Rankings ?? | The Boneyard

Rankings ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven't seen this posted, so: just thumbed thru an Athalon mag at the train station. They have UConn 9th in BE (wasn't that same last year?). Not ranked nationally. But - 7th best backcourt in country!! The team has possibilities!!

The 'other' mag had a 'assembly malfunction', and was missing its BE pages. Hmmmmm.

Anyone hear other such tidbits??

Reaction Score
When you are unable to play on the postseason you are unable to ever be ranked nationally no matter what your record is, I believe. Last year we were picked preseason nationally 4th and big east tied for 1st with Syracuse. However we have finished 9th the last two years.

Reaction Score
You can be ranked but they probably won't rank us cause whats the point. We arn't competing for a title

Reaction Score
You can be ranked but they probably won't rank us cause whats the point. We arn't competing for a title

Rankings have nothing to do with the postseason. If we deserve to be ranked at any point, we'll be ranked.

Reaction Score
Rankings have nothing to do with the postseason. If we deserve to be ranked at any point, we'll be ranked.
I disagree. even if we deserve to be ranked we most likely won't be because of the ban.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I think getting ranked is going to be a huge incentive for this team, so they can say, "we should have been there."

There's seems to be a pervasive mindset that this year "doesn't matter" and so this and that will happen.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

The NIT mattered when we won it. It was, in essence, the dry run for the Big Show. It was the core of that team that returned and shocked the world.

And this matters. How we do this year will directly impact how we do next year. Pride is not something that you shelve for a bit and take down when, suddenly, inspiration floods up your ass.

My expectation is that this team will play every game with an attitude that says, "watch out, we're coming. You might be able to dodge us March 2013, but next year, you're ours."

If Boat returns, then 2014 will be a great tourni.

If not, I'm confident Ollie will bring in some talent and whip up some magic UConn elixir to make a deep run, with Shabazz manning the point and several seasoned players making an impact.

This year will make them hungrier for next year, I believe, and so that makes this year well worth following for me.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I disagree. even if we deserve to be ranked we most likely won't be because of the ban.
That's just not true. Teams on probation and post season bans are ranked all the time. As stated previously, rankings have absolutely nothing to do post season.

Reaction Score

This just isn't true. The job of the people who vote on these rankings (i.e. the coaches and the media) is to make a weekly list of what they perceive to be the top 25 teams in the country. It's not a list of who they think will win the National Championship. The post season ban has nothing to do with the rankings.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I want this team to go out with the mindset of destroying other teams' seasons.

That is negative energy, grasshopper. I want this team to go out with the mindset of becoming a cohesive unit, a true team united to making everyone else better, the whole becoming greater than the sum of the parts. I want them to put their effort and concentration into playing to their potential, to be the best that they can be. If they do that, I don't care what their record says. At the end of the season, in my book, we're gonna be winners.

Reaction Score
USC was ranked in top 25 when they were on post season ban. It was NCAA football but it still applies. If the team is good it will be ranked.

Reaction Score
I still want to be the answer of a trivia question: What is the only NCAA basketball team to go undefeated and not win a National Champion?

NCState 1973 27-0 with David Thompson but couldn't go to the NCAA tournament

Reaction Score
That is negative energy, grasshopper. I want this team to go out with the mindset of becoming a cohesive unit, a true team united to making everyone else better, the whole becoming greater than the sum of the parts. I want them to put their effort and concentration into playing to their potential, to be the best that they can be. If they do that, I don't care what their record says. At the end of the season, in my book, we're gonna be winners.

Agreed, it would be great if they subscribed to a two year plan (all but Coach), with the expectation that they will all return and be a dominant force in the league and tourney. That would make this year a statement year notify the world that we will be back, better than ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom