Randy Edsall Says Struggling UConn Football Team Lacks Player Leadership (Putterman) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall Says Struggling UConn Football Team Lacks Player Leadership (Putterman)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I believe some players need to step up at least for pride to finish well. This doesn't aleve Edsall and his staff from criticism and they need to lead as well and give the players a chance to win unlike Saturday afternoon. That loss is still on the coaching staff in my opinion

Reaction Score
If you were a JR/SR with only 1 or 2 years of eligibility left, would you stay and watch FR play from the sidelines? I wouldn't. I would transfer out like McAllister did to a place where I feel like I can play. The UMass sideline looked like they were playing hard for him on Saturday.

Again, I have no problem with playing as many FR/SO as we do. But Edsall can't complain about lack of leadership when he does. The two don't go hand in hand. Most leaders at the collegiate level are upper classmen. When we play as many FR/SO as we do, the upper class leaders won't emerge for another 3-4 years. If there aren't any leaders in 2021 from the group getting the majority of playing time today, then we have a problem and Edsall can wail about it to some extent.

WELL SAID. Very well said.

I wish those upper classmen had a safe and secure place they could freely and honestly spout. I think several upper classmen are completely and utterly deflated at this point. With very good reason.

Reaction Score
"Again, I have no problem with playing as many FR/SO as we do. But Edsall can't complain about lack of leadership when he does. The two don't go hand in hand. Most leaders at the collegiate level are upper classmen."

"I wish those upper classmen had a safe and secure place they could freely and honestly spout. I think several upper classmen are completely and utterly deflated at this point. With very good reason."

Or, possibly, there is no reason for the young guys to listen to the older guys because the veterans are considered worthless by the coach. If the efforts to exert leadership are not supported by the coach, then it doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
I think coach has run out of things to say about this football team..

Reality - we currently play a really really really bad brand of football.. The youth movement has played a huge factor in it...

What else can the guy say? We suck.. we suck.. and further more, we suck? I don't think that's a good way to go...

Bottom line, this season can't end fast enough, so we can start working on getting better for '19... Right now, in this 2018 season, we are what we are.. It ain't changing.. unfortunately.

whatever positives (if any) this year that we can lay our hat on that's all we should probably do...

Reaction Score
But to me this isn't so much complaining about what he doesn't have as challenging guys to step up and develop into leaders.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Look at our roster construct. We're far more weighted with FR/SO than experienced upperclassmen. I understand the reasoning - Randy wants to get "his" recruits playing time and experience. But he can't cry foul when he has more lower classmen than upper classmen when it's his decision to play mostly FR, RS FR, and SO.

Bingo.

If Randy is going to play the long game, at least be honest about it...

Reaction Score
Shouldn’t the leadership council be holding their teammates accountable? Edsall says no one is holding each other accountable.. what the heck is the leadership council for then??
Make them speak up to the team and put some fire under their asses. I’m tired of losing every game due to no spark or enthusiasm from this group! Do something leaders!! Otherwise this leadership council is a joke!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yankee fans do it all the time....”27 RINGS” ;)

Uhhh....What happened to Randy’s Leadership Council???
Leadership Council 2018
If Randy had 27 rings it would be a different story. Don’t get me wrong,I love how Randy has brought his past to the present with references and reach outs to former players, but he is starting to loose me and probably the team when you do this in public over and over again. Keep the message in house.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He is trying to build for the next 2-3 years but he keeps alienating the whole team. Who in their right mind wants to go out there and get your ass kicked every week then get called out by the guy who isn’t putting you in a spot to win? I’ll be shocked if he’s able to retain 60% of the team. He should be begging kids to stay instead of threatening them saying scholarships aren’t gaurantees.

Worthy players will go onto decent FBS programs. Unworthy will go to FCS or D2 squads. What’s left will leave ya begging for a Diaco recruiting class.

Reaction Score
If Randy had 27 rings it would be a different story. Don’t get me wrong,I love how Randy has brought his past to the present with references and reach outs to former players, but he is starting to loose me and probably the team when you do this in public over and over again. Keep the message in house.
I totally agree. RE can talk culture all he wants. If you throw a kid who’s done everything you’ve asked under the bus in public, how does that help create a winning culture? I understand Pindell isn’t back next season and he wants other guys to step up into leadership roles. But, the kid has been the whole offense and RE took the air out of the ball. It had nothing to do with hand size. A coach has to TEACH kids to be leaders. It doesn’t just happen. The excuses from RE have to stop especially when he’s putting it on the kids. He’s the captain of the ship. Seem like he’ll be the first one jumping in the lifeboat right now. How can he expect kids to lead, when he’s setting the example of how not to? A team’s success (or lack thereof) is a direct reflection of the leadership in charge.

“Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.” — John Wooden

RE hasn’t figured out that preparing (teaching) kids to be leaders is part of the equation, especially when you have so many Fr, RFr and So playing prominent roles. Those kids need to be taught how to lead. I assumed that the Leadership Council was created to help foster that growth. Perhaps it’s just a title for Randy’s favorite players in the three facets of the game.

Reaction Score
Let’s face it, in any organization there are only a few rare individuals among the rank and file who others would be willing to follow. For a peer to have others heed their directives or admonitions is frankly uncommon. Leadership starts with confidence born of skill at the game or positive results in the battle, coupled with a personality that “speaks up”.
If a current player or players ever wanted to step it up and take on the challenge Edsall threw down, now is the time. Let’s see who emerges.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom