Ranking the past 10 years by how I felt going in- and this one | The Boneyard

Ranking the past 10 years by how I felt going in- and this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Tough to do in retrospect, but here is how I'm pretty sure I felt heading into each season (irrespective of what actually happened). This is in descending order of confidence:

2010- Obviously, losing Rene was going to be something the team had to get past, but you had Maya in her junior year after sweeping NPOY honors as a soph, and Tina looking fiercely dominant by the end of 2009. This felt like a repeat title, and it certainly ended up being one.

2004- Returning everyone from a national championship run tends to make you feel pretty good. Not having the Maya/Tina-type pair of aces, as well as number of close games that could have gone the other way in 2002-03, were the only reasons for any doubt at all.

2009- The team wasn't quite good enough without Kalana or Mel the previous season. There were a lot of pieces there, but the question was whether everything would come together. Still, there seemed to so many pieces, with a good mixture of youth and experience, that you felt like the team certainly had a chance to be special. (btw, this is post-EDD departure)

2011- Tina was gone, Kalana was gone, but you still had one of all-time greats in Maya Moore, and as long as you had her, you were going to contend.

2008- I was pretty excited about this team. Returned the key pieces of a team that made the Elite Eight the year before, plus added a game-changer in Maya Moore. Wasn't sure whether this team was going to win it all, but I did firmly believe they were headed for the Final Four.

2012- I figured this team to be a top six kind of squad heading into the season. A ton of question marks, but a ton of potential as well.

2005- Seemed like a pretty damn good team on paper if someone could step up and fill at least some of the leadership void resulting from Diana's and Maria's departures. Plus by that point, I figured Geno was a magician who could send any team to the Final Four.

2006- After a disastrous 2004-05 campaign by UConn standards, I was prepared for pretty much anything this season.

2007- Wasn't super optimistic. Team had nearly made the Final Four the previous year, but had graduated a bunch of experienced kids, and it seemed like the strength of the team was going to be underclassmen.

2003- Hey, I wasn't the only one. I knew D was a special player, but you can't lose four seniors who composed 2/3 of the top six WNBA draft picks and expect to seriously contend for anything meaningful, right? I mean, just look at the PG situation- going from Sue Bird to Maria Conlon????

So, here's the magic question- where would I rank this 2012-13 in terms of preseason confidence? Well, I'd say slightly above 2009. Seriously. Now, I didn't predict 39-0 with no team coming within single-digits of the Huskies, so this isn't to say that I believe this team is going to better than 2009. Just saying that right now, I feel better about ths squad than I did at this same point in 2008. The incoming class is sick. Kelly and Bria can be at least Kalana and Rene, respectively. Tina certainly had a ton of potential, but Stef, though not as athletic, can absolutely be a really, really good center this season. Maya the frosh may have been better than KML the frosh, but KML is still a monster. The bench is deeper. You could have any of the 11 kids on the floor at any point and have me excited. We're talking about returning the core of a team that made the Final Four despite some of its very best players being underclassmen AND adding what seems like an historically great recruiting class.

So basically, the only times the previous 10 seasons that I have been more confident about a team heading into the season was when UConn was returning the core of a team that had won the NC the previous year. That is all.

Reaction Score
I thought UConn would go undefeated in 2009.

I, too, had doubts about the 2003 team; Had absolutely no doubts the following year.

Last year's team was better than I had expected. Either that or the other teams were not as good as expected.

The 2005 team needed a confident point guard.

The 2006 team exceeded expectations.

The 2007 team just did not match up well with LSU.

Stanford caught UConn on a bad night in 2008. Plus, Wiggins caught fire during the tournament.

I will not know what to make of this year's team until after they have played Stanford and Baylor.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If this team is undefeated on January 1, 2013, they will be as good as I think they are. Means UConn will be 4-0 against A&M, Maryland, Penn State, and Stanford. Regardless of the result of the 2/18 Baylor game, I'll feel like they're indeed NC-caliber. The presence of Baylor, a returning undefeated champion who isn't UConn, is a unique situation.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't know why I'm so optimistic this season, being naturally careful, but I think that if Geno and the staff do their magic, this group can (should) be a juggernaut. I can't remember having such hig expectations, though I do remember some of the same feelimg pre-EDD departure.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Tough to do in retrospect, but here is how I'm pretty sure I felt heading into each season (irrespective of what actually happened). This is in descending order of confidence:

2010- Obviously, losing Rene was going to be something the team had to get past, but you had Maya in her junior year after sweeping NPOY honors as a soph, and Tina looking fiercely dominant by the end of 2009. This felt like a repeat title, and it certainly ended up being one.

2004- Returning everyone from a national championship run tends to make you feel pretty good. Not having the Maya/Tina-type pair of aces, as well as number of close games that could have gone the other way in 2002-03, were the only reasons for any doubt at all.

2009- The team wasn't quite good enough without Kalana or Mel the previous season. There were a lot of pieces there, but the question was whether everything would come together. Still, there seemed to so many pieces, with a good mixture of youth and experience, that you felt like the team certainly had a chance to be special. (btw, this is post-EDD departure)

2011- Tina was gone, Kalana was gone, but you still had one of all-time greats in Maya Moore, and as long as you had her, you were going to contend.

2008- I was pretty excited about this team. Returned the key pieces of a team that made the Elite Eight the year before, plus added a game-changer in Maya Moore. Wasn't sure whether this team was going to win it all, but I did firmly believe they were headed for the Final Four.

2012- I figured this team to be a top six kind of squad heading into the season. A ton of question marks, but a ton of potential as well.

2005- Seemed like a pretty damn good team on paper if someone could step up and fill at least some of the leadership void resulting from Diana's and Maria's departures. Plus by that point, I figured Geno was a magician who could send any team to the Final Four.

2006- After a disastrous 2004-05 campaign by UConn standards, I was prepared for pretty much anything this season.

2007- Wasn't super optimistic. Team had nearly made the Final Four the previous year, but had graduated a bunch of experienced kids, and it seemed like the strength of the team was going to be underclassmen.

2003- Hey, I wasn't the only one. I knew D was a special player, but you can't lose four seniors who composed 2/3 of the top six WNBA draft picks and expect to seriously contend for anything meaningful, right? I mean, just look at the PG situation- going from Sue Bird to Maria Conlon????

So, here's the magic question- where would I rank this 2012-13 in terms of preseason confidence? Well, I'd say slightly above 2009. Seriously. Now, I didn't predict 39-0 with no team coming within single-digits of the Huskies, so this isn't to say that I believe this team is going to better than 2009. Just saying that right now, I feel better about ths squad than I did at this same point in 2008. The incoming class is sick. Kelly and Bria can be at least Kalana and Rene, respectively. Tina certainly had a ton of potential, but Stef, though not as athletic, can absolutely be a really, really good center this season. Maya the frosh may have been better than KML the frosh, but KML is still a monster. The bench is deeper. You could have any of the 11 kids on the floor at any point and have me excited. We're talking about returning the core of a team that made the Final Four despite some of its very best players being underclassmen AND adding what seems like an historically great recruiting class.

So basically, the only times the previous 10 seasons that I have been more confident about a team heading into the season was when UConn was returning the core of a team that had won the NC the previous year. That is all.

The depth of this years team is unprecedented in UConn's history.

Whomever Geno starts -- the six kids left on the bench could realistically make a final four team.

Assuming Geno starts the veterans (Stef, Kelly, KML, Bria and CD), we have left on the bench: 2 very good centers (Stokes and Buck); an amazing strong forward (Stewie); a superb wing/forward (Morgan Tuck); a very athletic shooting guard (BB); and the fastest/quickest point guard in Husky History (MoJeff). On any given day, this young team might well beat the the starting five.

I really believe that Geno could run this year's team much like his Olympic squad -- where Team A and Team B have very nearly equal strength.

Remember that Stewart has been the best player on all three USA Teams she has recently been a part of. Morgan Tuck was a Captain and super-star on her USA Team -- sharing the points and rebounds leads with Stewie in most of their games. These two are heading for All-American honors and banners on the Gampel Wall. I expect Stokes and Buck to have really good years this season. And CD (the elder) has recently been raving about the growth that Banks has been showing over the summer.

I can't wait to see our 2012-13 Team on the floor. Whether the subs come in as a five player wave, or mixed with the Veterans ----- there are going to be great plays on the court, and big smiles on the faces of all UConn fans.

"PLAY BALL" !!!!!!!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Whomever Geno starts -- the six kids left on the bench could realistically make a final four team.

Assuming Geno starts the veterans (Stef, Kelly, KML, Bria and CD), we have left on the bench: 2 very good centers (Stokes and Buck); an amazing strong forward (Stewie); a superb wing/forward (Morgan Tuck); a very athletic shooting guard (BB); and the fastest/quickest point guard in Husky History (MoJeff). On any given day, this young team might well beat the the starting five.

I really believe that Geno could run this year's team much like his Olympic squad -- where Team A and Team B have very nearly equal strength.

Remember that Stewart has been the best player on all three USA Teams she has recently been a part of. Morgan Tuck was a Captain and super-star on her USA Team -- sharing the points and rebounds leads with Stewie in most of their games. These two are heading for All-American honors and banners on the Gampel Wall. I expect Stokes and Buck to have really good years this season. And CD (the elder) has recently been raving about the growth that Banks has been showing over the summer.

I can't wait to see our 2012-13 Team on the floor. Whether the subs come in as a five player wave, or mixed with the Veterans ----- there are going to be great plays on the court, and big smiles on the faces of all UConn fans.

"PLAY BALL" !!!!!!!!!

Coach, it's hard to find a weakness on this team.

If you name every aspect you can think of for a team to be analyized on, they meet or exceed anything a fan could ask for.

They have depth at both the guards and post.

They had senior leadership.

They have AA's.

They have 3 point shooters.

They have shot blockers.

They shoot FT's well (based on historical data).

They have size.

They have speed.

They can pass.

They can press.

They can zone.

I just can't think of anything they won't be exceptional at.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I don't follow a ton of women's bball, but I know a good team when I see it. This team will finish the season on at least a 6 game winning streak.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

"PLAY BALL" !!!!!!!!!

While I share your optimism for this season, it would be hard to beat the 2001 team for depth. There were at least ten players who were drafted and/or played for the WNBA (Ralph could not play because of injuries). Five of those ten were Olympians. Two of those five, or 40% of a starting unit, are considered now the very best at what they do.

To match that at least two out of Doty, Buck and Banks will have to become WNBA caliber in addition to everyone else on the team.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I am predicting a National Championship for this year's team. That's right...I am saying no repeat for Griner. She will be awesome this year but no repeat. Sims will be contained...Nene and crew will not be able to overcome...the size, athleticism and teamwork of UConn. I have always been cautiously optimistic but, this year I have a feeling...I am throwing caution to wind and I am all in on a national championship. The championship game between Baylor and UConn will be a barnstormer for the ages and will set the stage for a three-peat... Just my opinion slam away....

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The championship game between Baylor and UConn will be a barnstormer for the ages and will set the stage for a three-peat... Just my opinion slam away....

Let me say that anyone that slams you would be way off base. It's clear how talented this team is. And while they play a tough schedule, they are much more talented, 1-11, than anyone else. Even Baylor.

Griner is a difference maker. But I also believe this team will beat them in the final game.

And just a 3-peat? Are you saying that a team with the seniors Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson along with the Junior Ekmark along with whoever they end up with in 2013, 14 and also 15, won't win it all?

It's time for us to embrace our inner Tony. 4 undefeated seasons. up to and 160 and OH (depending on how many games a year on the schedule)!!!!

Reaction Score
ALEX: Your usual great stuff. Good work and interesting. I'd like to contribute, but as far as my thinking back over all those years and ranking things.....well, I did have my usual raw oats for breakfast, that much I can tell you. ;)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...they are much more talented, 1-11, than anyone else. Even Baylor...

It's time for us to embrace our inner Tony... !!!
Amen 2.jpg

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Last year's team was better than I had expected. Either that or the other teams were not as good as expected.

I do not see this as an "either/or." I think both statements are true.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Cam, what are your thoughts regarding the level of the other teams this coming season?

A few random thoughts:
-UConn and Baylor are at the top (the elite of the elite).
- Duke, Maryland, and Kentucky are elite teams, but just behind UConn and Baylor.
- Louisville and Penn State could potentially be elite teams.
- I do not see Stanford or Rutgers as elite teams. Likely very good teams, but not elite teams.
- Kansas is an extremely intriguing team.
- Wild card teams are Tennessee, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, and UCLA.

Reaction Score
If this team is undefeated on January 1, 2013, they will be as good as I think they are. Means UConn will be 4-0 against A&M, Maryland, Penn State, and Stanford. Regardless of the result of the 2/18 Baylor game, I'll feel like they're indeed NC-caliber. The presence of Baylor, a returning undefeated champion who isn't UConn, is a unique situation.

It has only happened one other time in the Auriemma era.

Reaction Score

As Diggerfoot mentioned, the 2001 team was incredibly deep.
The 2008 team was also incredibly deep. Both teams lost two starters to injury which enabled a transcendent freshman to join the starting lineup.

Admittedly, I am partial to the 2008 team. My favorite UConn WBB season; The emergence of Maya, the Paradise Jam, three classic games against Rutgers, a fantastic game against North Carolina, a classic nailbiter against LSU, an unexpected nailbiter against DePaul, the heartbreaking loss to Stanford which has fueled a nice rivalry. Not nearly as much drama since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom