Ray Allen getting his UConn degree today | The Boneyard

Ray Allen getting his UConn degree today

Reaction Score
Ray is the best, a role model on ALL levels, not just any player, he’s bright, and always expanding his knowledge base educationally. I’ve read he always seeks out and incorporates learning for his kids into their travels, museums etc. UCONN can’t be represented better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it's pretty cool that the ceremony itself meant enough for Ray to go through all the hassle of being there. It also looks like he made every effort not to make the day about him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I recall reading an SI feature with a young pro Ray Allen. The interview was conducted in an art museum while they looked at the paintings. I remember a part where Ray was telling why this particular artwork struck him. "How did you get into art?" he was asked. "In college" said Ray "When we were on the road, Coach made sure to do something we wouldn't normally do." And he added a bit more from there. I think of that story whenever some dopes say Calhoun didn't care about his player's education. Ray may be picking up his diploma today but he certainly received an education in the 90's.

Reaction Score
So nice to see. Congratulations on finishing what you started Ray.

It's pretty rare for someone as successful as Ray to remain committed to doing the work required, nearly 30 years after leaving for the NBA, to complete his degree requirements. It speaks to his character, work ethic and his self identified OCD.
His parents and Shannon must be proud.

Reaction Score
I watched some of UConn graduation, the students and speakers were very impressive.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Congratulations Ray! What a wonderful day! What I wouldn’t give to be with my Grandma, Mom and Dad on that wonderful day.

Reaction Score
My stepson graduated from UConn yesterday with Ray. What a cool moment for a fan like me. Wife taped her son, I taped Ray. Got some heat for it but she understood :)
I was actually not looking and only partially listening when the announcer said "Walter Ray Allen". Got the camera out and recorded a nice moment that I could share with my stepson afterwards. Great of him to go back and get his degree.

Reaction Score
My stepson graduated from UConn yesterday with Ray. What a cool moment for a fan like me. Wife taped her son, I taped Ray. Got some heat for it but she understood :)
I was actually not looking and only partially listening when the announcer said "Walter Ray Allen". Got the camera out and recorded a nice moment that I could share with my stepson afterwards. Great of him to go back and get his degree.
You did good getting that clip.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Ray Ray. At least he'll have a degree to fall back on if his basketball career doesn't work out. :D

But seriously, so glad he did this. Always a class act.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Great for him! I worked as a counselor at his basketball camp years ago and he couldn’t have been nicer. (The campers, however, are probably still traumatized having had me as their coach…)

IIRC he negotiated his $70mil NBA contract extension without an agent so he’s always had a good head on his shoulders.

Reaction Score
This is the kind of story that ESPN should have on rather than the BS they show us every day all day. NBA playoffs, UConn just winning a NC this is something that would have been a nice timing 5 minute piece. Interview the kids who sat with him, and the impact he had by being a normal graduate, even though he’s not.

Special dude congrats to Ray! Cool stuff

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom