Ray Allen vs AI 96 tourney rewind | The Boneyard

Ray Allen vs AI 96 tourney rewind

Reaction Score
Big fan of these rewinds and this one in particular is a fun watch. I was only 5 during the 96 season but this paints a nice picture of Georgetown vs UConn up till that point.

Link

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I remember being in my seats at MSG in a small area of mostly Georgetown fans. They were high fiving over my head, and talking trash the whole game. They were celebrating as if it was a done deal with 3 minutes. Left. When it ended there was stunned silence from them. I stood and said “Nothing quite like celebrating too early! Nothing like it at all.!”

Good times.

Reaction Score
I hated that game. Felt like we stole it and showed our warts to the nation. I never loved that team, kinda of like 2006. Always knew we were flawed.

Reaction Score
I hated that game. Felt like we stole it and showed our warts to the nation. I never loved that team, kinda of like 2006. Always knew we were flawed.
I enjoyed the game as it is still revered as a classic and part of Big East lore. But yes, like you, I never loved that 1996 team, even though Ray Allen might be favorite Husky of all time ( I don't know for sure), or the 2006 team. I see some people on this board that people say 2006 was one of our best teams ever and I just don't buy that. I saw the flaws in that 2006 very early on.

Reaction Score
Was at the game and I remember the crowd being loud and raucous most of the game but when Rayray hit that shot it sounded like the roof was going come down! Had to be more Uconn fans that I thought in the house. Don't think I've heard that level since. MSG or elsewhere.

So glad our players and fans are going to be able to witness this tourney in the future.

Reaction Score
That team
Lost KO, Donny, and Brian Fair, plus Boo. From the year before
Ray and , Sheffer, were the only ones in double figures . I think Travis was the third leading scorer . Yes it was an overrated team. But Ray shot .466 from the three even though he was the offense.
MS got us into a half court game and we weren’t suited to it at all
They completely shut down DS in that game. Ray had 22 of our 55 points but we shot poorly

Reaction Score
That team
Lost KO, Donny, and Brian Fair, plus Boo. From the year before
Ray and , Sheffer, were the only ones in double figures . I think Travis was the third leading scorer . Yes it was an overrated team. But Ray shot .466 from the three even though he was the offense.
MS got us into a half court game and we weren’t suited to it at all
They completely shut down DS in that game. Ray had 22 of our 55 points but we shot poorly
If memory serves me correct, Sheffer was recovering from a severe hamstring pull and wasn’t the same. Also Ricky Moore while a freshman, had that recurring shoulder problem and was dealing with that too which hurt us defensively and depth wise at the PG position. MS State was not a great team so it was still a bad loss. It’s revisionist history at this point but fans were getting on JC for not being able to advance to the Final Four after close calls in the 6 years prior.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If memory serves me correct, Sheffer was recovering from a severe hamstring pull and wasn’t the same. Also Ricky Moore while a freshman, had that recurring shoulder problem and was dealing with that too which hurt us defensively and depth wise at the PG position. MS State was not a great team so it was still a bad loss. It’s revisionist history at this point but fans were getting on JC for not being able to advance to the Final Four after close calls in the 6 years prior.
If we had Ricky we win the natty. He blew out the shoulder round one against Colgate. We don’t win the Georgetown game without Ricky ( and Kirk king ) down the stretch. They saved our asses. Ray stunk in 2nd 1/2 until that prayer went down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom