Ranking all 357 D-1 Coaches (by Fansided) | The Boneyard

Ranking all 357 D-1 Coaches (by Fansided)

Reaction Score
Some notables:
333 Donyell Marshall (Last year 323) Tough situation.
252 Keith Richard (louisiana-Monroe) Thought he was still with the Stones?
117 Patrick Ewing (LY 81) Can NBA stars be great coaches?
115 Steve Pikiell (LY136) Making Rutgers respectable deserves much more than this.
83 Juwan Howard (LY 84) See Patrick Ewing.
75 Penny Hardaway (LY 78) Ditto.
55 Bobby Hurley (LY 58) Did really well with Nate Oats as his lead recruiter.
53 Ed Cooley (LY 56) With DH around, and Andre LaFleur gone, recruiting will decline.
47 Dan Hurley (LY 50) Seems to have a promising future.
46 Nate Oats (LY 51) My favorite after DH.
38 Will Wade (LY 42) Not getting prosecuted means your rating rises?
35 Archie Miller (LY 38) Not wearing a t-shirt boosts your rating?
32 Shaka Smart (LY 28) This rating might be a BIT high.
30 Mick Cronin (LY 30) Not to beLITTLE him, but #30?
18 Bruce Pearl (LY 17) No prosecution so the rating rises?
15 Sean Miller (LY 14) Ditto.
9 Jim Boeheim (LY 8) His legacy rides on Joe Girard.

8 Jay Wright (LY 9) How can he be behid Few, Self and Calipari?

Reaction Score
Nate was never Bobby’s “lead recruiter.” I’m all for praising Nate- he’s one of Dan’s closest friends in coaching (Dan basically got him his job at Buffalo) and is just a tremendous coach. He was a second away from giving up his job when his wife got sick, and they deserve any good thing that comes their way. But, I’m not sure I understand framing Bobby’s career in reference to Nate. They had two successful years together at Buffalo, but he’s going into season 6 now at ASU.

Some of those ratings are ridiculous, but it’s an interesting list.

Reaction Score
Between Oats at Alabama, Musselman at Arkansas, Buzz at Texas A&M and Barnes at Tennessee there are three teams in the SEC that will be fun to watch and easy to root for when they play Kentucky and L$U. The league should be a lot better this year.

Reaction Score
Nate was never Bobby’s “lead recruiter.” I’m all for praising Nate- he’s one of Dan’s closest friends in coaching (Dan basically got him his job at Buffalo) and is just a tremendous coach. He was a second away from giving up his job when his wife got sick, and they deserve any good thing that comes their way. But, I’m not sure I understand framing Bobby’s career in reference to Nate. They had two successful years together at Buffalo, but he’s going into season 6 now at ASU.

Some of those ratings are ridiculous, but it’s an interesting list.

I've been cautioned that thoughts don't always come across as intended in anonymous posts so I should have put in one of my usual :rolleyes: for a few of them, like "DH seems to have a promising future" and "not wearing a t-shirt boosts your rating".

With Bobby, I was basically doing a "twofer" for Nate, not knowing what to say about Bobby but wanting to emphasize how quickly Nate has started to get commitments from five star recruits at Alabama. So Nate was more the focus of both comments. He was the guy I hoped we'd sign if DH didn't take the job.

It's been my observation (nothing profound) that guys that start at a lower level in an organization, whether sports or business, and prove their worth as they move up in divisions or conferences or companies, are better equipped to run a program and have long term success than guys that start as an assistant to someone in a power conference. For example, when Geno retires, I'd prefer hiring someone like Carla Berube, who built a program at a lower level and had great success, over someone like Shea Ralph who's never been the top dog.

As to the list, there were some real "head scratchers" both high and low. Wade, Smart and the two Millers seem high and Pikiell too low being some that jumped out at me. But I'm so much of a "homer" that UConn guys, both past and present will always be the best.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Mark “Maddog” Madsen will have Utah Valley as a top 10 team in no time.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Jim boeheim not even the 9th best coach in the tavern league

Unless you are giving an award for doing less with more. Then he’s tops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom