Reaction to Aida Barnes | The Boneyard

Reaction to Aida Barnes

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Wonder what the reaction by BY is to Coach Barnes comment.
Coach Barnes comments are rather misguided and self serving IMO.
"I feel like college athletes should get it because we’re competing. If you want to have us compete and have a season and be able to play basketball and we’re not in a bubble, I think that we have to get it because of the risk".
College athletics is an entirely voluntary endeavor. There are many more endeavors such as those engaged in making our food & educating our children that rightfully should be in line to get the vaccine before college athletes.

Reaction Score
I’m not buying it either. Let’s get the health care workers and high risk people taken care of before the privileged, super-healthy athlete/entertainers who are already getting major taxpayer $$$ spent on their safety, including multiple tests per week.

She can probably make a case for schools getting the vaccine in alphabetical order too.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’m not buying it either. Let’s get the health care workers and high risk people taken care of before the privileged, super-healthy athlete/entertainers who are already getting major taxpayer $$$ spent on their safety, including multiple tests per week.

She can probably make a case for schools getting the vaccine in alphabetical order too.

Yes. I work for a major university hospital and we don't expect all of our health care workers to be vaccinated until end of January/beginning of Feb. I don't know what the situation is with smaller/rural hospitals. I will receive my first (Pfizer) dose on Tuesday.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure her over-arching point is that everyone wants games and the team to play and - ultimately - it isn't particularly safe for them to do so. And then everyone complains when games are cancelled. As she notes, our men's team has had 6 games cancelled (not their issues, their opponents). They (the women) still practice in masks although it isn't required. FWIW, note she said there are 4 high risk folks on the team, I know Reese is type 1 Diabetic, I don't know the other ailments.

No, I don't think athletes should have any preference for the vaccine. If she feels personally unsafe, then she should take a sabbatical. But I doubt that's really her point. I truly think she is worried about the health of the team.

There is inherent health risk and the risk of canceling games involved in the current state of things and I think it is wearing on coaches.

Reaction Score
Only my opinion....I believe every American that wants the vaccine should be able to get it....So each and every drug company making the vaccine should be working 24/7 to manufacture and produce the vaccine...Put our TAX dollars to work. There will be too many more deaths if just the ordinary citizen has to wait til May, June, or when ever.

Reaction Score
Only my opinion....I believe every American that wants the vaccine should be able to get it....So each and every drug company making the vaccine should be working 24/7 to manufacture and produce the vaccine...Put our TAX dollars to work. There will be too many more deaths if just the ordinary citizen has to wait til May, June, or when ever.

Every drug company that has an approved vaccine IS working 24/7 to produce the vaccine.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
She thinks college athletes should get the vaccine before "the general public," but there are layers to the general public that will probably be considered when the second or third wave of vaccine hits. For example, food. All around the country, there have been hot spots around food-processing plants. I for one don't think athletes should cut in front of people putting food on our tables. There are many other facets of the economy that are defined in statute as being "essential." I for one am hoping (selfishly) that folks working in these industries will get the vaccine early.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The only reason why they have the vaccine in the first place is because the Government stayed out of the way. Operation Warp Speed removed the Government red tape at the beginning of the process of making the vaccine, which cut almost two and half to three years off of the delivery of the drugs. The FDA was approving the process as it was being tested, unlike go through the process then get approval. They also sped up the testing which would have added another 6 months to a year. So because the private sector was given a mission with very little Government intervention they got the product out in less than 9 months then the average 3 to 5 years.

Reaction Score
Every drug company that has an approved vaccine IS working 24/7 to produce the vaccine.
I heard it is the states that have to dole it out that are behind. Maybe it would be better off if the private sector did this work. Vaccine is just sitting in some state agencies. Bureaucracy is what is slowing it down right now and not the manufacturers at this point.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Her name is Adia, not Aida. Though I suppose she may have gone A Step Too Far.
Adia, as in Adia Barnes: A fantastic up-and-coming basketball coach.

Aida, as in Aida Cuevas: The most underappreciated, and for my money the greatest, mariachi and ranchera singer ever.

While perhaps bearing a certain resemblance, they bear talents that are not to be confused.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom