Reaction to the call | The Boneyard

Reaction to the call

Reaction Score
IMG_6906.jpeg

Reaction Score
I was neutral for this game, so I was trying to look at the play objectively. Waited for the replay. Saw the replay.

Yeah, I got nothing. Horrendous call.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I get it. "My" team (Rutgers / Arizona) has had that happen to them.

In the abstract, I certainly get why folks are upset, but to me it was a foul - a minor one, but a foul - and what folks are really questioning is whether or not a ref should make a marginal call that affects the result of the game. Some - my wife is one - says call it all the time; I'm more one of those "how much does the foul itself affect the game" person, and I have read referees (Lisa Mattingly being one) who have taken different positions on this.

Regardless of whether or not it should have been called, it is too bad this is what folks will remember.

Reaction Score
I get it. "My" team (Rutgers / Arizona) has had that happen to them.

In the abstract, I certainly get why folks are upset, but to me it was a foul - a minor one, but a foul - and what folks are really questioning is whether or not a ref should make a marginal call that affects the result of the game. Some - my wife is one - says call it all the time; I'm more one of those "how much does the foul itself affect the game" person, and I have read referees (Lisa Mattingly being one) who have taken different positions on this.

Regardless of whether or not it should have been called, it is too bad this is what folks will remember.
I don't think it's abstract though. If we look at things technically, then there should be a lot more calls that are made throughout the game if we're talking about that level of infraction. When you go an entire game and then THAT is what you decide to call in that moment...sorry but that is, in fact, poor officiating.

Reaction Score
It was a foul. It should not have been called at that point of the game.

As they say in football, “holding could be called on every play.”

You don’t call an off-ball foul in the last ten seconds in a 4 point ( or less) game

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was a moving screen. I’ve seen Edwards set a couple of obvious moving screens this tournament that went uncalled. Sure the timing was bad and I think that’s what people are most upset about. But she wasn’t set.
Think it's a bit about the timing as you noted, but I also think consistency is part of the problem. There are so many areas where referees have been inconsistent and it impacts the game. From rings being worn during games, offensive calls for push offs, or was the player established, we've seen too many examples where it's different every game.

As a fan of Aaliyah, do I want to see that call? No. At the same time, if that's a moving screen, why isn't it being called against her throughout the entire tournament? Why is it not being called against others who do the same thing? Rhetorical questions, I know because there never will be an answer that will satisfy fans.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It was a foul. It should not have been called at that point of the game.

As they say in football, “holding could be called on every play.”

You don’t call an off-ball foul in the last ten seconds in a 4 point ( or less) game
Why not? By your own admission it was a foul. Time left in a game should not matter in determining if a foul should be called.

Reaction Score
Why not? By your own admission it was a foul. Time left in a game should not matter in determining if a foul should be called.
Yes it should. It was off the ball . Time left IS important . Just like you turn off the shoot clock - you turn if the tacky tacky meter.

Reaction Score
Was it a moving screen? Yes. To call it in that situation when it didn’t lead to Paige becoming wide open or gaining any obvious advantage is tough though. If it freed her up for a wide open shot that’s one thing, but she was still in a neutral spot when she caught the pass, not obviously about to score or even shoot.

If that call is made 5 minutes into the game I don’t think anyone says it’s a bad call. It absolutely was a moving screen. Virginia men’s basketball does that 3 times per play every game and never get called for it and I scream for it every time!

I’m going to knit pick the master Geno. 10 seconds to go and everyone knows Paige is getting the ball. You inbound to your PG have her dribble up, pass to Paige, then have Paige pass it back to her only to fake like she’s going to the top of the key and then turn back to come get a pass on the wing from the PG - roughly catching it in the same place she initially caught it.

Why?

Now she has the ball with 3 seconds and needs to make a move. You just had 3 passes when it could have been 1 or 0. Why not get the ball to the player everyone knows is getting it early and let her make a play. To me it just wasted a lot of time and made for many things to have to happen in order to set it up. I don’t really get that.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Was it a moving screen? Yes. To call it in that situation when it didn’t lead to Paige becoming wide open or gaining any obvious advantage is tough though. If it freed her up for a wide open shot that’s one thing, but she was still in a neutral spot when she caught the pass, not obviously about to score or even shoot.

If that call is made 5 minutes into the game I don’t think anyone says it’s a bad call. It absolutely was a moving screen. Virginia men’s basketball does that 3 times per play every game and never get called for it and I scream for it every time!

I’m going to knit pick the master Geno. 10 seconds to go and everyone knows Paige is getting the ball. You inbound to your PG have her dribble up, pass to Paige, then have Paige pass it back to her only to fake like she’s going to the top of the key and then turn back to come get a pass on the wing from the PG - roughly catching it in the same place she initially caught it.

Why?

Now she has the ball with 3 seconds and needs to make a move. You just had 3 passes when it could have been 1 or 0. Why not get the ball to the player everyone knows is getting it early and let her make a play. To me it just wasted a lot of time and made for many things to have to happen in order to set it up. I don’t really get that.
I get that fans want the game to be decided on a shot by Paige at the end, but don't commit an obvious moving screen if you don't want to get called for it.

And agreed on the game call at the end there--should've had Paige bring the ball up and take a shot with more than 3 seconds left. Even if she misses and Iowa rebounds, you can still foul and call a timeout after FTs and get another shot with the ball advanced down by 3 (assuming you box out/they make both, which didn't happen in actuality).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom