

Reaction Score
The most amusing thing about the lawsuit was some idiot named Business Lawyer on the old board predicting the outcome based his "professional experience" and being wrong on every prediction. I hope he's never my lawyer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The most amusing thing about the lawsuit was some idiot named Business Lawyer on the old board predicting the outcome based his "professional experience" and being wrong on every prediction. I hope he's never my lawyer.

You might want to hire him to be your advocate.

After your 100-message trial period, your future here looks bleak.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You might want to hire him to be your advocate.

After your 100-message trial period, your future here looks bleak.

To be fair, the guy at least doesn't suffer from false advertising. He is indeed less than zero...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom