Ranking the newcomers | The Boneyard

Ranking the newcomers

Reaction Score
Watched the game yesterday and all of the players looked so unfamiliar. I admit I was lost with all the new faces. Would like to know from those who have seen all 2+ games how you would rank (most to least) the newcomers in terms of expected contributions and skills. I only know two (of course):

1. Gilbert
2. Larrier
3-10 ??

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
1. Gilbert
2. Larrier
3. Mamadou
4. Cobb
5. Carlton
6. Polley
7. Anderson
8. Kwint
9. Whaley
10. Big Dave (Only because I have no idea where to put him)

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
1. Gilbert
2. Larrier
3. Mamadou
4. Cobb
5. Carlton
6. Polley
7. Anderson
8. Kwint
9. Whaley
10. Big Dave (Only because I have no idea where to put him)
Whaley has got to be ahead of Kwintin. I'm sorry, Kwintin looks like he has absolutely no clue what planet he's on out there.
Someday, maybe, he could develop into a good rebounder/finisher.

Reaction Score
Whaley has got to be ahead of Kwintin. I'm sorry, Kwintin looks like he has absolutely no clue what planet he's on out there.
Someday, maybe, he could develop into a good rebounder/finisher.

No doubt on Whaley and I expect him to move up the list as the year evolves.

As far as Williams he still has too much playground in his game but there are some decent things too. I mean he can throw an outlet pass in a couple ways - baseball throw once and another long hard chest pass, this is something our bigs for the past 4 years never did. He also is okay around the hoop and does like to bounce people around, he plays physical. There's something there to work with but a long way to go as you say, no doubt. Like the kid though.

Wordbomar

Reaction Score
Not saying Kwint is extremely talented, but I'm just not sold on Whaley yet.

Reaction Score

If they are to trap Whaley will be a huge impact on that end too. Long, fast feet, very athletic, tough to throw over and can guard up the floor as well as get back fast. Can't trap much with the likes of a Diarra/Cobb or Carlton/Diarra as you can with Whaley and even Polly/Larrier.

I think you will be sold on him at some point this year just not sure when.

Wordbomar

Reaction Score
If they are to trap Whaley will be a huge impact on that end too. Long, fast feet, very athletic, tough to throw over and can guard up the floor as well as get back fast. Can't trap much with the likes of a Diarra/Cobb or Carlton/Diarra as you can with Whaley and even Polly/Larrier.

I think you will be sold on him at some point this year just not sure when.

Respect your opinion Mau and I hope you are right. But I've seen a very athletic big that has played against inferior comp, allowing his athletisicm and length to give him even more of an advantage (As this is definitely his strength). I just don't see him having any other tools that will help him that some of our other bigs do. Not an exceptional shooter, passer, no skilled big man moves, not a high motor offensive rebounder.

I hope I'm dead wrong cuz you are correct in that he can help in trapping situations with his athleticism and quick feet.

Reaction Score
Our walk-ons would get a lot of PT for Queens. We'll know so much more about this team 4 weeks from now that ranking them past Gilbert/Larrier is kind of pointless, so here's my depth chart FWIW (in no particular order)

First Five
Adams
Gilbert
Larrier
Diarra
Cobb

Next Five
Vital
Anderson
Polley
Whaley
Carlton

Practice Players
David O (here due to injury)
Williams (has a 22+/- year old ever been redshirted?)
Wilson

Reaction Score
it’s going to Just a few weeks that we can teally rank them but so far all we have is the Providence game. The clips looked like high school vs jv as far as teams size and strength, not a good sample to judge against.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think Kwintin has a lot of raw talent. He has all the tools to become a high-end player, but I think his issue is between the ears, which one would expect to be much better than it currently is, considering he's 23 years old.
I'm not sold on Whaley either, but he seems to have a much better understanding of the game than Kwintin.

Reaction Score
Kwintin goes after it. High motor and enthusiasm as well as relentless. Obviously athletic, but the basketball acumen is suspect. Will likely become more suspect with real opposition. Can he be taught? Doesn't seem to lack the ambition. We shall see. If he can be corralled, may be fruitful as another foul body to inject some energy in the post.

Curious to as why we've seen such little Diarra. Seems to play well when in.

Reaction Score
Curious to as why we've seen such little Diarra. Seems to play well when in.
Someone said Ollie already said he's starting. Against Providence he was in foul trouble, so the decision was made for Ollie anyway. His knee injury that kept him out last year was from overuse, so giving him a ton of minutes in exhibition games could do more harm than good.

Diarra will get a lot more minutes when the games count.

Reaction Score
Anyone else impressed with Anderson's on ball defense? He is very aggressive and his pressure constant. i know it is early but his effort on defense sticks out for me on this team. Will be interesting to see if his role can grow to where he can be put on a top guard and slow him down for the good guys.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Too early to know which players will rise above the rest but loved the way Polley was utilized to break the press. Big upgrade over Kentan because Polley has a decent handle. Just learn to pull up when near the basket and kid could be special. He anticipates passes and could get decent steal numbers.

My wife saw a pass to Carlton and exclaimed he has terrific hands. I was impressed with her as much as Carlton. It's been a while since we've had a big with the ability to catch well. And he holds his hands above his head when he has the ball. Kid could be a beast if he get's stronger.

Anderson is a blue collar player. Love those guys. We'll see what he can give with better competition but he and Vital are JC blue collar type guys.

Cobb can box out and if the ball bounces off the rim near him he's much better than Brimah at getting a rebound. But he appears tethered to the ground. He could become a really good playmaker on the offensive end but for every good play he makes he then makes a really boneheaded play. Still Kentan, Brimah and Steve gave next to nothing with passing.

I haven't seen Mountain Dew play because had trouble with feed. Liked Whaley in the few minutes I saw him. Kid knows how to play so is not starting off raw. But it remains to be seen if he is skilled or athletic enough to be a factor against better competition. Love the energy of Kwintin. He is Kentan 2.0 without a mid range shot. His energy and heart are there. If he figures out the game I think he and Polley can be excellent players to run a full court press. But that's a big if.

I'm both reserved and excited about the team. They haven't played together for a long time and will need time to become familiar with each other. That could make for a long season. On the other hand I think this group gets along well with each other and I can already see some playmaking potential between the newcomers.

Reaction Score
Anyone else impressed with Anderson's on ball defense? He is very aggressive and his pressure constant. i know it is early but his effort on defense sticks out for me on this team. Will be interesting to see if his role can grow to where he can be put on a top guard and slow him down for the good guys.
Very impressive against Providence especially. Several times Ashton Langford just gave the ball up because he couldn't deal with the pressure that Anderson was putting on him. He was unable to facilitate.

Reaction Score
After AG and TL, I think Anderson will make the greatest contribution of all the new faces this year. JMO.

Reaction Score
After AG and TL, I think Anderson will make the greatest contribution of all the new faces this year. JMO.

Here's hoping you're wrong. With Jalen, Vital and AG if he comes right we're ok in the backcourt, but if our fourth guard is making a bigger contribution than any of the new faces at the 5 we may be in for a really long season.

Reaction Score
1. Alterique Gilbert
1. Terry Larrier
2. Mamadou Diarra: Strong. Very Quick jumper. Will be a good big defender if he can stay out of foul trouble. Should be great on glass and good in transition.
3. Eric Cobb. Another wide strong body. Possess good post moves and ability to pass and even dribble in transition. Not going to block a lot of shots and may need to work on staying out of foul trouble.
4. Tyler Polley: Has the most potential of the rest. Think he can be a point forward. Great in transition. Good passer. Needs to let game come to him. Hasn't shown great outside game yet. But long arms for defense help.
5. Antwoine Anderson: Great role player in my mind. Best strength is to harass point guards. He knows his role on the team. As long as he doesn't over play and give up drives by reaching in or get himself into foul trouble. He could make it a long night for PG's and wear them out quick. Has shown a decent outside jumper although I think his role only should call on 2 or 3 per game.
6. Josh Carlton: Has scored some points but looks raw to me. Long arms and height have helped him in games against lesser comp. He needs to add weight. He will be best served with a limited role where he is called on to affect shots, rebound, and set screens.
7. Isaiah Whaley: Their have been bright spots for sure. High flying dunks. Good in transition. His defense is good on the perimeter against 3's and slashing 4's. But when I saw the post move turn around jumper I realized his offensive game is probably very limited.
8. Kwintin Williams: Stronger than whaley and a high flyer. But I don't think he possess the wherewithal. Can't see him doing more than having a minute role as a rebounder and lob man.
9. David Onuorah: Did not play. Early reports are that a small role off the bench is about it.

Reaction Score
In person Carlton appeared to be one of our largest players, did not seem to be thin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom