Rate the Hire (Jim Mora) | The Boneyard

Rate the Hire (Jim Mora)

On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best), how would you rate the hire?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Gave it an 8. Never saw it coming. But I like the way AD DB announced today that the narrative we are shutting down or reducing commitment to fb is absolutely false. Love the month long “observation “ period. Like ties to mazzone and Spanos. Like the commitment to building up program on campus and across state. Love the acknowledgment we will be hitting portal in UConn blog. Like familiarity with working for program with off campus stadium. Like enthusiasm. Like fact that he sees here what few do - maybe just desperate to get back - and knows we can get back to being relevant. Next few weeks - staff hires, recruiting, kids opting to stay - could adjust score.

Oh, and wait, Pete Thamel was off, again. After listening to those taking his post and making it a fact, can we just agree he’s not in the know, period.

Reaction Score
In the beginning when I first heard I was disappointed but after reading all info I like it. Also it gives a head start on recruiting and building a staff which is crucial.

Reaction Score
Depends on what results we get, which we won’t know for a couple of years.

But for what this football program is right now, Jim Mora seems like a pretty solid hire. Previous head coaching experience in both the NFL and NCAA, including several years at UCLA with some success, so he’s a name that’s well known in the coaching ranks (and not just because of his dad), which could help big time with recruiting. Don’t know if UConn could do much better but we could certainly do a lot worse.

For the time being, I’ll be optimistic and give it an 8 too. Good hire by DB.

Reaction Score
I'd give it a 7.5, so rounded up to 8.

I see a good bit of aspects in the positive column and somewhat of a concern that in each of his head coaching stops the performance has slid downwards. Time will tell. Go Huskies!!!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It's certainly a win/win for Mora. No local connection so he either becomes a hero or takes a pile of cash and goes somewhere else if he fails. Of course as usual the key is recruiting.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
8... This one came out of total left field as no writer in the world had Mora's name on any open position's short list, but the more I've read on him the more I like it. Gives us a leader of the program with instant name recognition, and proven winner as a HC in both the NFL (Falcons & Seahawks) and college (UCLA w/ 3 10 win seasons). 3 programs in America have this combo in their head coach: Alabama, Michigan & now Connecticut!

Excited to see how Jim Mora will fill out his staff and who he brings in. Pumped to see Mora in Husky blue and white.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that maybe the news got leaked that UConn was going to name Mora HC, so AD Dave was forced to do that strange Zoom intro presser from Mora's lakehouse in Idaho? Or was that like on purpose? Seemed rushed kinda, and they mentioned they would do a official presser when he's in Storrs the 28th.

Reaction Score
5. Totally lukewarm on this. Yeah we have a body in the HC office now. He surely has certain connections with the NFL, and maybe some in College. He has been in charge of a program before, and isn’t some mid-major coordinator.

The problem is that he was mediocre at a big PAC-12 school in his lone stint in CFB, which only lasted 5 years. I’ll be the first to say I have no idea how well he recruited; but that will always be my #1 concern regarding a coach coming from anywhere but college to lead a college program. Maybe he knows some young guys he can hire and delegate with good energy who can recruit; but, as I said, I’m lukewarm. I think how out of left field this hire is may be cause for concern itself; like you couldn’t get anyone with more (recent) CBN coaching experiment? Mora hasn’t even been doing what PP or Edsall were doing in the NFL when we hired them.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
The anthropologist in me is noticing that that younger poster with hoops-referencing avatars and handles are less enthusiastic about this hire that others. Just an observation and not sure what it means, but curious.

Reaction Score
5. Totally lukewarm on this. Yeah we have a body in the HC office now. He surely has certain connections with the NFL, and maybe some in College. He has been in charge of a program before, and isn’t some mid-major coordinator.

The problem is that he was mediocre at a big PAC-12 school in his lone stint in CFB, which only lasted 5 years. I’ll be the first to say I have no idea how well he recruited; but that will always be my #1 concern regarding a coach coming from anywhere but college to lead a college program. Maybe he knows some young guys he can hire and delegate with good energy who can recruit; but, as I said, I’m lukewarm. I think how out of left field this hire is may be cause for concern itself; like you couldn’t get anyone with more (recent) CBN coaching experiment? Mora hasn’t even been doing what PP or Edsall were doing in the NFL when we hired them.

He had at least 2 top 15 recruiting classes that I know of at UCLA so - he can recruit well.

Reaction Score
It's certainly a win/win for Mora. No local connection so he either becomes a hero or takes a pile of cash and goes somewhere else if he fails. Of course as usual the key is recruiting.
He’s here until he retires. Already 59. Has a 5 year contract. If he does well, he’ll stay longer, if he doesn’t, he’ll probably go back to broadcasting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom