Random thoughts on the career of the great Tyler Olander | The Boneyard

Random thoughts on the career of the great Tyler Olander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since we still have some time to kill before the end of finals break, I wanted to bring attention to one of the great mysteries of our time. Tyler Olander, in the first ten games of his sophomore season, averaged 7.5 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, and 1 block in 26.2 minutes per game. That's 11.4 points, 9.8 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.5 blocks extrapolated out to a per 40 rate.

Then, he got dunked on by his brother, and he was never quite the same player. He basically went from somebody who could have been a poor man's Travis Knight type (I'm not just making that comparison because he's white, I swear) to a guy who never really looked like a high-major player as a junior or senior. Was it injury-related? Trauma? With a guy like Olander, you wonder if he had been given so many gifts, both as an athlete (let's not forget his baseball career) and as a rapper that he was never able to channel all of it into one avenue.

If we can have @Chief00 weigh in on this, perhaps some light can be shed on his regression as a player. Was this guy simply bigger than the program?

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
All his attention went to developing his career as a rapper.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If we can have @Chief00 weigh in on this, perhaps some light can be shed on his regression as a player. Was this guy simply bigger than the program?

You knew Chief's view before you summoned him. He's obviously going to reference strength and conditioning.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
He's the one player you've never heard of that has 2x the national titles most players will ever hope to win.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think if Olander didn't go to high school almost quite literally next door to the Storrs campus, then I don't think he would have been recruited by JC. I remember watching him when we were both in high school and he was considered a big deal player for CT standards, but I heard he was a bit of a punk and never really lived up to the relative reputation he had as a high school player in CT. Regardless he was a much more intelligent basketball player than he was a capable athlete, which isn't a bad thing on a team of wild athletes. He was a great big against the zone when JC would put him at the FT line and he could quickly swing the ball to the open man vs the zone. Also who could forget the least likely character seemingly getting drawn up the first beautiful play of our two biggest games in 2011 FF.

Reaction Score
I think you are inflating Tyler Olander's actual productivity. Particularly when you expand it out to 40 minutes.

Is / Was Olander more productive (ultimately) than Facey, Edwards, Okwandu, Wane etc? Certainly, through most of his UConn years, he was useful. Not ever near the level of Travis Knight. I actually think we could see Facey be more important this year.

Our success, often, has been the Guards and Wings. The Bigs are sometimes just filling a role or specific limited part of that Team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's not the point. He wasn't drunk but was such an oaf that the cop initially gave him a DUI.
I know what your point was, a mean-spirited shot. Merry Christmas.

Reaction Score
Olander would be useful on this team just for his screens. He was way better than our bigs right now.

He was still a great athlete by normal standards... just not high major d1

Reaction Score
Olander would be useful on this team just for his screens. He was way better than our bigs right now.

He was still a great athlete by normal standards... just not high major d1

"way better"? I don't think so but he wouldn't have hurt this team if he was on it.

Reaction Score
He was better with long hair if I remember right. Once he cut his hair, he had less potential. He was a Gonzaga prototype until the Howdie Doodie cut.
After that, his ceiling dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog