Ray Allen III | The Boneyard

Ray Allen III

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Rutgers with the Hobbs connection seems like a real possibility. I don’t think he’s even ranked, but his dad has him 2” taller than most recruiting sites.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
On an semi-related note of former NBA stars kids (and no, not Bronny James) - Peja’s son is a legit top-30 player who has still yet to commit:

What other former NBA stars players kids are coming through high school soon? I know there was a recent flux with Pippen, O’Neal and Harper.

Reaction Score
On an semi-related note of former NBA stars kids (and no, not Bronny James) - Peja’s son is a legit top-30 player who has still yet to commit:

What other former NBA stars players kids are coming through high school soon? I know there was a recent flux with Pippen, O’Neal and Harper.

Most of the high level kids in basketball have parents that were at least D1 college athletes if not professionals. Many have had personal trainers since they were very young. The days of the best prospects in basketball coming from the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder has long been over.

But to answer your question, Carlos Boozer has twins that are very highly ranked.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Rutgers with the Hobbs connection seems like a real possibility. I don’t think he’s even ranked, but his dad has him 2” taller than most recruiting sites.

I don't think he's that level of player and he's about 6'0 tall.

Reaction Score
Most of the high level kids in basketball have parents that were at least D1 college athletes if not professionals. Many have had personal trainers since they were very young. The days of the best prospects in basketball coming from the lower end of the socioeconomic ladder has long been over.
Where are you getting this from?

Reaction Score

But to answer your question, Carlos Boozer has twins that are very highly ranked.
Quite a statement you are making. Any proof?

Reaction Score

I don't think that's true. I would say very few top recruits come from those type of backgrounds. But I would agree with you that it definitely gives any kid a leg up on kids who don't have that type of background.

Go through the top 50 recruits from 2023 and tell me how many of them are coming from the background you are alluding to. Wagner, Evans and Stojakovik are 3 that stand out. I'm sure there are others whose parents played D1 sports in college. But not the majority.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's true. I would say very few top recruits come from those type of backgrounds. But I would agree with you that it definitely gives any kid a leg up on kids who don't have that type of background.

Go through the top 50 recruits from 2023 and tell me how many of them are coming from the background you are alluding to. Wagner, Evans and Stojakovik are 3 that stand out. I'm sure there are others whose parents played D1 sports in college. But not the majority.

Definitely still the exception but you missed the one with the most famous dad of all, Bronny James!

Reaction Score

I am not saying all the kids are from wealthy families (though they are better off than previous generations of NBA players) but there is a high percentage of them with D1 or pro athletes who are their parents. A USA today article from 2016 had 49% of nba players that fit this description and it has only grown since then. There was another article I believe from The Athletic which talked about this more recently.

People around the game more than me say the same things in what they are seeing. And it isn't just the fathers. A lot of these kids have mothers that were elite athletes. Watch the NBA draft. Every year there are stories about this mentioned. I'm not saying basketball has turned into golf lol...but the top kids are generally not from rough impoverished backgrounds since the DWade, Lebron generation. Anyone who played AAU in the 90's or early 2000's can see that the kids today have much better structured situations on average.

Reaction Score
So which of our players are from wealthy families or whose parents were D1 athletes?

Reaction Score
So which of our players are from wealthy families or whose parents were D1 athletes?
We don't have many players that have made the NBA recently..those are the people I am referring to. but I'm positive we have had several players with d1 athletes recently..I believe RJ Cole is one of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not saying all the kids are from wealthy families (though they are better off than previous generations of NBA players) but there is a high percentage of them with D1 or pro athletes who are their parents. A USA today article from 2016 had 49% of nba players that fit this description and it has only grown since then. There was another article I believe from The Athletic which talked about this more recently.

People around the game more than me say the same things in what they are seeing. And it isn't just the fathers. A lot of these kids have mothers that were elite athletes. Watch the NBA draft. Every year there are stories about this mentioned. I'm not saying basketball has turned into golf lol...but the top kids are generally not from rough impoverished backgrounds since the DWade, Lebron generation. Anyone who played AAU in the 90's or early 2000's can see that the kids today have much better structured situations on average.
It doesn't fit your description but okay...

Report: 48.8 percent of NBA players are related to ‘elite’ athletes | For The Win

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
Not all parents, but there's definitely some with the family genetics. Newton has 2 cousins in the NFL and a brother playing low level D1. Donovan's mother was famously a great basketball player. Andre's parents were both great athletes, and I believe his dad played in college.

Andrew Hurley and Hassan Diarra both have relatives everyone is aware of

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Not all parents, but there's definitely some with the family genetics. Newton has 2 cousins in the NFL and a brother playing low level D1. Donovan's mother was famously a great basketball player. Andre's parents were both great athletes, and I believe his dad played in college.

Andrew Hurley and Hassan Diarra both have relatives everyone is aware of
And not just some random NFL player… his cousin in Aaron Jones (Packers Running Back)!

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score

Apologies if this was already posted. Though not exactly aligned to the post, this article has some solid data that shows the relationship between wealth and successful high school sports.

Reaction Score
Clingan's mom Stacey played at Maine, she's the only D1 athlete parent of a scholarship UConn player.
Although he’s not on the team anymore…Tyler Polly’s father.

Just by a quick scan of the bios online:

-AJ’s parents both played college ball
-DC’s mom
-Newton has sibling college players and cousin NFL player
-Joey has 2 college ball playing brothers…gotta assume one of his parents played
- Andrew’s dad played for some BE school not to be named

The list is probably longer, that’s just what’s in the bio’s.

I don’t think Kenny11 was referring to just UConn. In general this is becoming more common.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of goal post moving going on in this thread. The original claim was that 49% of NBA players had a parent that played D1 or pro sports. Cousins and brothers are irrelevant to that claim. It's fine to broaden the conversation, but if someone calls shenanigans on @Kenny11's claim, and someone else jumps in to defend that claim with cousins and siblings, that is just flawed debate strategy.

Then again, maybe no one is debating; just broadening. I dunno. I'll shut up now.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I'm just glad he doesn't have the added pressure of making the correct decision or Denzel Washington has to stay in jail. That's too much to put on the shoulders of an 18 year old kid.
Yeah but the official visits looked fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom