Ray Dalio gives $100M to State of Connecticut. | The Boneyard

Ray Dalio gives $100M to State of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
This Greenwich billionaire just gave the largest gift ever received by CT to help lift underachieving (mostly high school) students. I’d love to see a huge gift to UConn to help with their higher education. He’s big into ocean exploration and so is UConn. Go get it Susan! You’ll soon be his neighbor.

.Bridgewater Founder’s Foundation Gives Connecticut $100 Million Donation

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Saw that and was going to post about there being plenty of money inside state of CT to alleviate Uconn's cash problem.

I won't say "solve" the problem because that is systemic but there are a few people who could right the ship and get it heading in proper direction.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is a thing? Just donating a ton of money to the state?

They pledged a $100 million to a new non profit they are starting. The state has to kick in $100 million and they want to raise another $100 million on top of that.

It’s not exactly donating $100 million to the state.

Reaction Score
Dalio's gotten a lot of press on this subject. The $ 100 million donation was the subject of an article in the Hartford Courant last weekend. Then, on Sunday evening, Dalio & his philosophy & charitable giving was the lead story on "60 Minutes".

Reaction Score
This Greenwich billionaire just gave the largest gift ever received by CT to help lift underachieving (mostly high school) students. I’d love to see a huge gift to UConn to help with their higher education. He’s big into ocean exploration and so is UConn. Go get it Susan! You’ll soon be his neighbor.

.Bridgewater Founder’s Foundation Gives Connecticut $100 Million Donation
Please Lord let's hope it gets to the educational system where it's needed most, the public school systems... The saddest part about CT is we're applying less and less financial support to the public school system... The education I got growing up in Norwalk through the 70s & 80s had more support than what kids have now in the same town... sad...

Reaction Score
He explains his rationale in this in-depth article on capitalism.
I’m reminded of a line in the song “If I Were a Rich Man” from Fiddler on the Roof”. Tevye muses that if he were a rich man leaders from the town would ask him important questions hoping to solve big problems. Then he adds “it won’t make one bit of difference if I’m right or if I’m wrong, when you’re rich they think you really know”! So true.

Reaction Score
I’m reminded of a line in the song “If I Were a Rich Man” from Fiddler on the Roof”. Tevye muses that if he were a rich man leaders from the town would ask him important questions hoping to solve big problems. Then he adds “it won’t make one bit of difference if I’m right or if I’m wrong, when you’re rich they think you really know”! So true.

This attitude is what has led to the dismissal of experts as "elites" . . .

Reaction Score
Maybe Susan Herbst could talk to him about naming rights for the business school in exchange for a sizable donation. Maybe $150 million to $200 million is a reasonable exchange.

Reaction Score
Who knows if it will be successful. Zuckerberg gave $100M to Newark NJ for same purpose but word is the money got squandered by the pols.
Billionaire philanthropists Ray Dalio and Barbara Dalio pledge $100 million to Connecticut’s public schools; on ’60 Minutes’ Sunday

I prefer to think this is more pointedly on Zuckerberg

There’s a ton of Public Private partnerships that are working. And yes ... I agree with the Governor ... this is the highest form of Citizenship. Bill & Melinda Gates ish. But you’ve proven you can build something valuable: Therefore, make your $100m into something of a legacy. Better than overpaying for portraits of yourself

Reaction Score
A simple first step is to give the guy an honorary degree. All he would have to do is show up in Storrs and get applause.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who knows if it will be successful. Zuckerberg gave $100M to Newark NJ for same purpose but word is the money got squandered by the pols.
Well to be fair that is something Newark does pretty well, not Hartford well mind you, but pretty well nonetheless.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well to be fair that is something Newark does pretty well, not Hartford well mind you, but pretty well nonetheless.
That really isn't true. Ray Chambers has done awesome things for Newark and it's schools for a long time. He funded my friend's Boys and Girls club and paid for all of his schooling.

Reaction Score
Sadly no shock there.

I don't trust public schools as too many looking for themselves and not the students who need the help

You may think this is funny to spout.

Many of us have educators in our family. Teachers. And me ... I am tired of people thinking that the salaries are too high, vacations/summers are easy or they don't accomplish much. First, my Special Ed kid had his life changed by classroom teachers putting in extraordinary effort; not by Doctors/health systems who are "me too" type diagnosis. Then ... I submit that some urban teachers/staff are saints. Yup. I personally watched a woman scoop up dozens of elementary age (mostly girls) from single parent during crack infested years and work to make their lives better.

It is a mixed answer. That is the nature of the work. And I guess I throw social workers in that bucket. But, you do find real solutions in the simply challenging circumstances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom