Ray Allen Article | The Boneyard

Ray Allen Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Interesting article. It does not matter if an NBA city never excepts him as their own. Ray will always be a Connecticut Husky and thats all that matters.

Other than "accepts" instead of "excepts," this.
And if Ray wants to work out the legacy energy with a naming opportunity at his alma mater, that too.
Beloved.

Reaction Score
So what jersey does he represent into the HOF?

Also the article almost convinced me to root for the Heat. I said almost. By the way how many remember his freshman year and the inability of Calhoun to keep him on the bench. Al McGuire's prediction of him being a college superstar was so on point. Name me one bad thing he has been called on. He's the best ambassador of our program ever!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Name me one bad thing he has been called on.

I can't remember who it was, but someone here (the boneyard) hated him with a passion. Something about an incident with his mother's dogs barking.

Reaction Score
I found that to be an exceptionally crappy article. So the writer himself would have stayed in Boston for legacy reasons and to have a jersey retired?! What does that mean or do for you?

How about going to a basketball team where your basketball talents are best suited? Is that worth exploring if you are a basketball player?

It was a weird meditation on mostly personal aspects of Ray Allen's career. I think Ray would likely have been happier personally to stay 'loyal' and stay in Boston, but he didn't make his choice based on his emotional well-being & legacy concerns, he made it based on basketball - because well he is a basketball player.

Reaction Score
I found that to be an exceptionally crappy article. So the writer himself would have stayed in Boston for legacy reasons and to have a jersey retired?! What does that mean or do for you?

How about going to a basketball team where your basketball talents are best suited? Is that worth exploring if you are a basketball player?

It was a weird meditation on mostly personal aspects of Ray Allen's career. I think Ray would likely have been happier personally to stay 'loyal' and stay in Boston, but he didn't make his choice based on his emotional well-being & legacy concerns, he made it based on basketball - because well he is a basketball player.

He's also still pretty good. You'll notice that though he doesn't produce much playing with Lebron and Wade, the Heat is so much better with him on the floor. He commands the constant attention of a defender which eliminates doubling Lebron and Wade.

Reaction Score
It's a really interesting point about Ray that he'll be a Hall of Famer, but he won't be remembered as being associated with a particular team. Another point is that he was never really the centerpiece of a great team. His Bucks and Sonics teams were forgettable, and as such Ray fell just short of superstar status, and he was only the third best player on his championship Celtics team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's a really interesting point about Ray that he'll be a Hall of Famer, but he won't be remembered as being associated with a particular team. Another point is that he was never really the centerpiece of a great team. His Bucks and Sonics teams were forgettable, and as such Ray fell just short of superstar status, and he was only the third best player on his championship Celtics team.

Then Ray should go in as a Husky.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I think Ray's preference would be to go in to the HOF as a Celtic, which isn't gonna happen now. So, I think his best option would be to go in as a Sonic. He was a fan favorite in Seattle & played some of his best ball there. I am a Heat Hater & it breaks my heart to see Ray wearing a Heat uniform. So...if they figure out San Antonio & win the Finals, does Ray retire? If they don't, & the Spurs win, does Duncan retire?

Reaction Score
I think Ray would likely have been happier personally to stay 'loyal' and stay in Boston, but he didn't make his choice based on his emotional well-being & legacy concerns, he made it based on basketball - because well he is a basketball player.

And yet the Celtics, who also made a basketball decision devoid of emotion, are consistently vilified on here for "disrespecting" Ray. Go figure.

Reaction Score
And yet the Celtics, who also made a basketball decision devoid of emotion, are consistently vilified on here for "disrespecting" Ray. Go figure.
No I don't think so and certainly not by the majority. At the time and maybe during the season there was some bitterness by Celtics fans because Ray signed with a rival and did it in a kind of slap in the face way by taking less money. Basically Ray told the Celtics the truth (they weren't as competitive as the Heat) and it was painful to hear. But the majority of UConn fans at least understand Ray's rationale.

RE: Tenspro
Ray was definitely an intergral part of a contending team with 3 stars (GRob, Ray, Cassell) the MAN on a playoff Seattle team and then part of a championship winning big-3 in Boston. He is a Hall-of-Famer unquestionably, which is big. But he's not even in the conversation of say top-25 all-time players so I don't think there it is a deficiency in that he was never 'the man' for a prolonged period on a team. Only a few players were always 'the man' (not even Jordan if you count last yr in DC, not Shaq etc...) and plenty of hall of famers were 2nd or 3rd banana perpetually.

Reaction Score
It was the BS heaped on Ray that we reacted to
The only hypocrisy. was on Boston's part especally the infamous press and some of their illinformed fans.
Its a business both the owners and players are business men.
All Boston had to say was its a pleasure to have you here and we wish you luck. Instead they acted like it was an act of treason.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It was the BS heaped on Ray that we reacted to
The only hypocrisy. was on Boston's part especally the infamous press and some of their illinformed fans.
Its a business both the owners and players are business men.
All Boston had to say was its a pleasure to have you here and we wish you luck. Instead they acted like it was an act of treason.

That's because the guys were really close. And all fans everywhere are going to play the 'treason' card. And the media? Come on, I think we can all agree that they are utter jackasses, with the Boston media being at the forefront of that jackassery.

Reaction Score
RE: Tenspro
Ray was definitely an intergral part of a contending team with 3 stars (GRob, Ray, Cassell) the MAN on a playoff Seattle team and then part of a championship winning big-3 in Boston.

Ray was the MAN on those Bucks teams. In their best playoff run, 2001, he averaged 25, 5, and 5.

Reaction Score
Ray was the MAN on those Bucks teams. In their best playoff run, 2001, he averaged 25, 5, and 5.
I was hesitant to go there because I thought the general public would say those were Sam Cassell or Big Dog's teams. But you are right, Ray alone (from Bucks) was voted for in the MVP ballots that year (tied for 10th, despite really good stats that arguably put him in top 3*), Ray also finished 9th in MVP voting in 04-05. Big Dog's highest was 16th in 98-99.

* Iverson won setting up unfortunate media darling status that propelled Sixers over Bucks in a classic NBA 'rigged' officiating conference final. Ray and Bucks got jobbed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I was hesitant to go there because I thought the general public would say those were Sam Cassell or Big Dog's teams. But you are right, Ray alone (from Bucks) was voted for in the MVP ballots that year (tied for 10th, despite really good stats that arguably put him in top 3*), Ray also finished 9th in MVP voting in 04-05. Big Dog's highest was 16th in 98-99.

Iverson won setting up unfortunate media darling status that propelled Sixers over Bucks in a classic NBA 'rigged' officiating conference final. Ray and Bucks got jobbed.

Only reason Ray was tied for 10th was because he was on the Bucks and not somewhere like Boston, NYC, LA, Philly...etc.

Don't let Iverson's wackjob head sway you though, he was flat out nasty for the first 2/3 of his career.

Reaction Score
Maybe that's a more succinct way to frame my point about Ray never having been "the man" on a contending team: he never finished higher than 9th in MVP voting.

Whether that was merited or not is up for debate, but the basketball world never considered him one of the top 10 players in the league. That said, Ray is clearly a deserving Hall-of-Famer for having a very long and consistent career and, late in his career, becoming the best long-range shooter in league history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom