OT: - Ranking Holidays | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Ranking Holidays

Reaction Score
Off topic but what’s the best holiday to host at your house? Aside from never hosting.

Holidays were for family. We had a very large pond behind our house so we had a skating party, of course it snowed hard all day so we asked so e people to bring shovels. Had a grand time and more left shovels to last a lifetime.

Christmas Eve had a party for family and a few close friends.

Reaction Score
Only sickening individuals don't like turkey or Thanksgiving. I mean real sick. Like, they should be rounded up sick.
Well I mean there is the history behind it....kind of like how no one really celebrates Colombus day anymore (3 day weekend is nice though). HOWEVER if you focus just on the fact that family gathers in one place for one day full of crazy amounts of food and make it a day just about that, yes, it is nice. I won't celebrate it for historical reasons, the reasons to enjoy the day are just family ones and the fact it is a day that hasn't been commercialized is a bonus. Again, in that case it is for sure a fun day with lots of beer.

[2839"]Cinco De Mayo is not a holiday[/QUOTE]

No it is not and it is not celebrated in Mexico either.

I like some of the holidays from other countries like dragon boat festival and spring festival in China. Also, Chinese new year in China is an absolute s***show, mostly in a good way and so different from outside China. Day of the dead in Mexico is really interesting and likely not what most people envision. holy week, especially in Colombia, an entire week off in late March or early April...colombia has something like the 2nd most holidays in the world and it was nice to get so many three day weekends. music day in france is likely seen as a holiday at this point is an absolute blast the first day of summer and I know there was one or two cool ones I celebrated in Guatemala.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well I mean there is the history behind it....kind of like how no one really celebrates Colombus day anymore (3 day weekend is nice though). HOWEVER if you focus just on the fact that family gathers in one place for one day full of crazy amounts of food and make it a day just about that, yes, it is nice. I won't celebrate it for historical reasons, the reasons to enjoy the day are just family ones and the fact it is a day that hasn't been commercialized is a bonus. Again, in that case it is for sure a fun day with lots of beer.

Cinco De Mayo is not a holiday

No it is not and it is not celebrated in Mexico either.

I like some of the holidays from other countries like dragon boat festival and spring festival in China. Also, Chinese new year in China is an absolute s***show, mostly in a good way and so different from outside China. Day of the dead in Mexico is really interesting and likely not what most people envision. holy week, especially in Colombia, an entire week off in late March or early April...colombia has something like the 2nd most holidays in the world and it was nice to get so many three day weekends. music day in france is likely seen as a holiday at this point is an absolute blast the first day of summer and I know there was one or two cool ones I celebrated in Guatemala.

Some people just don't care that much for turkey. Or stuffing. Although just now during the Pitt/UVA game, they played a new Arby's commercial for their deep fried turkey sandwich. I wonder if the deep fried/Arby's angle may get ADub to bite.

Cinco de Mayo is a holiday - in the state of Puebla and pretty much nowhere else. In other words, it's basically Patriot's Day in Mexico (not sure if they run a marathon that day). In the US, Cinco de Mayo is completely a creation of Corona beer marketing.

Day of the Dead is fascinating, but will never fly here. We hold cemetaries too sacred to go in and party in them.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Cinco De Mayo is not a holiday and gets lumped in with the other Days of Interest. It's not as if Mexican food, tequila, or May weather is restricted to only May 5th.

That said, I did discover my Summertime '18 drink this year on 5-5, so it commemorates something.
What was the drink of the summer?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What was the drink of the summer?
Tequila and peach ice tea over ice.

Raspberry works too.

Reaction Score
Since I live in The Netherlands, my favorite is kings day. Taxation is suspended for one day and the whole city gets toasted.

Reaction Score
4th of July.

I usually have a large part of the week off. I get spend it with the family and friends who I want to spend it with versus being forced to see people I can't stand (I have an uncle that I swear I am going to rearrange his face if he tells me one more time that Sandy Hook was fake). The daylight hours are spent on the lake with my kids on the lake (fishing, boating, jet skies, etc.) with a few breaks to grill something-up and eat. At night, I get to sit back and enjoy a few cold ones as I admire the volume of ordnance I can blow-up in 30 minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom