Rate the 2018 UConn Early Signing Class | The Boneyard

Rate the 2018 UConn Early Signing Class

Compared to other classes this decade, how would you rate this year's early signing class?

• A Step Forward

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • Marginal Improvement

Votes: 40 23.1%
  • Hard to Tell

Votes: 50 28.9%
  • Pretty Much the Same

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • Marginal Decline

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • A Step Backward

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to see if there is consensus on the BY

Reaction Score
It's always "hard to tell" until they play, but in terms of offers and ratings, it's pretty much in line with what we've seen for the past 10 years, save the 2014 and 2015 disasters.

Reaction Score
I thought that the UConn Daily comments by John Silver were telling. He was pretty scathing and said the staff had their sights set too low. Well, if all you can recruit with a reasonable chance of success are FCS and mid major quality players, then that says something about what your program really is.

Reaction Score
I thought that the UConn Daily comments by John Silver were telling. He was pretty scathing and said the staff had their sights set too low. Well, if all you can recruit with a reasonable chance of success are FCS and mid major quality players, then that says something about what your program really is.
John misfired on that one. We did try to recruit people with more offers. The problem is that no one wants to come here. Graded on a curve, this is a good class.

Reaction Score
John misfired on that one. We did try to recruit people with more offers. The problem is that no one wants to come here. Graded on a curve, this is a good class.
Yeah, I've really enjoyed the emails so far but I had the same takeaway. @huskymedic's rolling offer list proves that it's not for lack of trying, but more a result of 8 years of garbage football. Start to turn things around on the field and the recruiting classes will look better.

Reaction Score
I wish all well, and hopefully there is enough talent such that of the 4 year window for playing, they don't have to spend two-three years in conditioning and training to get to the point they can compete physically with our opponents. Some of the players appear "tiny" in weight class for their designated positions.

Reaction Score
I wish all well, and hopefully there is enough talent such that of the 4 year window for playing, they don't have to spend two-three years in conditioning and training to get to the point they can compete physically with our opponents. Some of the players appear "tiny" in weight class for their designated positions.
Uhh that's how football recruiting works. You recruit for skills and potential. The types of kids you're talking about go to Alabama, USC, etc. We're never getting them. Ever.

Reaction Score
Uhh that's how football recruiting works. You recruit for skills and potential. The types of kids you're talking about go to Alabama, USC, etc. We're never getting them. Ever.
You know Oregon football used to suck? You are quite the pessimist.

Reaction Score
End of the day, this is what you need to think about. Edsall typically recruited athletic kids that can be developed which is what we see in this class. We know it worked for Edsall in the past and I see no reason why it won't in the future. As for instant impact recruits, UConn has typically not recruited many, but in 2018 we saw way too many undeveloped freshmen playing significant time. In the 2019 class, I only think we will see 1 to 3 true freshmen play, but the two grad transfers will be instant impact players. My guess is we may see a couple more grad transfers or jucos.

One last point. How many Bob Diaco recruits have made one the All-AAC end of the season teams? The answer is 0. In 2015, Diaco's best season, he inherited defensive All-AAC defenders Jamar Summers, Julian Campenni, Andrew Adams, Foley Fatukasi, Junior Joseph, and Obi Melanfonwu. Who did Edsall inherit?

Reaction Score
I see some positive signs. It seemed like Edsall and Co., even moreso than last year, tried to hide some hidden gems like Zergiotis, Rayonte Brown and Eric Watts by offering them late and/or telling them to not publicly announce their commitment. Watts' game tape looks really good - he is fast, nimble and relentless. And Brown looks really athletic and is already big and strong - just the type of guy the new MD coach Locksley might have swooped in on. I am a bit disappointed that they did not sign another linebacker given the obvious need, but Harris and Mitchell (the kinds of player we need to keep in CT) look good.

Reaction Score
Given the record last year, the first half of this class is a step forward. On the bright side, we have the depth in the OL to redshirt and develop the young guys that are obviously projects. The same is not true on the defensive side of the ball as UConn needs immediate contributors. Edsall went to football hotbeds to get kids that have played a high levels in Texas and Florida. I divide the class as follows:

Immediate Contributors - Bell, Harris and potentially Medlock at TE. All have P5 offers. I also include the two grad transfers as immediate contributors. The RB gives UConn a 3rd down back and the ability to move Scott back to WR.

Could Surprise Early - Mitchell - well developed and powerful, would have had more offers if not for early commit. Dixon - never underestimate CBs from FL. Dixon may not have the size, but he tackles like a safety. Unless Uconn gets some S commits that could be where he ends up. Dixon had a long list of offers, no P5, but lots of interest.

Projects: Watts and Brown are tall undeveloped kids that Edsall wants for 5 years. Jules will need time develop as a DB and Uconn shouldn't have to use Lundt on the OL so he will hopefully get a RS year. Zagiotis will obviously not be counted on as a Freshman

A key for Edsall will be to find a couple more JUCOs or Grad transfers that will allow him to RS more of the incoming class. That is how he developed the team during HCRE1. Also hope that Ross is one of the signed, but not publicized guys as a playmaking WR is a need. This JUCO athlete from CA could be nice at TE.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ok, sorry. Unless a UConn grad and superfan creates the next Nike, we are never going to land them. Ever

Happy?
Duke and Northwestern were horrible for decades. Not that I'm into optimism. but it is possible to turn ships around. I say that, being at best luke-warm about HCRE as I was when his second coming was announced. .

Reaction Score
Duke and Northwestern were horrible for decades. Not that I'm into optimism. but it is possible to turn ships around. I say that, being at best luke-warm about HCRE as I was when his second coming was announced. .
How many 5* recruits do they get? A kid who is big enough, strong enough, fast enough and skilled enough to make an immediate impact as a freshman is typically a high 4* or 5* recruit.

Reaction Score
This is a tough sell. Generally have to recruit outside of New England, CT kids that are 4/5 stars look down at UConn, we are not in a P5 conf and have no true rivalries (gimmicky trophies aside), we have little D1 history and we have not been good for a decade. If you subscribe to that, this portion of the class was decent. HCRE needs about 3-4 more of these to get us back to where we were. But it is a start.

How good? We should wait for full class to sign. Frankly, we should judge this class in 20, not 18.

Reaction Score
We've been FBS for recruits' whole lives as of now. Holy cow.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Totally agree. And we are not done....so lets see what February brings.

Randy knows he missed fired last year by not focusing enough on speed, desire and physicality.

Reaction Score
Thanks in part to the CFP crap, not a single 4 star recruit for the AAC.

And BC and Cuse are at the bottom of ACC rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom