Rapinoe and Bird: America's Ultimate Sports Power Couple | The Boneyard

Rapinoe and Bird: America's Ultimate Sports Power Couple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In 2017, Sports Illustrated listed Rapinoe and Bird as third on its “definitive power ranking of athlete couples”— but this is just rubbish. Unlike the top two couples, both women are not only still playing their respective sports but are at the top of their game.

Both Rapinoe and Bird have dominated their sports for over a decade. U.S. national team midfielder Rapinoe just won the 2019’s FIFA World Cup Golden Boot for most goals scored this cup after leading her team in tough wins against both Spain and host France. Since beginning her professional career in 2009, Rapinoe played on women’s national teams that won the World Cup in 2015 and again in 2019. She also has an Olympic gold medal in her trophy case.

[MORE HERE]

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In 2017, Sports Illustrated listed Rapinoe and Bird as third on its “definitive power ranking of athlete couples”— but this is just rubbish. Unlike the top two couples, both women are not only still playing their respective sports but are at the top of their game.
IDK, Agassi and Graf? Nomar and Mia? That's some pretty tough competition.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
IDK, Agassi and Graf? Nomar and Mia? That's some pretty tough competition.

I wish I had a better sense of the consensus within the soccer world on Rapinoe. Is she considered a true all-time great or more an elite player who became a bigger name because she was a colorful character?

Agassi and Graf are tough to beat on the all-time list because they are legit all-timers in their sports. Hamm and Bird are both in that same stratusphere. My instinct is that Nomar and Rapinoe are just a cut below that level.

Bird and Rapinoe have the x-factor that they will be lesbian icons forever.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wish I had a better sense of the consensus within the soccer world on Rapinoe. Is she considered a true all-time great or more an elite player who became a bigger name because she was a colorful character?

Agassi and Graf are tough to beat on the all-time list because they are legit all-timers in their sports. Hamm and Bird are both in that same stratusphere. My instinct is that Nomar and Rapinoe are just a cut below that level.

Bird and Rapinoe have the x-factor that they will be lesbian icons forever.
Rapinoe isn't an all-time great. She's not on the level with Akers, Hamm, Wambach, Lilly, Solo, etc. (soccer wise) She's very, very good. But yea a lot of her notoriety comes from her social/political stances.

She's not the best player on the team right now, but she's probably the most well known.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Rapinoe isn't an all-time great. She's not on the level with Akers, Hamm, Wambach, Lilly, Solo, etc. (soccer wise) She's very, very good. But yea a lot of her notoriety comes from her social/political stances.

She's not the best player on the team right now, but she's probably the most well known.

I feel like Rapinoe actually plays quite average much of the time but does one or two things per match that are just pure quality and make you go "oh right, that's why she starts every game".

It's like Chelsea fans and Pedro. As soon as they start tweeting about how useless he is, he usually scores a cracking goal.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's like Chelsea fans and Pedro. As soon as they start tweeting about how useless he is, he usually scores a cracking goal.

If only the same thing could happen with Michael Bradley. I've never seen someone so universally pilloried on Twitter enjoy such job security and talking-head support.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

If she keeps making clutch kicks that could change. She isn't a flashy "skills" player with great speed but she sure knows where to kick the ball. Otherwise she wouldnt be chosen to kick in key spots.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I feel like Rapinoe actually plays quite average much of the time but does one or two things per match that are just pure quality and make you go "oh right, that's why she starts every game".
Spot on. She seems to try a lot of stuff that doesn't come off, but every once in awhile (usually in a big moment) it does. When I watch her play, there are a lot of "crap what are you doing" or "come on Megan" moments, but then once or twice a game..."nice" or "brilliant".

Reaction Score
That pretty much sums up her play from what I have seen in the 2015 World Cup, 2016 Olympics, and 2019 World Cup.

Reaction Score

But isnt that soccer? You could outplay someone for 90 minutes, but if one of your defenders trips at an inopportune time you lose 1-0. Soccer can very much turn on a single play.

Reaction Score
But isnt that soccer? You could outplay someone for 90 minutes, but if one of your defenders trips at an inopportune time you lose 1-0. Soccer can very much turn on a single play.

Eg, the men's gold cup final where the US guy (Altidore I think) major league blew a prime scoring chance in the 1st half. You could have 20 scoring chances but if your players shrink in the moment, you lose. In contrast, a team with 1 chance can win if it can finish.
Rapinoe scored.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
DT and Penny Taylor aren't too shabby.

Penny may not have been all-world, but she had a better than decent career.

With all due, @ed4ourgirls , Penny Taylor was literally All-World, as she was named the MVP of the 2006 FIBA World Championships.

• 3× WNBA champion (2007, 2009, 2014)
  • 3× WNBA All-Star (2002, 2007, 2011)
  • All-WNBA First Team (2007)
  • All-WNBA Second Team (2011)
  • 2× Olympic silver medalist (2004, 2008)
  • 1× FIBA World Championship gold medalist (2006)
  • 2× FIBA World Championship bronze medalist (2002, 2014)

In fact, an argument could be made that the respective resumes of Diana Taurasi/Penny Taylor match those of Sue Bird/Megan Rapinoe.

As an aside, the “definitive power ranking of athlete couples” should have an Honorable Mention for Zach Ertz and Julie Ertz. He holds the NFL record for most receptions in a single season by a tight end (116, in 2018), is a Super Bowl champion and was twice named to the Pro Bowl (2017, 2018). She has two gold medals from the FIFA World Cup, won the golden ball from the 2018 CONCACAF Women's Championship, and was named the 2017 USWNT Player of the Year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With all due, @ed4ourgirls , Penny Taylor was literally All-World, as she was named the MVP of the 2006 FIBA World Championships.

• 3× WNBA champion (2007, 2009, 2014)
  • 3× WNBA All-Star (2002, 2007, 2011)
  • All-WNBA First Team (2007)
  • All-WNBA Second Team (2011)
  • 2× Olympic silver medalist (2004, 2008)
  • 1× FIBA World Championship gold medalist (2006)
  • 2× FIBA World Championship bronze medalist (2002, 2014)
In fact, an argument could be made that the respective resumes of Diana Taurasi/Penny Taylor match those of Sue Bird/Megan Rapinoe.

As an aside, the “definitive power ranking of athlete couples” should have an Honorable Mention for Zach Ertz and Julie Ertz. He holds the NFL record for most receptions in a single season by a tight end (116, in 2018), is a Super Bowl champion and was twice named to the Pro Bowl (2017, 2018). She has two gold medals from the FIFA World Cup, won the golden ball from the 2018 CONCACAF Women's Championship, and was named the 2017 USWNT Player of the Year.
When Penny was at her peak, I thought she was in the top 3-5 in the world. Those slightly ahead of her were Taurasi, Jackson, and Catchings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom