Ranking The AAC Head Coaches 1-12 (Athlon) | The Boneyard

Ranking The AAC Head Coaches 1-12 (Athlon)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

12. Randy Edsall, UConn
uconn-logo.png
The Huskies have struggled in Edsall’s second act in Storrs. UConn is only 4-20 over the last two years and a deeper look at the team’s performance in 2018 shows just how far this program needs to come to be competitive in the AAC. The Huskies surrendered 50.4 points and 617.4 yards a game – both records at the FBS level – and averaged only 22.2 points a game. Edsall and his staff are building with youth, so there could be some noticeable progress by the end of 2019. While progress has been hard to find in Edsall’s second stint, he previously went 74-70 with the program from 1999-2010 and 22-34 at Maryland from 2011-15.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For head coaches with 100 FBS wins Edsall must be very close to worst career winning pct.

Reaction Score
This doesn’t mean much to me. We all know how he does things. If he’s going to succeed it is going to be a slow and methodical climb. Maybe I’m just encouraged by the 4 recruits in the last few days, but I’m not so sure Randy won’t get the job done. I’m skeptical, but I’m still feeling patient. If I hadn’t seen him do things this way in the past, I’d be more concerned.

Reaction Score
I dunno - one way you stop being a laughingstock is to stop dressing like one. I will be glad to see the XFL uni's retired, permanently

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing though this is a massive rebuild. We started more true freshmen last year than any other 2 teams. Diaco was a horrible talent evaluator and it showed. Ed’s all is good at evaluating and equally important he can coach raw talent up. But neither of those are the thing that will get you turned around over night. As far as his career, not sure how you can even say with a straight face that his first 3 years can count. But once it got headed right his teams were generally very competitive. Really the same at Maryland. He cleaned house but then had them wing games again. Feinstein hated him and the Big move was a step up from the ACC but he had them moving in the right direction

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing though this is a massive rebuild. We started more true freshmen last year than any other 2 teams. Diaco was a horrible talent evaluator and it showed. Ed’s all is good at evaluating and equally important he can coach raw talent up. But neither of those are the thing that will get you turned around over night. As far as his career, not sure how you can even say with a straight face that his first 3 years can count. But once it got headed right his teams were generally very competitive. Really the same at Maryland. He cleaned house but then had them wing games again. Feinstein hated him and the Big move was a step up from the ACC but he had them moving in the right direction

Nothing to do with being 2-4 in year 5 with the terps. and losing to Bowling Green 48-27, WV 45-6, Michigan 28-0 and OSU 49-28. That was with HCREDreamJob1.0's "boys" playing. Maybe it wasn't a hateful Feinstein but rather HCREDreamJob1.0 didn't maintain good coaching eye discipline and failed to execute a 5 year program building plan with all the advantages of a P5 program?

Reaction Score
Edsall was a total disaster at Maryland. He literally peaked in his first game when they beat Miami on Labor Day.
Edsall is Glen Mason, Al Groh etc. Good coaches, but they have expiration dates at schools that aspire to challenge the heavyweights of their conferences. He was meant to coach at a place like UConn where expectations are much more tempered.

Reaction Score
Edsall is Glen Mason, Al Groh etc. Good coaches, but they have expiration dates at schools that aspire to challenge the heavyweights of their conferences. He was meant to coach at a place like UConn where expectations are much more tempered.
Not for nothing but that’s like 95% if coaches. The rest are like Dabo or like Diaco. And there are a few who are highly thought of but never actually deliver. The guy at USF comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but that’s like 95% if coaches. The rest are like Dabo or like Diaco. And there are a few who are highly thought of but never actually deliver. The guy at USF comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Yeah. They all get fired at most places. Edsall could have stayed at uconn forever with the results he was bringing in, but most places will fire you eventually for 5-7, to 8-4, records.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Edsall was a total disaster at Maryland. He literally peaked in his first game when they beat Miami on Labor Day.
I still think his career at Maryland would have been much different if he didn’t have such bad luck with QB injuries. When they were healthy, the offense was actually fun to watch. By the time he had healthy qbs, he seemed to have lost momentum.

Reaction Score

These names get people like BusinessLawyer excited. Mediocre, incremental, low risk, lower reward. What’s not to like?

I still say Edsall was the best we could have done given what was left in the smoldering ruins.

Reaction Score
These names get people like BusinessLawyer excited. Mediocre, incremental, low risk, lower reward. What’s not to like?

I still say Edsall was the best we could have done given what was left in the smoldering ruins.
They're decent coaches. P5 schools are paying what these days close to 3 million? You're not going to make that in perpetuity without exciting the fan base with like an 11-2, top ten year every once in a while. UConn alum Kirk Ferenz manages to deliver on these and stays employed.

A coach has to get or keep fans in the seats and that only comes with the excitement of winning at a high level.

Reaction Score
They're decent coaches. P5 schools are paying what these days close to 3 million? You're not going to make that in perpetuity without exciting the fan base with like an 11-2, top ten year every once in a while. UConn alum Kirk Ferenz manages to deliver on these and stays employed.

A coach has to get or keep fans in the seats and that only comes with the excitement of winning at a high level.

I think they are boring coaches who really don’t deliver, but they won’t embarass you. Unless you find boring to be embarrassing,

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I think they are boring coaches who really don’t deliver, but they won’t embarass you. Unless you find boring to be embarrassing,
We were both last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom