5. Memphis
6. Temple
7. Houston
8. East Carolina
9. UCF
10. USF
11. Tulane

Before conference play starts tomorrow I would list the teams like this:

1. SMU (clearly the best team so far. Only thing I would say is they haven't played a Top 25 team yet. Their balance between their inside/outside game is impressive.)
2. Cincy (I give them a slight edge over our boys so far. They should have beaten Butler or Iowa State or both. They still remind me of what they have been in the past: good defensively, but they are not good enough offensively to beat Top 15 teams in the tournament).
3. UConn
4. Tulsa (such a jekyle and hyde team. The win over Witchia State doesn't look as good as we had hoped earlier in the year. Won at Oklahoma St., but home losses to Little Rock-Arkansas and Oral Roberts really hurt their profile. They will need to beat SMU/Cincy/UConn to enter into the tournament discussion).
5. Houston (a solid record, but they have played no one outside of URI/LSU, which aren't great teams to begin with. Think they will be improved, but will struggle on the road.)
6. Memphis (the talent is there, but they lack great guard play, and the coach is suspect. They have lost to two good teams at home and a 3rd loss at the hands of a mid-major. Big opportunity against South Carolina next week).
7. Temple (5-5 against a brutal OOC schedule, with Villanova still left to play. I think they will pick off a couple of good teams during conference play, but I don't like their guard play).
8. East Carolina (a good team at home that struggles on the road, and really doesn't have good inside play).
9. UCF (lost some close games, and have played without their starting PG who is out for the season. They have improved, but are still a year away from becoming a middle of the pack team).
10. Tulane (not a very good team).
11. USF (a trainwreck).

Reaction Score
I can def get on board with this list. If we handle Texas in Texas easily than i would rank us slightly higher than Cincy.

Reaction Score
Agree with the list. I do think Cincy has a considerable edge over us because of their superior defense. Defense is reproducible. I don't see them having as many WTF losses in conference play; but I fear us going 2-20 from 3 with out pathetic defense and getting beat by Houston or Memphis.

As long as our defense improves, this team will be fine, but I am starting to think the only real solution is mix in some zone consistently to hide Gibbs and Hamilton.

Reaction Score
Agree with the list. I do think Cincy has a considerable edge over us because of their superior defense. Defense is reproducible. I don't see them having as many WTF losses in conference play; but I fear us going 2-20 from 3 with out pathetic defense and getting beat by Houston or Memphis.

As long as our defense improves, this team will be fine, but I am starting to think the only real solution is mix in some zone consistently to hide Gibbs and Hamilton.

Cincy makes me nervous purely on their physical potential and all the size they bring alone, I agree with you here.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Rare words heard on the Boneyard but are relevant here: "spot on assessment. good job."

Reaction Score
Agree with your sentiments when applied to regular season, however I think in the big dance uconn still by far has the greatest chance of getting the farthest even if smu was eligible.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Have to see UConn without Brimah against a decent team first. I watched part of the Central Connecticit game and they were scoring a ton of lay ups. Still think they are better than Tulsa but the gap has closed some, IMO.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Cincy's three losses have all been to ranked teams, so have to give them the nod over UConn right now

Reaction Score
1. SMU
2. Cincinnati
3. UConn (I still think they have the highest ceiling, but I don't think they've been as good as the top two)
4. Memphis
5. Tulsa
6. Temple
7. Houston
8. East Carolina
9. Tulane
10. Central Florida
11. South Florida

Reaction Score
didn't watch but Temple just beat Cincy at Cincy. who was it that was on here claiming them as the #1 team in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom