Rays trade Shields to KC, get Meyers | The Boneyard

Rays trade Shields to KC, get Meyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
6 player deal that sounds pretty good for Tampa Bay. They are getting the top hitting prospect for a pitcher who expendable.

Reaction Score
Prospects are just that........right now as I see it I think the Royals made out!!! Shields and Davis can join their rotation right away..........and make them better and potentially contend.....

Reaction Score
6 player deal that sounds pretty good for Tampa Bay. They are getting the top hitting prospect for a pitcher who expendable.

Shields might seem "expendable" strictly based on #'s but he is extraordinarily durable, a leader, and most importantly for the Royals, cost controlled for 2 years. Wade Davis was a top 10 prospect in 2010, and had a great year last year in the BP. At the very least he will be a great BP arm, and could possibly have straightened something out to become a good #3 starter.

Myers is a great prospect, but he's not the top position prospect in baseball. That title belong to Jurickson Profar or Oscar Tavares. Myers ultimate ceiling is a Jay Bruce type player, but like mau said, he's a prospect. He could also completely flop. Odorizzi is a solid #4 upside SP. I would say a wash with Wade Davis, with Davis being more immediate. Montgomery is the wild card in this deal, he was thought to have ace level upside before he was terrible this past year. If the Rays fix him, they run away with this deal.

I would not have done the deal as the Royals, but it's not terrible as is. They want to go for it and are trying. Much like every other sport, the highest peak for the value of a player is before they step on the playing field to show their warts. Think Omar Calhoun in pre-season. I think the Rays will probably win this deal in the long run, but it is not as crazy as the media is making it out to be.

Reaction Score
Shields might seem "expendable" strictly based on #'s but he is extraordinarily durable, a leader, and most importantly for the Royals, cost controlled for 2 years. Wade Davis was a top 10 prospect in 2010, and had a great year last year in the BP. At the very least he will be a great BP arm, and could possibly have straightened something out to become a good #3 starter.

Myers is a great prospect, but he's not the top position prospect in baseball. That title belong to Jurickson Profar or Oscar Tavares. Myers ultimate ceiling is a Jay Bruce type player, but like mau said, he's a prospect. He could also completely flop. Odorizzi is a solid #4 upside SP. I would say a wash with Wade Davis, with Davis being more immediate. Montgomery is the wild card in this deal, he was thought to have ace level upside before he was terrible this past year. If the Rays fix him, they run away with this deal.

I would not have done the deal as the Royals, but it's not terrible as is. They want to go for it and are trying. Much like every other sport, the highest peak for the value of a player is before they step on the playing field to show their warts. Think Omar Calhoun in pre-season. I think the Rays will probably win this deal in the long run, but it is not as crazy as the media is making it out to be.
The Rays rolled the dice on this one for sure but don't forget that the Rays mostly built their team with young players they aquired through a lot of high draft picks as the result of sucking for a long time. They don't have the big name free agent signing mentality.
By expendable I mean that the Rays were in a positon to trade a starting pitcher without leaving a huge hole in their staff.
This deal comes down to whether Meyers can be a solid major league hitter.If so, the Rays come out on top. I don't think this was a horrible deal for either team no matter what happens.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Rays were going to blow for another couple of years if they waited for those prospects. Kudos to them for pulling the trigger...

Shields
Ervin Santana
Bruce Chen
Wade Davis and
Luke Hochevar just might be formiddable come June.

And remember they have Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Salvador Perez getting better each season and then...

Bubba freakin' Starling coming!!

Reaction Score
the rays and royals GMs made a deal...thats all the info you need to know who won the trade

Reaction Score
Jeremy Guthrie is in the rotation... Luke's getting the boot.

Good trade for both teams. Royals will be winners over the next 2 seasons but the Rays will come out ahead in the long run.

Meyers is a legit OF with power. His K's could hinder his ceiling but that is about the only fault in his game. People should also not put too much stock into his AAA numbers because the PCL is the most offensive inflated league in the minors. Teams score double digits on the regular in that league which is also why people shouldn't discount pitchers who tend to have suspect numbers in teh PCL. HE will be in the majors and will have a long career. The only question is if he becomes a star.

Odorizzi I would say has a ceiling of a #3 starter but is most likely going ot be a back end type starter. His FB% could become worrisome.

Montgomery is the wildcard. A lefty who throws in the low to mid 90s and is still only 23 (? I think) to go along with a pretty good hook. He did great in the low minors but has struggled the past 2 seasons. I have a feeling his mechanics are out of whack and hitters in teh higher levels were able to identify his curveball as he was probably telegraphing the pitch and wasn't coming from the same arm slot/release point. The Rays are a tremendous franchise with developing pitching and if MM has a shot at getting back on track this is the right situation. The Rays may have struck gold. If he doesn't regain his form he could always be switched to the bullpen and be a LOOGY

Leonard is the one who has hte least chance of making the big leagues. He doesn't have the power that comes with 3rd and his upside is limited. He does play pretty good D at the hot corner and seems to have good plate discipline and strike zone awareness.

The Royals wanted pitching (they requested Dylan Bundy from the O's for Butler and the O's laughed at them and moved on) and the Rays have an over abundance. They were not going to resign Shields so they decided to capitalize after his great year. Signed for 1 yr with a team option for 2014 and I would say he tests the market rather than signing an extension with the Royals.

Wade Davis is somewhat of a forgotten commodity. Mid rotation type starter but was on a team where there was no room in the rotation. Under team control for 5 years at very reasonable salary.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When the Royals are 28-41 at the break there will be people scratching their heads trying to figure out why.

The Rays ran Shields into the ground. Davis is a relief pitcher on a team with one of the better bullpens in baseball.

Just a debacle of a trade for Kansas City.

Reaction Score
I just don't see how this makes sense for the Royals. I don't see this trade pushing them over the hump during this season. They NEED Davis to become at least a solid middle of the rotation guy for this trade to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom