Rankings | The Boneyard

Rankings

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hey coaches, what's up with this?

1608573307780.png

I think the APs take is better:

1608573372507.png

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Most coaches hate UConn this is understandable.
This isn't really true. The coaches have put UConn #1 aplenty over the years.

Here the point totals are pretty close in both polls. The primary difference between the polls is that the coaches, on average, gave NC State more of a boost for beating South Carolina. Let's face it, UConn hasn't played anything even close to a top 10 team yet. Or do we have some need to feel slighted?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This isn't really true. The coaches have put UConn #1 aplenty over the years.

Here the point totals are pretty close in both polls. The primary difference between the polls is that the coaches, on average, gave NC State more of a boost for beating South Carolina. Let's face it, UConn hasn't played anything even close to a top 10 team yet. Or do we have some need to feel slighted?
I like where we are, unlike last year when there were 3 teams definitively better than UCONN, this year the close point totals indicates that the teams are much closer.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't understand all the fuss, the real Top 25 poll will be released later today and I expect UConn will be either #2 or #3....:D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't understand all the fuss, the real Top 25 poll will be released later today and I expect UConn will be either #2 or #3....:D
:D If that's really your expectation might as well schedule the recount for tomorrow.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I was doing my poll in respect to the AP and the Coaches polls, I found myself asking "Do the coaches really make a concerted effort to see how teams are playing, who they are playing and the relevance to each other"?

There are clear warning signs that certain teams should not be ranked as high as they are, yet if a team wins, the polls seem to want to support their past perception, regardless of how ugly a teams win was.

As more relevant games get played, especially for us with Baylor, Tennessee and SC, and then for Stanford with Oregon (maybe UCLA and Arizona), and then Louisville with NC State, we should have a better grouping of hierarchy. This current ranking does provide great theatre though...:cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As I was doing my poll in respect to the AP and the Coaches polls, I found myself asking "Do the coaches really make a concerted effort to see how teams are playing, who they are playing and the relevance to each other"?

There are clear warning signs that certain teams should not be ranked as high as they are, yet if a team wins, the polls seem to want to support their past perception, regardless of how ugly a teams win was.

As more relevant games get played, especially for us with Baylor, Tennessee and SC, and then for Stanford with Oregon (maybe UCLA and Arizona), and then Louisville with NC State, we should have a better grouping of hierarchy. This current ranking does provide great theatre though...:cool:
You bring up an interesting question and I would answer no. The Coaches poll is made up of only 32 coaches who get to cast actual votes. If you look at some of the names C. Vivian for example I would think is more concerned about her own team and conference during the season as opposed to figuring out who the Number 15-20 team is. I honestly think if you a coach with a vote you delegate this to someone on staff and you might glance at it to make sure it's OK.

List of voters for coaches poll:
Suzy Barcomb, Seattle; Matt Bollant, Eastern Illinois; Dan Burt, Duquesne; Jackie Carson; Furman; Billi Chambers, Iona; Bill Cleary, Colgate; Shane Clipfell, Western Michigan; Jamie Craighhead, San Jose State; Megan Duffy, Marquette; Ronny Fisher, Campbell; Lisa Fortier, Gonzaga; Freda Freeman-Jackson, Alabama State; Julie Goodenough; Abilene Christian; Carey Green, Liberty; Tamara Inoue, UC Irvine; Monique LeBlanc, Brown; Maria Marchesano, Mount St. Mary’s; Katie Meier, Miami (Fla.); Jalie Mitchell, North Texas; Mike Neighbors, Arkansas; Raegan Pebley, TCU; Kyle Rechlicz, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Diane Richardson, Towson; Lynne Roberts, Utah; Matt Ruffing, Evansville; Seton Sobolewski, Idaho State; Lisa Stockton, Tulane; C. Vivian Stringer, Rutgers; Amy Vachon, Maine; Larry Vickers, Norfolk State; Jaida Williams, Coastal Carolina; Doshia Woods, Denver.

Reaction Score
If Moscow State and Lenin College appear on the list ..then we have a problem..until then chill!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Hey coaches, what's up with this?
I think the APs take is better:
The media are just fans with influence but no real understanding of the game. Coaches do have an understanding of the game and the ability to know if a team has earned a high ranking - in theory. Of course both, not unlike the teams' fans, express opinions based in real ignorance of what the other teams have done in games played or an indepth knowledge of each team's potential. Really has anyone actually watched and analyzed all of the so-called top 25's games? It is all opinion that has no meaning. When all of the games are played we will have the correct ranking at th NCAA tourney's completion. Until then all of the opinions are bovine scatology.

Reaction Score
The media are just fans with influence but no real understanding of the game. Coaches do have an understanding of the game and the ability to know if a team has earned a high ranking - in theory. Of course both, not unlike the teams' fans, express opinions based in real ignorance of what the other teams have done in games played or an indepth knowledge of each team's potential. Really has anyone actually watched and analyzed all of the so-called top 25's games? It is all opinion that has no meaning. When all of the games are played we will have the correct ranking at th NCAA tourney's completion. Until then all of the opinions are bovine scatology.
Exactly. The only poll I'm interested in is the one they take after the NC game.

Reaction Score
Here’s my guess. Big-time coaches know the lay of the land. I bet they don’t watch a ton of games all the way through. Just bits and pieces. And they communicate like crazy with other coaches. How many coaches are out there from the Geno tree? They probably talk weekly. Then there’s the friend tree. That tree probably has many branches. Like Staley and Bruno. Then there’s the tree of people that Geno aggravates like Jeff Walz. I bet Geno’s talked to him multiple times. Heck they had a game scheduled.
Long story short coaches know that UConn is young with a huge upside and the young team is learning and isn’t playing tremendously so far. I say # 5 is more than fair.
Do you know how elephants “hear”. They hear low frequency sound waves through their feet. They can “hear” things 6 miles away. My bet is that coaches hear like elephants. They know what’s going on .

Reaction Score
Where's Baylor? They've been killing teams by 90 points.

I actually placed them 10th on my Boneyard Poll, I'm deducting points based on who they have been playing of late.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Much ado about not much. The only poll that matters, other than Anna M., is
Professor Plebe's Boneyard Poll and Snake Oil Elixer.

Cures what ails you!

image.jpeg

Reaction Score
Quick someone hang this up in the locker room. Add some fuel to their fire...

Reaction Score

In this weekend's NCAA football coaches poll, Dabo Swinney ranked Ohio State, who his Clemson team is playing in the national semifinal on January 1, at #11. Shade?

Reaction Score
Where's Baylor? They've been killing teams by 90 points.
They lost to the only good team theyve played. Beating up on Northwest South Dakota State Junior College doesnt really impress people.

Reaction Score
In this weekend's NCAA football coaches poll, Dabo Swinney ranked Ohio State, who his Clemson team is playing in the national semifinal on January 1, at #11. Shade?
More like intentional disrespect. Maybe something to do with only playing 6 games. I can't stand OSU so I hope it doesn't come back to bite him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom