Rats, UConn has lost another title | The Boneyard

Rats, UConn has lost another title

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I went to the Rutgers at Michigan game last night, and phooey, it seems that UConn is no longer the toughest team in Division 1 when it comes to practice and work ethnic. Nope - that honor now belongs the Michigan Wolverines. And how do I know this, you might ask?

Well, the players said so themselves, right up there on the Crisler Arena jumbo-tron. "We are the hardest working team in America" they averred in the pregame video, and this statement is backed by the yellow t-shirts saying the same thing.

However, I think that this "hardest work" in practice must take its toll because it didn't carry over into the actual game, particularly in the first half. The Wolverines showed a rather stagnant offense; I think the term "slashing to the basket" must sound like a foreign language to them. Ditto on jumping for rebounds - there were times when Hallie Thome, their 6' 5" center, tried for contested rebounds just by sticking her arms up. (Despite this particular criticism, I like her overall play. She's had a good career. Think Stefanie Dolson before Stefanie's transformation her last two years!)

Entertaining game - Michigan led for virtually the entire time with the lead usually ranging from 4 to 7 points. It felt like Rutgers might go on a shooting spree but it didn't happen. It didn't help that they were whistled for way more fouls - Michigan went into the bonus in two quarters with 5 or 6 minutes left to play.

Sierra Calhoun is on the Rutgers squad as a 5th year graduate student. She came off the bench and played a bit more than half the game. Scored seven points - I think she was a pretty good 3-point shooter when at Duke and Ohio State but it didn't show last night. And only because I've been noticing more comments this year about players' appearances, I will note that she sported the longest eye lashes I've ever seen on a basketball player.

Stringer wasn't at the game - I asked a Rutgers fan about that and he didn't know the reason why.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01
Top Bottom