Randy Edsall on this year’s offensive line and other Spring cleanup... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall on this year’s offensive line and other Spring cleanup...

Reaction Score
Lots to chew on here.

i) I have us at 77 scholarships. To have 78, my guess is that Donaldson is now on scholarship. But awarding Donaldson now means it counts towards the annual 25 head cap, vs offering it next year would exempt it from the cap.
Donaldson is not on scholarship this semester, but will be next year. Not sure about the summer. Might just be a semantics thing for Edsall saying 78

Reaction Score
The offensive line comments, to me, sound like Edsall foreshadowing an offensive gameplan that will be much more RE 1.0 than 2017 Lashlee.

Reaction Score
The offensive line comments, to me, sound like Edsall foreshadowing an offensive gameplan that will be much more RE 1.0 than 2017 Lashlee.
I think that's right. I don't know if he goes all the way back to middle hand off heaven but he definitely seems to be drifting toward Edsall 1.0. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I think that's right. I don't know if he goes all the way back to middle hand off heaven but he definitely seems to be drifting toward Edsall 1.0. Hope I'm wrong.

One posituve comment on the o-line negates everything else he/OC/players have said on the offense being very similar to last year?

It’s all just noise till the games start but help me understand your connecting of dots?

Reaction Score
Second nugget, Edsall is jacked about Caleb Thomas playing NT, so he is thinking Travis Jones will start at DE.

Or he's going to try really hard to not play a true freshman interior DL. Or he's expecting Jones to leapfrog Murphy the second he shows up on campus.

Reaction Score
I think it is premature to conclude Edsall is closing down the offense. He also talked about receivers and deep threats. Look, since he left the offensive line has ranged from scarily bad to incredibly awful. Fixing it was the #1 offensive priority. Now he says it’s back and people are complaining...Oy!

I wouldn’t be shocked if we run the ball a bit more this year but it isn’t going to be ground and pound. While everyone liked last year’s o fact is that a little more ball control is a good thing if you don’t have a functioning defense. A fast pasted 3-out does them no favors. I like Dunn’s overall philosophy of using pace as a weapon depending on the situation.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Eh. He said Bonislawski could throw the ball better than Dan O.

Caring what any coach says about anything is rarely a good plan.

Throwing the ball in practice is different than on the field. See McEntee, Johnny and QB Randy got from Ohio that transferred out. Could throw the heck out of the ball but could not read defenses or pick up the offense. Matt had a good arm, Fraser had a good arm. Cody Endres had a good arm. The ability to read defenses and getting the ball to the right guy at the right time makes all the difference in the world.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Quicker release is what I remember.

The Pitt game in 2005? may still be my favorite all-time Edsall moment.

Springing Bones on them out of the blue at the last second and then getting shut out.

That was highly entertaining.

Reaction Score
The Pitt game in 2005? may still be my favorite all-time Edsall moment.

Springing Bones on them out of the blue at the last second and then getting shut out.

That was highly entertaining.
That was bad but Edsall's worse move ever was the '06 Syracuse game. They had just hung 40+ points on Pitt (win in OT) rushing for over 300 yards. All done behind a makeshift offensive line that pushed Pitt all over the field.

Instead of going with this found gold the following week, Edsall completely re-shuffled the offensive line for the trip to the Dome. They newly constructed offensive line only managed 70 yards on the ground and lost 20-14.

All against a team that went 4-8 and gave up 185 yards rushing a game. Completely self-inflicted loss.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Wide shoulders. Seems like he will have to make his way as someone with reach over smaller DBs who is also difficult to bring down. No surprise really given his height. Looking forward to seeing some catches - I’m cheering for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Throwing the ball in practice is different than on the field. See McEntee, Johnny and QB Randy got from Ohio that transferred out. Could throw the heck out of the ball but could not read defenses or pick up the offense. Matt had a good arm, Fraser had a good arm. Cody Endres had a good arm. The ability to read defenses and getting the ball to the right guy at the right time makes all the difference in the world.

Frazer had a good arm? All I remember about him was that he would under throw a ton of passes into the ground..

C

Chief00

Too much to ask for another switch - I always thought he would be a very good outside LB - if we even have that position under Crocker.

C

Chief00

Or he's going to try really hard to not play a true freshman interior DL. Or he's expecting Jones to leapfrog Murphy the second he shows up on campus.

Jones is a really big human being who has fairly quick feet for his size. He can and will be scary.

Reaction Score

I thought Dan O excelled at finding open receivers. He seemed to always be able to locate a receiver 10-20 yards downfield and would immediately deliver a dart that got there before the defense could react.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom