Re-watched the game here is what I noticed | The Boneyard

Re-watched the game here is what I noticed

• Thread starter fortebleedsblue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

Power hour the day after is a great way to catch all the key plays with out tons of commercials and rambling between plays.

1. McEntee looked good, I don't care who people want to compare him to. He had some throws he should not have made, didn't execute screens very well and had trouble with some of the deep balls. However, a few games in I see some serious progress. He didn't lock onto a WR and throw. I saw him reading the field and checking his options. He didn't look as bolted down in the pocket, he rolled out he shifted around to avoid pressure and made plays when it mattered. I also noticed Deleone's play calling started to look much better as he gained confidence in McEntee.

2. Mccombs has some growing to do. He doesn't read the field very well when running and doesn't cut back like a running back should for extra yards. The Oline created some pretty decent size holes for him to go through but he dances around too much and doesn't cut back when hitting the pocket. On other plays where he had open field he has opportunities to pick up even more yards or take it to the house but he hesitates or makes the wrong decision on angles. These type of things take time. I think next year (with some added weight) he will be a much better RB.

Also, JJL looked good from the little I saw. He is much better at breaking tackles and plowing ahead for those 4& 5 yards. They need to use him more as a change of pace.

3. Nick Williams should NOT be playing punt return. He is great with open field running and needs a bit of time to hit top speed. I'm sick of Nick Williams calling for fair catches most of the time.. There has to be someone else on the team capable of returning punts... someone smaller and shiftier. If not our offense will be required to take the ball 80 yards down the field every time.

4. The D really missed Blidi. I think this might be a very long year as far as that goes. I like the fact that Don Brown is aggressive, but teams are going to prepare for the over pursuit and expose it. WMU beat this through short very quick outlet passes, something I think we will see a lot of vs. WVU.

All in all this teams biggest problems are discipline and special teams. I really hope HCPP takes a look at both and makes some changes, such as keeping Nick Williams for KO return and giving someone else a chance at punt return. I see improvement in the offense game by game. If the D can find a way to fix the Blidi situation I'm confident we can get to a bowl... Yes you heard right.

Reaction Score
The special teams have been pretty bad so far this year (aside from a blocked punt at Vandy & a few long Teggart FGs), and yesterday was no exception. The difference in starting field position between both teams was ridiculous (how do we kickoff OB and give them the ball at the 40 tied at 31?). On our kick returns, seems like we're just not getting the blocking, and it must be affecting Nick Williams' ability to find a wedge to break through. Where is Taylor Mack on punt returns?

Reaction Score
what happened to Taylor Mack on punt returns? i remember him fumbling one or two his freshmand year, but IIRC he had a really quick, decisive first step or two and i really thought he'd excel on PRs eventually. i don't remember him ever breaking one, but he seemed like he was on the verge almost every time. i thought McEntee's feel in the pocket improved tremendously. he did a good job of moving away from pressure in the pocket and i think it was the difference between him finding the open guy whereas in the first couple of games he seemed to get jammed up and get happy feet before making a bad throw

Reaction Score
what happened to Taylor Mack on punt returns? i remember him fumbling one or two his freshmand year, but IIRC he had a really quick, decisive first step or two and i really thought he'd excel on PRs eventually. i don't remember him ever breaking one, but he seemed like he was on the verge almost every time. i thought McEntee's feel in the pocket improved tremendously. he did a good job of moving away from pressure in the pocket and i think it was the difference between him finding the open guy whereas in the first couple of games he seemed to get jammed up and get happy feet before making a bad throw

I think they are redshirting Taylor Mack. If he didn't sub for Wilburn in that game, he is just not going to play this year. Also, Nick Williams is not the problem, guys. Special teams is sooooooo much a scheme based attack, and frankly our schemes have been atrocious compared to last year. We can't get any running room on Kickoffs(after leading the nation last year) and punt returns are rarely available to the returner, regardless of who is back there.

For us to have any success, we should worry first about the 10 other players on the field and the scheme they are running.

Reaction Score
Agree with all that. McCombs needs a lot of work. He simply does not see the field well and cut up sharply. He does not break tackles. He's got decent speed and he's a little shifty. His big run yesterday was a truck route created by the OL that I could have run through.

This team is not built for not having some power in the the running game. JJL, Hypolite or somebody has to step up in this role. The whole McCummings thing in the wild dog or whatever the hell it is is just killing me. I have no idea what is expected of that and the defenses know exactly what to expect.

Nick Williams is struggling returning punts. He is not getting to some balls he needs to and yesterday he fair caught a ball deep when no one was within 15 yards of him.

Most concerning to me, and I place this squarely on the coaches, this team appears to be losing focus. Personal foul on the opening kick-off that went 10 yeards into the endzone for a touch back? Are you kidding me? Ryan Griffin is a very talented kid....no doubt. Sit him down. He's dropping way too many catchable balls. Sit'em down. He'll get focused. Almost 100 yards of penalties yesterday. Every un-UCONN.

I have know idea what Brown did or did not do to let a pretty decent offense pass for 500 yards. He must have known they could not run the ball against us, yet the threw at will. I don't get paid several hundred thousand dollars a year to figure that stuff out....he does. He can't figure it out, get'em out of here. Coach P better have that approach or he won't be around long either.

This is big boy football. We lost three games that we should have won imo. I hope to hell these guys know the clock is ticking.

Reaction Score
Power hour the day after is a great way to catch all the key plays with out tons of commercials and rambling between plays.

1. McEntee looked good, I don't care who people want to compare him to. He had some throws he should not have made, didn't execute screens very well and had trouble with some of the deep balls. However, a few games in I see some serious progress. He didn't lock onto a WR and throw. I saw him reading the field and checking his options. He didn't look as bolted down in the pocket, he rolled out he shifted around to avoid pressure and made plays when it mattered. I also noticed Deleone's play calling started to look much better as he gained confidence in McEntee.

2. Mccombs has some growing to do. He doesn't read the field very well when running and doesn't cut back like a running back should for extra yards. The Oline created some pretty decent size holes for him to go through but he dances around too much and doesn't cut back when hitting the pocket. On other plays where he had open field he has opportunities to pick up even more yards or take it to the house but he hesitates or makes the wrong decision on angles. These type of things take time. I think next year (with some added weight) he will be a much better RB.

Also, JJL looked good from the little I saw. He is much better at breaking tackles and plowing ahead for those 4& 5 yards. They need to use him more as a change of pace.

3. Nick Williams should NOT be playing punt return. He is great with open field running and needs a bit of time to hit top speed. I'm sick of Nick Williams calling for fair catches most of the time.. There has to be someone else on the team capable of returning punts... someone smaller and shiftier. If not our offense will be required to take the ball 80 yards down the field every time.

4. The D really missed Blidi. I think this might be a very long year as far as that goes. I like the fact that Don Brown is aggressive, but teams are going to prepare for the over pursuit and expose it. WMU beat this through short very quick outlet passes, something I think we will see a lot of vs. WVU.

All in all this teams biggest problems are discipline and special teams. I really hope HCPP takes a look at both and makes some changes, such as keeping Nick Williams for KO return and giving someone else a chance at punt return. I see improvement in the offense game by game. If the D can find a way to fix the Blidi situation I'm confident we can get to a bowl... Yes you heard right.
Liked what I saw on defense from Kendall Reyes (as always) and the redshirt frosh Smallwood, but the secondary...well lets not go there.

Reaction Score
Liked what I saw on defense from Kendall Reyes (as always) and the redshirt frosh Smallwood, but the secondary...well lets not go there.

It was PAINFULLY clear that the coaches have no confidence in our CB depth... Gratz did well... after that the ENTIRE secondary seemed like they always were a 3 or 4 steps behind.... I would've understood a step or two (on occassion) but it was downright embarrassing.... maybe that's why we're seeing so many db's being recruited...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom