Ray Dalio gives $100M to State of Connecticut. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ray Dalio gives $100M to State of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
You may think this is funny to spout.

Many of us have educators in our family. Teachers. And me ... I am tired of people thinking that the salaries are too high, vacations/summers are easy or they don't accomplish much. First, my Special Ed kid had his life changed by classroom teachers putting in extraordinary effort; not by Doctors/health systems who are "me too" type diagnosis. Then ... I submit that some urban teachers/staff are saints. Yup. I personally watched a woman scoop up dozens of elementary age (mostly girls) from single parent during crack infested years and work to make their lives better.

It is a mixed answer. That is the nature of the work. And I guess I throw social workers in that bucket. But, you do find real solutions in the simply challenging circumstances.
Teachers aren't paid enough.

Reaction Score
You may think this is funny to spout.

Many of us have educators in our family. Teachers. And me ... I am tired of people thinking that the salaries are too high, vacations/summers are easy or they don't accomplish much. First, my Special Ed kid had his life changed by classroom teachers putting in extraordinary effort; not by Doctors/health systems who are "me too" type diagnosis. Then ... I submit that some urban teachers/staff are saints. Yup. I personally watched a woman scoop up dozens of elementary age (mostly girls) from single parent during crack infested years and work to make their lives better.

It is a mixed answer. That is the nature of the work. And I guess I throw social workers in that bucket. But, you do find real solutions in the simply challenging circumstances.
I don't think for one bit teacher's salaries are too high... It's that extra money that gets put into the "Admins" hands or those other made up State jobs that take up the funding that needs to be directed to providing kids with TODAY's adequate educational tools so it, at the very least, helps level the playing field... Get the learning resources in place... No more giving to the ones that don't deserve it....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think their starting salaries are too low but teachers with ten plus years in are absolutely paid enough.
Police/fire/teachers starting pay is too low, then it gets crazy high after 10-15 years. The bigger issue is the system's robust protection of non performing teachers. We could dramatically improve our schools by merely removing the bottom 5% of teachers. No other profession protects incompetence better than public school teachers. Its a shame.

Reaction Score
Police/fire/teachers starting pay is too low, then it gets crazy high after 10-15 years. The bigger issue is the system's robust protection of non performing teachers. We could dramatically improve our schools by merely removing the bottom 5% of teachers. No other profession protects incompetence better than public school teachers. Its a shame.

Agreed. Their starting pay should absolutely be increased but for the hours worked after 10 years they are compensated extremely well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agreed. Their starting pay should absolutely be increased but for the hours worked after 10 years they are compensated extremely well.

here. and extremely is strong.

my daughter has 24 kids in her fourth grade class and her teacher has like 15 years in and makes like 85k. i wouldnt take that job for 3x that.

Reaction Score
here. and extremely is strong.

my daughter has 24 kids in her fourth grade class and her teacher has like 15 years in and makes like 85k. i wouldnt take that job for 3x that.

You wouldn’t take that job with pension and 85 thousand dollars for 181 work days a year? Teaching isn’t for everyone but that is an excellent salary.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You wouldn’t take that job with pension and 85 thousand dollars for 181 work days a year? Teaching isn’t for everyone but that is an excellent salary.

not in ten thousand years. you can make multiples of that in the real world without dealing with children and parents.

Reaction Score
not in ten thousand years. you can make multiples of that in the real world without dealing with children and parents.
I'd do it for a couple years, but theres no way I could be a lifer.

Reaction Score
This country spends more per student than any country in the world on K-12 education and CT is at or near the top of the states, meaning this state spends more per child than anyplace on earth and yet one half of children graduating need remedial education after they graduate and employers can’t find enough skilled labor in the state. Money clearly isn’t the issue. As for Dalio, how much did taxpayers give his company to not flee the state?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom