Rare opportunity to feel good about UConn Men’s athletics | The Boneyard

Rare opportunity to feel good about UConn Men’s athletics

Reaction Score
Honestly, there's been a growing sense of apathy from a lot of people here as it relates to college sports, and I think college hockey is a perfect candidate to fill that void in the northeast. If conference realignment has ostracized a certain region from the national discussion in basketball in football, then hockey - a regional game played by regional players in a regional conference - can restore some identity to the sports landscape (I do think the New Big East will continue to thrive).

And look, if you don't see yourself ever being into college hockey or hockey in general, I get it. I never thought I would be, either. But people follow people, and I think there is always going to be a certain pull to identifying with something you're not insulated from. If college basketball and college football are what's wrong with college sports, then college hockey is a lot of what's right. 11 schools, all located within New England, all of whom can beat anybody, with most of the games played on college campuses, is a mode that has helped me rectify some of my distaste for what has gone on nationally.

Reaction Score
I live 45 minutes away from the #1 team in the country!

Reaction Score
This thread got me to go! Sadly, the home team lost. But at least they are r
PSX_20180203_231600_1517718008662.jpg
elevant!

Reaction Score
Honestly, there's been a growing sense of apathy from a lot of people here as it relates to college sports, and I think college hockey is a perfect candidate to fill that void in the northeast. If conference realignment has ostracized a certain region from the national discussion in basketball in football, then hockey - a regional game played by regional players in a regional conference - can restore some identity to the sports landscape (I do think the New Big East will continue to thrive).

And look, if you don't see yourself ever being into college hockey or hockey in general, I get it. I never thought I would be, either. But people follow people, and I think there is always going to be a certain pull to identifying with something you're not insulated from. If college basketball and college football are what's wrong with college sports, then college hockey is a lot of what's right. 11 schools, all located within New England, all of whom can beat anybody, with most of the games played on college campuses, is a mode that has helped me rectify some of my distaste for what has gone on nationally.

Wait a second...

Aren't you a UNH fan?

You can forget about winning at the Aquarium of Delirium on the 26th I'll tell you that much.

Well UConn did and it was great.
Can't believe you call it by that name too. SMH

Reaction Score
I love the #icebus.

Also, don't forget about UConn baseball.

That program has benefited greatly from the AAC (which is a power conference in baseball).

I can picture thousands of people gathered at Dunkin Donuts Parks on a warm evening in June, watching UConn baseball playing in Omaha.

That'll be a huge deal.

Penders is a brilliant coach and just the person to lead them there.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I love the #icebus.

Also, don't forget about UConn baseball.

That program has benefited greatly from the AAC (which is a power conference in baseball).

I can picture thousands of people gathered at Dunkin Donuts Parks on a warm evening in June, watching UConn baseball playing in Omaha.

That'll be a huge deal.

Penders is a brilliant coach and just the person to lead them there.
Won’t they be working on the new baseball field this season? Will we see games in Hartford?

Reaction Score
UConn played once last year in Hartford and I believe will be playing three games this year. Their game last year drew about 3K, huge success. Outstanding ballpark, that people love going to so I'd imagine they will do a handful every year going forward.

Reaction Score
Won’t they be working on the new baseball field this season? Will we see games in Hartford?

https://updc.uconn.edu/wp-content/u...7/12/2017_1220-Construction-Activity-2018.pdf

According to "N", it starts this summer. I'm not sure what goes 1st. They changed their plans with the whole new "athletic village" thing.

I think baseball and soccer are in its normal spots this upcoming season

Could be wrong.

I'm sure they'll schedule at least a game or series this season at DDP

Reaction Score
Hockey Good, Baseball Good, but we're all on this board because we love UConn BB. Nothing less than a competitive team is going to make us feel much better. It's not like I'm going to replace my passion for hoops with one of the other sports

Edit: check back with me this time next year :)

Reaction Score
That BC game was a terrific college hockey game. Back and forth, good shots really good crowd, some very good goal tending. The towels and the blue lights for the intro set the right tone for the evening. And you could sense the 2 teams didn’t really like each other. What college sports were meant to be. Not semi-pro.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That BC game was a terrific college hockey game. Back and forth, good shots really good crowd, some very good goal tending. The towels and the blue lights for the intro set the right tone for the evening. And you could sense the 2 teams didn’t really like each other. What college sports were meant to be. Not semi-pro.
My only complaint re:atmosphere/environment at hockey games is “the power station power playyyyyyy”

Reaction Score

Sounds like the old Yankee Conference. UConn athletics found itself light years behind the res of the country because it stayed small, regional, all New England. Basketball broke out, struggled at first, then because quite adept on a national level (NCs adept). Football took longer but was catching up quickly. Then conference realignment. College hoops and football need to be "blown up" and started all over again.

Reaction Score
Hockey Good, Baseball Good, but we're all on this board because we love UConn BB. Nothing less than a competitive team is going to make us feel much better. It's not like I'm going to replace my passion for hoops with one of the other sports

I love UConn.

I can be upset about the state of of the basketball program while also being happy about the success of other sports.

But, to each their own.

Reaction Score

Yeah this ^ nothing else comes close. The only reason I care about any one of these is because of mens basketball. A little has to do with the state I grew up in but the others are just there as an add on.

Reaction Score
Another ranked win for the hockey team. Beat #11 Northeastern.

17th ranked win for cav since 14-15
At least 4 ranked wins this season

Now 6th in Hockey East

Show up on Friday 2/16 against BU @ XL. 7pm. Last game is thrus 2/22 against UMass

Potential home ice playoffs 3/1 - 3/3

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom