Rate the 2018 UConn Early Signing Class | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rate the 2018 UConn Early Signing Class

Compared to other classes this decade, how would you rate this year's early signing class?

• A Step Forward

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • Marginal Improvement

Votes: 40 23.1%
  • Hard to Tell

Votes: 50 28.9%
  • Pretty Much the Same

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • Marginal Decline

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • A Step Backward

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Yeah, I've really enjoyed the emails so far but I had the same takeaway. @huskymedic's rolling offer list proves that it's not for lack of trying, but more a result of 8 years of garbage football. Start to turn things around on the field and the recruiting classes will look better.
That's a 'chicken or the egg' conundrum, and it's virtually unsolvable.

You can't recruit better until you play better.

You can't play better until you recruit better.

This is our hellish status in 2018.

Reaction Score
I don’t think these recruiting rankings mean much once you get past the top 30 or so programs. You can become a top 40-50 program by recruiting smart and doing a good job with development. I’m absolutely convinced the recruiting sites gear they’re evaluations to the programs recruiting kids. While that tells you something, it’s far from fool proof. The sites don’t get an accurate read on actual offers and they have limited skills to assess talent.

Years ago Dallas Jackson from TOS was a classic example of the limitations those sites have.

Reaction Score
I think the top 3 in this classs are better than the top 3 last year based solely on what the posted films looked like at the time of signing. The rest are comparable to last year. This is also a thin haul for the early period. I would have hoped for 15+. Even with the non-announced letters, it is still thin.

I hope the majority of these players get the full year to redshirt.

Reaction Score
I think the top 3 in this classs are better than the top 3 last year based solely on what the posted films looked like at the time of signing. The rest are comparable to last year. This is also a thin haul for the early period. I would have hoped for 15+. Even with the non-announced letters, it is still thin.

I hope the majority of these players get the full year to redshirt.

The redshirt point is a very good one. Sustained success for a program like UCONN requires that we get fast kids that need time to physically mature.

Reaction Score
The redshirt point is a very good one. Sustained success for a program like UCONN requires that we get fast kids that need time to physically mature.

That concept was the start of the Diaco downfall. He thought his recruits were better and ready for action as freshmen and burned redshirts too quickly. He was treating UConn recruits like Notre Dame 4 & 5 stars. The 4 game redshirt rule is a difference maker for teams like UConn. This is also where grad transfers can make a tremendous difference. They fill a spot that saves a year of eligibility for a freshman

Reaction Score
My only issue with this “can’t find hidden diamonds” anymore is summed up as follows: Tyler Matakevich (Trumbull, Ct. 6-1 235)...

If you think it’s tough to recruit at UConn, imagine at Temple. Here’s a kid who would have given his left nut to play at UConn, but we were too good for him.

I always thought it was a grades issue with Tyler.

Reaction Score
They are still ranked dead last in the AAC and in the 130's nation wide. That is not good at all. Unless over half the commits so far are diamonds in the rough(which we won't see for at least two seasons anyways) UConn isn't even treading water. Ranked around #6 in the conference would be treading water.

The last thing the team needs right now is yet another coaching upheaval. What did Edsall or the AD expect Crocker and the other coaches do with a team full of freshmen and sophomores? So now that a lot of those freshmen have a season under their belt they are asked to start all over again with new strength and conditioning and a different defensive scheme. All I can say is the new crew better be damn good recruiters.

Reaction Score
This poll was voted on by homers with blind folds on. This was not a good recruiting class. Horrible and a step backwards.

Reaction Score
This poll was voted on by homers with blind folds on. This was not a good recruiting class. Horrible and a step backwards.
There is no way in hell that this class is a step backwards compared to last year.

Reaction Score
There is no way in hell that this class is a step backwards compared to last year.
Not last year (coaching change) but I believe the question was the last decade. This is one of our worst classes.

Reaction Score
Not last year (coaching change) but I believe the question was the last decade. This is one of our worst classes.

Last year was Edsall (and staff's) first full recruiting class - the coaching change class was the year before (2017)...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can't see how this class isnt already better than anything going back to 2013 and we have at least seven more slots to fill, maybe as many as 10.

Reaction Score
We're getting more 3 stars than when we were getting started in the Big East. What's wrong with some of you?

Reaction Score
Interesting article about All-Pro linemen from the last decade. Not many with a lot of stars.
#1. Find the kids that love the game.

Reaction Score
My only issue with this “can’t find hidden diamonds” anymore is summed up as follows: Tyler Matakevich (Trumbull, Ct. 6-1 235)...

If you think it’s tough to recruit at UConn, imagine at Temple. Here’s a kid who would have given his left nut to play at UConn, but we were too good for him.

The fact that he played as a true frosh indicated, to me, that UConn's admission requirements went beyond NCAA Clearing House requirements which, if true, is a significant disadvantage.

In an article written later, Tyler's HS coach mentioned that he warned him about UConn' requirements.

Reaction Score
Honestly we need to recruit fans as much as players. Awful fair weathered fan base.

Reaction Score
This is a tough sell. Generally have to recruit outside of New England, CT kids that are 4/5 stars look down at UConn, we are not in a P5 conf and have no true rivalries (gimmicky trophies aside), we have little D1 history and we have not been good for a decade. If you subscribe to that, this portion of the class was decent. HCRE needs about 3-4 more of these to get us back to where we were. But it is a start.
You have to start somewhere. Army, after a long dismal period is pounding people. People debated whether they could compete at this level given their restrictions. Ask Houston if they compete?
It didn't happen in a season or two either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom