Ranking college basketball's 10 best jobs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ranking college basketball's 10 best jobs

Reaction Score
unfortunately generating pennies from your tv deal (and the future deal looks bleak) means this job is no where near a top 5 job unless uconn finally gets into a power conference.

get method man GIF
I used to think that you were funny and creative, but you’ve sort of been really stretching it lately to a degree where it’s become sort of lame.

Just being honest. You used to make me laugh, but lately you’ve been getting the eye roll.

You’re trying too hard.

Reaction Score
unfortunately generating pennies from your tv deal (and the future deal looks bleak) means this job is no where near a top 5 job unless uconn finally gets into a power conference.

get method man GIF
Correct....I mean Cincinati is clearly a better job. You got us there. What a moron you are.

Reaction Score
Remind me why Louisville

get method man GIF
Is Cronin still the Cincy coach? Very confused by your avatar (with an obvious phallic symbol in Cronin's mouth)...do you still dream about cre**ng on Mick and him coaching Cincy?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

get method man GIF
Yeah, our current conference situation will make it difficult to maintain a spot in the top five for men's basketball head coaching jobs. Fortunately for U Cincinnati, remaining at 117 or so won't be a difficult task.

Reaction Score

get method man GIF
In your world

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I mean, maybe "high potential" given the program's (semi-recent) history, but KO left an absolute mess.

We were in the bottom half of D1 (not power conferences, all of D1) in KenPom and so traumatized that fans continue this many years later to use excessive hyperbole when to recall the horror of the most troublesome feelings.
FIFY
There was Kwintin Williams, and there were shocking beat downs (Arkansas, anyone?) but it's enough to refute that things weren't in great shape, and more importantly take note that hot takes, click bait podcast titles, and bitchy tweets will continue to be featured specials on the media menu. No need to order them like a daily special.

Reaction Score
Hurley has been the perfect hire on so many levels, evolving with the success of the program. He embodies much of what Calhoun was, but with a next gen spin. He’s a high EQ guy, with a fiery and colorful persona. Not only has he built a winning system, but his ability to market and brand in an NIL era are unmatched. He gets it, and his animation and pride is contagious, illimunating a fanbase that was in hibernation. To top it off, he’s also becoming an ambassador for BE as a conference. As great as JC was, he wasn’t that, so important in this world of social media. When he calls the fanbase a cult, it’s because he’s the cult leader. Between leveraging analytics, the marketing and building his winning culture, I see him on track to being a HOF coach and then some. This has been a perfect marriage, a platform for a guy with a chip on his shoulder, and some vulnerability, to take advantage of his roots and talent at the highest level. So much of this current perception is based on what his success.

He just needs to figure out how to win the close ones ;).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What's really a "best job"? It is the salary? Is it the financial wherewithall? Is it a supportive administration? Is it boosters that stay behind the scenes?

To me, Hurley may already have the best job. Maybe Hubie Davis too. You just don't hear of a lot of boosters and outsiders trying to ply their influence over either UConn or UNC. Not sure about Duke as Scheyer is replacing a legend, but I don't think K had to deal with a ton of crap - he pretty much did things his way. UK, Louisville, even KU seem to be more a morass of slimy folks on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
The author probably meant, title wise, with 4, Hurley inherited a program with great achievements already. I would agree.

Reaction Score
in the same way people say irregardless or for all intensive purposes. Otherwise, no.
It’s an either or, always thought chomping not champing, but champing is the historically correct use, chomping correct but Johnny come lately! Touche’

Reaction Score
Remind me why Louisville

Is Cronin still the Cincy coach? Very confused by your avatar (with an obvious phallic symbol in Cronin's mouth)...do you still dream about cre**ng on Mick and him coaching Cincy?
All right!! Let’s take it to the gutter. It’s about time

Reaction Score

get method man GIF
I think Kobe is right on this unfortunately any school not positioned as a Power 2 school has a degree of uncertainty to it. Even Duke with the size of its brand if UNC bolts and that rivalry diminishes could take a step backward. I wouldn't be Kobe confident hanging in the Big 12 which is losing by far their most powerful brands to the SEC. UConn has history and without doubt, is a top 10ish job but money does matter and we don't and won't have as much as a lot of schools. There is a reason Louisville is listed on here but Dusty May chose Michigan the landscape is continually evolving you only get certainty at a select few schools.

Reaction Score
I don't get Louisville. I'd rather take many of the other flagship universities with much better reputations. A great coach should be able to win at any of the larger schools, including successful football schools like Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida. Per the article:

""Best jobs" equates to those in position to be successful as a perennial contender, have expansive brand appeal and fan support along with the overall health of the program. All it takes is one difference-making signing class or portal haul and this group is there. The resources are in place and there's no worry with being lapped by the competition in the NIL era."

Reaction Score
I think Kobe is right on this unfortunately any school not positioned as a Power 2 school has a degree of uncertainty to it. Even Duke with the size of its brand if UNC bolts and that rivalry diminishes could take a step backward. I wouldn't be Kobe confident hanging in the Big 12 which is losing by far their most powerful brands to the SEC. UConn has history and without doubt, is a top 10ish job but money does matter and we don't and won't have as much as a lot of schools. There is a reason Louisville is listed on here but Dusty May chose Michigan the landscape is continually evolving you only get certainty at a select few schools.
Hurley ain’t leaving for money… and that’s all that counts

Reaction Score
Hurley ain’t leaving for money… and that’s all that counts

Money always counts.

But it's hard to imagine a better situation for Hurley. He a northeast guy. UConn is the beast of the northeast. It's a great recruiting area and UConn can also recruit nationwide (and Europe). With his NC in 2023, he can legitimately claim UConn's entire history which is substantial, he owns the legacy. He has become an icon in the state. UConn has put him in a position to earn as much money outside of basketball as he likes.

His family is here. So is his wife's family. His roots are here. His dad comes to every game (if he wants). His personal history is in the northeast. It's his comfort zone and he owns it.

There is always the possibility of an NBA job. He has said he aspires to coach in the NBA. But even he is aware that his coaching style would be a tough sell to NBA players. It may be an issue "down the road."

But make no mistake money counts.

Reaction Score
Money always counts.

But it's hard to imagine a better situation for Hurley. He a northeast guy. UConn is the beast of the northeast. It's a great recruiting area and UConn can also recruit nationwide (and Europe). With his NC in 2023, he can legitimately claim UConn's entire history which is substantial, he owns the legacy. He has become an icon in the state. UConn has put him in a position to earn as much money outside of basketball as he likes.

His family is here. So is his wife's family. His roots are here. His dad comes to every game (if he wants). His personal history is in the northeast. It's his comfort zone and he owns it.

There is always the possibility of an NBA job. He has said he aspires to coach in the NBA. But even he is aware that his coaching style would be a tough sell to NBA players. It may be an issue "down the road."

But make no mistake money counts.
Well said

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We are picked as the 5th best coaching spot in the country. And all the comments so far are negative about what the article (incorrectly) states was the state of the program when DH took over.

Only on the Boneyard

The fact that article says that is proof that the author doesn't know the first thing about college basketball, so I wouldn't bathe in his praise. There's plenty of compliments about our program to be found on the internet, made by people who know Danny dug this program out of a hole. It's not just that winning another title was a question mark -- being a competitive program was. We were recruiting dudes off YouTube.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom