Ray Allen's #34 to be retired | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen's #34 to be retired

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Will be awkward when Drummond gets in the HOF but isn’t even in the Huskies of Honor...

I would think you'd already have to be on the wall to qualify. That'd exclude Drummond.

Reaction Score
that’s true. I would like to just see Kembas and Rips retired then

I think you would have to stop at Rip. If you add Kemba (unless he makes the Hall) you would have to add Bazz.

Reaction Score
I think you would have to stop at Rip. If you add Kemba (unless he makes the Hall) you would have to add Bazz.
Idk if it’s just me but I don’t think Kemba and Bazz need to be together. Hell if that’s the case throw in Boatright. Haha

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
I'd rather not see jersey retirements at all. I can think of a guy here or there that I feel like are in the highest class of Husky that would get snubbed if they stuck to UConn legend + HOF formula.

Poe

Reaction Score
UConn legend + NBA hall of fame = number retired. I can get behind that. Don’t want to start throwing out number retirements too easily though.

This has to be the criteria. And right now the list starts and stops with Ray, with only Kemba having an outside chance.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Are we going to turn into the Yankees? If Ray got his number retired then guys like Kemba and Okafor deserve it as well.
From the article.

However, the retirement of numbers 34 and 50 will elevate Allen and Lobo to special place of prominence that will be reserved for future UConn basketball alums who are inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Retiring for Ray is good and glad they are limiting the criteria. Huskies of Honor is our Hall if Fame, it would be sad if getting "Honored" becomes an insult.

As a big Paul O'Neil fan, I take huge enjoyment in the fact that his jersey is not retired, but not issued. One guy wore it for a few days in spring training, the got another number as he was getting too much flack.

And as bad as the Yankees are, the NY Football Giants have 15 or so numbers for players that nobody knows.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be surprised if Jim Calhoun was standing next to him

Reaction Score
Hall of Fame seems to be the criteria for retired jerseys. Okafor won't get it. Maybe Kemba one day.

Haven't read the rest of this thread...Kemba's # will be retired. Only a matter of when, not if.

Reaction Score
For all of you that are making NBA success part of this discussion, please reconsider. The criteria should be solely what the player did during his COLLEGE career...NBA stardom is irrelevant. That is why Andre Drummond should never have his UConn number retired, because his one year here was only average (10.0 ppg, 7.6 reb). It is also why Kemba's NBA success shouldn't be an issue - his UConn career ended in 2011. And he would be a shoo-in if using the following standards.

So for having one's number retired, my criteria would be:

1. 1st or 2nd team All American
2. UConn all-time leader in scoring, rebounds, assists

That produces the following list:

AA's:
Marshall, Donyell
Allen
Hamilton
Butler
Okafor
Gay
Walker
Napier

Scoring: C Smith
Rebounds: Quimby
Assists: Brown, T

In scoring, Hamilton is #2 and already on the list. Hanson is #3 with 1,990 pts and warrants consideration.

Reaction Score
For all of you that are making NBA success part of this discussion, please reconsider. The criteria should be solely what the player did during his COLLEGE career...NBA stardom is irrelevant. That is why Andre Drummond should never have his UConn number retired, because his one year here was only average (10.0 ppg, 7.6 reb). It is also why Kemba's NBA success shouldn't be an issue - his UConn career ended in 2011. And he would be a shoo-in if using the following standards.

So for having one's number retired, my criteria would be:

1. 1st or 2nd team All American
2. UConn all-time leader in scoring, rebounds, assists

That produces the following list:

AA's:
Marshall, Donyell
Allen
Hamilton
Butler
Okafor
Gay
Walker
Napier

Scoring: C Smith
Rebounds: Quimby
Assists: Brown, T

In scoring, Hamilton is #2 and already on the list. Hanson is #3 with 1,990 pts and warrants consideration.
What you've just described is the Huskies of Honor.

Reaction Score
Idk if it’s just me but I don’t think Kemba and Bazz need to be together. Hell if that’s the case throw in Boatright. Haha

Not together, but Bazz played a major role in 2 titles.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
“I want them to remember 1 like they remember 15.” Christian Vital
Not to cast any aspersions with this ... but my brother coaches a very good HS lacrosse team and won’t let any player who asks for #1 have it. His take is that any player who wants that number will put his own success ahead of the team.

Reaction Score
Oh the publicity of it all. We have had great players, and they should be recognized.
But we have also had great role players who sucked it up to contribute to the good of the many. And these players are not on that wall.
You can over-do the accolades for college athletics, and I think number retirements is over the edge. We already have a few duplicates on the wall.
IMO, Ray Allen was the most deserving from start to finish. Anyone who remembers his freshman year knew this guy was surprisingly special and a senior year would have delivered a championship.
Leave retired numbers for the pros. I would rather hear about a hot new recruit who wants number 34 because of his hero.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
For all of you that are making NBA success part of this discussion, please reconsider. The criteria should be solely what the player did during his COLLEGE career...
If that were the case. There are others who deserve to have their numbers retired ahead of Ray Allen.

His number is being retired because they feel his accomplishments transcend college basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom