Rankings next week - lots of ranked teams lost.. | The Boneyard

Rankings next week - lots of ranked teams lost..

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Anyone care to make a guess? So hard to tell. In the AP poll...

#4 L'ville lost to UCONN
#7 UCLA lost to #15 Oregon State
#10 Maryland lost to unranked Purdue and Minnesota
#11 Tennessee lost to unranked Alabama and #13 Missouri
#14 Stanford lost to unranked Cal
#17 Duke lost to unranked Syracuse
#18 aTm lost to #2 Miss State
#19 Green Bay lost to unranked Cleveland State
#20 Georgia lost to #8 SC
#21 Oklahoma State lost to #3 Baylor and #6 Texas
#23 Michigan lost to unranked Minnesota (but after beating MD as well I bet they are ranked next week)

Did I miss any? I'm guessing there's some room for USF to move up now as 3 teams in front of them lost, Tenn and Maryland didn't win a game this past week (lost twice) but a grand total of 13 losses by 11 top 25 teams should make for some lively movement, even if it's only 2-3 spots in one direction or another...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Anyone care to make a guess? So hard to tell. In the AP poll...

#4 L'ville lost to UCONN
#7 UCLA lost to #15 Oregon State
#10 Maryland lost to unranked Purdue and Minnesota
#11 Tennessee lost to unranked Alabama and #13 Missouri
#14 Stanford lost to unranked Cal
#17 Duke lost to unranked Syracuse
#18 aTm lost to #2 Miss State
#19 Green Bay lost to unranked Cleveland State
#20 Georgia lost to #8 SC
#21 Oklahoma State lost to #3 Baylor and #6 Texas
#23 Michigan lost to unranked Minnesota (but after beating MD as well I bet they are ranked next week)

Did I miss any? I'm guessing there's some room for USF to move up now as 3 teams in front of them lost, Tenn and Maryland didn't win a game this past week (lost twice) but a grand total of 13 losses by 11 top 25 teams should make for some lively movement, even if it's only 2-3 spots in one direction or another...

Five of the 14 losses were to higher-ranked teams. But still, nine upsets of ranked teams in one week is a lot by WCBB standards (not for MCBB, though).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Five of the 14 losses were to higher-ranked teams. But still, nine upsets of ranked teams in one week is a lot by WCBB standards (not for MCBB, though).

The top 25 poll in MCBB has been a weekly bloodbath since conference season started... except for UVA

Reaction Score
Too bad the UCLA vs Oregon game is being played Monday night, AFTER the rankings are released. BIG game in the
PAC12. If UCLA wins at Oregon, we have a 3-way tie for 1st place (UCLA, Oregon, Stanford). Oregon State one game behind. If Oregon wins, then they have a 1-game lead on Stanford, and 2 game lead on UCLA & Oregon State.

Reaction Score
My attempt to predict the AP Top 25
1. Connecticut
2. Mississippi St
3. Baylor
4. Notre Dame
5. Louisville
6. Texas
7. South Carolina
8. Oregon
9. UCLA
10. Florida St
11. Missouri
12. Oregon St
13. Ohio St
14. Tennessee
15. Maryland
16. Stanford
17. Texas A&M
18. South Florida
19. Duke
20. Belmont
21. North Carolina St
22. Georgia
23. Oklahoma St
24. Green Bay
25. Louisiana St (or Minnesota?)

Out: Michigan

Reaction Score
1. Connecticut
2. Mississippi St
3. Baylor
4. Notre Dame
5. Louisville
6. Texas
7. South Carolina
8. Oregon
9. UCLA
10. Florida St
11. Missouri
12. Oregon St
13. Ohio St
14. Tennessee
15. Maryland
16. Stanford
17. Texas A&M
18. South Florida
19. Duke
20. Belmont
21. North Carolina St
22. Georgia
23. Oklahoma St
24. Green Bay

Louisville is not playing good ball right now.

Reaction Score
Louisville is not playing good ball right now.

An 11 point loss to Connecticut isn’t exactly devastating, but I did drop them one spot.

Reaction Score
An 11 point loss to Connecticut isn’t exactly devastating, but I did drop them one spot.
Wasn’t the 11 point loss they were very happy with that it was the poor play verse BC and N.C. on the road.
They seem tired and hitting a wall.
Durr missed the 4th quarter with an ankle sprain today in NC
NC was without two best players all year long. The freshman post Bailey is a keeper

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wasn’t the 11 point loss they were very happy with that it was the poor play verse BC and N.C. on the road.
NC was without two best players all year long. The freshman post Bailey is a keeper

I saw the highlights on the local news..... showed that Durr hit the 3pt basket to put them ahead in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
I saw the highlights on the local news..... showed that Durr hit the 3pt basket to put them ahead in the 4th quarter.
Good correction. Durr hit two three’s early in the 4th and left with 8:21 on the clock after putting the Cards up

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I would say 2nd and 3rd best players (Watts and Walker).... I still say Paris Kea is their top player. Bailey will be the ACC rookie of the year..... they could compete for a NCAA berth next season.... as much as that pains me to say.

Reaction Score
I would say 2nd and 3rd best players (Watts and Walker).... I still say Paris Kea is their top player. Bailey will be the ACC rookie of the year..... they could compete for a NCAA berth next season.... as much as that pains me to say.
Is Paris Kea a transfer from Vandy?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is Paris Kea a transfer from Vandy?

Yep..... from my neck of the woods. She's a redshirt-junior.... I assume she's coming back next season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
1. Connecticut
2. Mississippi St
3. Baylor
4. Notre Dame
5. Louisville
6. Texas
7. South Carolina
8. Oregon
9. UCLA
10. Florida St
11. Missouri
12. Oregon St
13. Ohio St
14. Tennessee
15. Maryland
16. Stanford
17. Texas A&M
18. South Florida
19. Duke
20. Belmont
21. North Carolina St
22. Georgia
23. Oklahoma St
24. Green Bay

Nice work. I think you’re being a little generous to Maryland and Tennessee...really not good weeks for them.

The top 4 look pretty stable (for now), Louisville is shaky but still in the hunt for a 1 seed. Texas needs to beat Baylor once (or twice) to have a shot, and I don’t think Oregon, UCLA or South Carolina have a realistic shot at this point unless Notre Dame or Baylor implodes.

Side note—Stanford has quietly turned into a very good team. Despite the loss to Cal, they appear to be an incredibly dangerous 3 or 4 seed waiting in the wings. I wouldn’t want them in my bracket if I’m a 1 or 2 seed.

Reaction Score
Tennessee had a bad week, but Maryland had a worse week.

Just for the record, there is no Tennessee-Connecticut rivalry to revive. Tennessee is just one more above average program out of lots of them. No one cares about the two schools playing each other. Connecticut is the nation's premier basketball program, with the nation's finest coach, while Tennessee is just some also-ran somewhere in the hinterlands that underperforms year after year.

If anyone at Tennessee is thinking that there is some equivalence between the programs, they're on drugs....

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

20. Belmont

What has Belmont done to deserve a ranking at all, much less #20?

Massey has them at #51, which sounds about right.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Well, don't we regularly hear about how biased the rankings are against the mid-majors? Perhaps this was done to assuage the complaints :)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I occasionally hear that the human polls overlook the mid-majors, but I can't think of any reason why the computer polls would have such a bias.

Jim

Reaction Score
I occasionally hear that the human polls overlook the mid-majors, but I can't think of any reason why the computer polls would have such a bias.
Humans programmed the computer. The code reflects the programmer's bias.

Reaction Score
About this time every year, I forget that I felt this way every year previously. Heck, two years ago, I even worried about Syracuse in the NC game.

But I do feel that the top teams are pretty packed in. Maybe Louisville is showing a little sign of weakness, but really, UConn will have its hands full with them, Baylor, MissState, ND. Right now, if all plays out, UConn would have to play 2 of those 4 in Columbus. Of course, it rarely plays out that all 4 #1 seeds get to the finals, but you never know in which bracket there will be the upset.

Reaction Score

I’m just predicting the AP Top 25, which is what a media panel of 32(?) collectively decide. No personal bias used (other than giving a shoutout to Minnesota at #25).

Belmont was ranked #24 last week and unlike many teams ranked past the Top 13, they are at least winning the games they are supposed to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom