Re-doing WNBA drafts, Part 1: 2014-2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Re-doing WNBA drafts, Part 1: 2014-2018

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with 2016 and 2017. For 2018, I'd call it close and perhaps decided by who wins the championship. If L.A. wins the championship--which will make me very displeased--I'll concede. If Seattle wins, especially if Natasha plays well, I'll pick her.

I'm not saying I don't like Chelsea. I think she's really good. But Howard has become really good too.

I'm a Sparks fan (I also like and follow about 4-5 other teams). They're my hometown team. I attend about 8-10 games a year, and watch the rest on TV. The Sparks are a fan favorite here in LA. But I think this is the Storm's year. I think the championship is theirs to lose. They will get all the byes afforded to a first place team, and they will have home-court advantage in every series. Stewie and KML get thier first ring. Sue gets her third. The Storm won it all in 2004 & 2010.

Rookies Mercedes Russell and Jordin Canada will get a ring their first year in the league. Sometimes it pays to be in the right place at the right time. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Which Team made the better trade?

CT Sun Trade, Chelsea Gray and two draft picks ( Whitney Knight, Brianna Butler) to LA Sparks for Jonquell Jones and Draft Pick ( Jamie Weisner).

And to think... The Sun could have kept Gray and drafted J. Jones with either of their first round picks that year :oops:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I can clearly see that Gray has had a better career thus far than Howard, I'm just pointing out that the gap has been significantly closed this year, and one could even argue that just for this season, Howard is having a bigger impact for Seattle than Gray is for LA.

Reaction Score
I can clearly see that Gray has had a better career thus far than Howard, I'm just pointing out that the gap has been significantly closed this year, and one could even argue that just for this season, Howard is having a bigger impact for Seattle than Gray is for LA.

See I'm not sure I agree. Gray/Parker have carried LA all season.

Howard has been a good complimentary piece to Seattle's big 3. (Bird, Stewart, Lloyd) I just think she is having her best season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Howard has been a good complimentary piece to Seattle's big 3. (Bird, Stewart, Lloyd) I just think she is having her best season.

Gray's shooting numbers are down this year although matching her numbers of last year is nearly impossible. She is however facilitating more. Oqwumike is carrying an equal load at least but if the game against the liberty is any indicator, they seem to be less of a threat. I think the Sun are the biggest threat to the Storm.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

As eebmg pointed out you're totally shortchanging Nneka, plus LA has underachieved this season.

Seattle's big 3 weren't good enough to lift the team above mediocrity the previous 2 seasons. Now they are the best team in the league. I think Howard has been more than just a complimentary piece.

Reaction Score
Which Team made the better trade?

CT Sun Trade, Chelsea Gray and two draft picks ( Whitney Knight, Brianna Butler) to LA Sparks for Jonquell Jones and Draft Pick ( Jamie Weisner).
The Sun, in my opinion, since you can get good guards easier than you can good bigs. And when JJ is on, and she is finally coming back to form, she is virtually unstoppable.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
T Jonquel Jones was fantastic last year but seems to have taken a massive step back. .

Jonquel has really been heating up lately (27pts and 10 rebounds tonight). Her numbers are definitely down this year (11.2ppg vs 15.4ppg, 5.4rpg vs 11.9rpg), but not sure I'd call this a "massive' step back. Having not watched the Sun on a regular basis, a couple things I notice:

1. She's play about 10 fewer min than last year (maybe cause Chiney is back?)
2. Her shooting numbers are nearly identical, except her FT shooting is down to 67% from 81%, which might be worth about a point a game.

If you look at her month by month splits though, she's gotten back in her groove as the season has progressed:

June: 8.7ppg, 5.5rpg
July: 10.8ppg, 4.5rpg
August: 15.4ppg, 6.2rpg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Jonquel has really been heating up lately (27pts and 10 rebounds tonight). Her numbers are definitely down this year (11.2ppg vs 15.4ppg, 5.4rpg vs 11.9rpg), but not sure I'd call this a "massive' step back. Having not watched the Sun on a regular basis, a couple things I notice:

1. She's play about 10 fewer min than last year (maybe cause Chiney is back?)
2. Her shooting numbers are nearly identical, except her FT shooting is down to 67% from 81%, which might be worth about a point a game.

If you look at her month by month splits though, she's gotten back in her groove as the season has progressed:

June: 8.7ppg, 5.5rpg
July: 10.8ppg, 4.5rpg
August: 15.4ppg, 6.2rpg

JJ has been on a tear as of late. When I posted this, she was averaging 9.5 points and 4.6 boards with lower percentages too. She’s played much better as of late. Connecticut is a massive threat if she’s healthy and putting up 15-20+ every night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom