Random Thought/Suggestion: New Unis for the Diaco Era | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Random Thought/Suggestion: New Unis for the Diaco Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I like the helmets in white a lot more than I like them in blue.

I agree with this statement.

Although to be fair, my levels of "like" are different than most. I only marginally dislike the white helmet with the blue unis, whereas I want to throw up when the blue helmets come out with the blue unis. The blue helmets should be burned, while the white helmets in my opinion could use a slight re-tool...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
I agree with this statement. Although to be fair, my levels of "like" are different than most. I only marginally dislike the white helmet with the blue unis, whereas I want to throw up when the blue helmets come out with the blue unis. The blue helmets should be burned, while the white helmets in my opinion could use a slight re-tool...

I actually like them in white. Don't really like them in blue.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I actually like them in white. Don't really like them in blue.

You mean the all white unis and all white helmets? I don't mind that look either. For me, the issue is the way that the logo looks on the helmet. But the all white, or the blue uni with white helmet color scheme looks good to me. I just think that the new blue helmets look God awful...

Reaction Score
uconnconcept2.jpg

Sloppy photoshop job (I did my best with what I had), but this basically sums up what I had in mind. Kind of like the new Buccaneer helmets, it "enhances" the current helmet concept and look.

Reaction Score
View attachment 7390

Sloppy photoshop job (I did my best with what I had), but this basically sums up what I had in mind. Kind of like the new Buccaneer helmets, it "enhances" the current helmet concept and look.

I like this - the enhanced eyes idea for the front of the helmet (not sure how it would look on a white helmet since you'd have the white around the eyes becoming negative space).

Numbers on the sides aren't bad, but that's Alabama's thing IMO. I say take the UCONN bumper sticker off the back of the helmet and slap it on the sides.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
View attachment 7390

Not to pick too much on this, because you at least made the effort to try to draw it up, but this helmet is even worse for me. The issue I have is that the blue helmet begs for a "side-logo" (yes, yes...like the block C). Here, you've tried to fill the void with the player number. I don't think that's a good look though, but you have the right idea in that the void on the blue helmet NEEDS to be filled. It's the reason why I very much prefer the helmet below:

newhusky-jpg.4859

Reaction Score
View attachment 7390

I like what you're getting at... I can see it... white face guard goes good with a blue helmet

Reaction Score
Some "alternatives" I drew up real quick. Thanks for the feedback.

uconnconcept3.jpg

[Same concept, just added the front view to the side view at an angle for some perspective on the side view.]

uconnconcept4.jpg

[Same concept, this time without the "Alabama" numbers on the side. This basically resembles the way they are now minus the enhanced husky eyes.]

Reaction Score
uconnconcept5.jpg

[Lastly, I took the suggestion of adding UCONN to the side in place of the numbers to see how it looked.]

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
View attachment 7394

[Lastly, I took the suggestion of adding UCONN to the side in place of the numbers to see how it looked.]

Nah, I don't think that works at all. But could you make ears on each side, pinned back? It would have that Vikings / Eagles type idea, but would connect with the eyes in the front. Kind of like these ears:

Siberian-Husky-running.jpg

Reaction Score
If the letters were arched & scaled right it might look better. Props on the efforts though.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out a way to angle it back 35°-45°. I tried but that was the best I could get out of it.

Reaction Score
thumb.aspx

Something like this - maybe a little more arch on the letters, scaled down slightly and the enhanced eyes in the front. Might be too much but if done right it could work.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I disagree. If you are going to keep this style, go bigger. Full Husky Head.
... or just use the eyes across the full front.

Edit: Nice job legacy! I didn't see those until after I posted. I like them.

Reaction Score
Nah, I don't think that works at all. But could you make ears on each side, pinned back? It would have that Vikings / Eagles type idea, but would connect with the eyes in the front. Kind of like these ears:

Siberian-Husky-running.jpg

Yeah, I'll give it a shot. Not promising it'll turn out well, though. I might toy around with some other ideas just for ha-has.

Reaction Score
Some "alternatives" I drew up real quick. Thanks for the feedback.

View attachment 7391

[Same concept, just added the front view to the side view at an angle for some perspective on the side view.]

View attachment 7392

[Same concept, this time without the "Alabama" numbers on the side. This basically resembles the way they are now minus the enhanced husky eyes.]

I like your concept better than the one we currently have when we go with the blue helmets... the red line doesn't work though... with that said we've gone white all season long... but, unfortunately when go with one color uni's ( all white concept ) the look is just so boring... Gotta go off color (white helmet blue shirt white pants)... it just looks better... whomever decided to give us a new concept in helmets & unis, IMO, is behind the times... simply because we're trying to gain the respect of the FBS football Gods.. You can't come out there with a boring look.. you just can't ... we'd just well go back to the day we simply wore the block C helmets with Connecticut across our chests(white jersey) and blue pants.. it looked better.. my two cents...

Reaction Score
These I made for the hell of it. Only way I can think of to incorporate more white into the helmets. Inspired by current Navy and Syracuse helmets. Don't hold back if you think they're sh°t.

uconnconcept6.jpg

uconnconcept7.jpg

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
View attachment 7390

Thats OK, though the front would be better with JUST the eyes (for those who must have a cartoon character on the helmet) and a block C on the side would be better than a number, those opinions above regarding its demise notwithstanding. BTW if you're shooting for a BiG look:

images

8, count 'em, eight schools with letters, including the Indiana interlocking IU (I always liked that interlocking UC we had in the early 2000's, which I know will bring groans from some here, but then again some of you actually like the joke of a lid we have now).

3 schools with graphics (MSU, UM and Iowa) all nice.

2 with just a stripe (tOSU and PSU). The PSU lid of course precludes UConn doing anything similar.

1 school that let a preschooler loose with some magic markers.

So what do you think would mesh the best with this group? Current design? Ha, yeah right. Sub Legacy's design is ok, but with eyes only, at least a number in the side, and please God in blue not white. My vote- White Block C on a national flag blue helmet ( and an occasional alternate white helmet). The rest of the uni's look good.

And regarding "catering to the 17 and 18 year old recruits"- gimme a break. They're 17 and 18 years old for , being recruited to major athletic programs with an all-expense paid trip through college being waived under their noses. The helmet could have a flocking Grandma Moses primitive painted on the side and they'd still sign a letter of intent. So please don't try to use that as a serious reason for art school drop-out experimentation on the program's most important emblem. FANS are who are identifying with the uniform day in and day out (buying tickets and gear, donating money), watching games on TV, at the stadium, online. Seeing their school's helmet on sports shows and web sites. Many of us identify with the tradition of college football, including the visual traditions. a change-up is great, OCCASIONALLY, but not for the long-haul.

If uniform shake-up is so great, why does Michigan's helmet still look like a stylized leather helmet? It must send recruits screaming to sign with Oregon or Maryland. Its still that way because alums, state and national fan bases identify with it, not with the furry face of a wolverine or some weird Andy Warhol interpretation of the state flag. If stylistic change is so universally successful, why aren't you wearing a dickie right now?

Put a GOOD husky graphic (see MSU/Iowa as examples of "good"), a number, or better yet the block "C", which makes me think of Connecticut, on a national flag blue helmet. Leave the cartoons for Saturday mornings TV.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Thats OK, though the front would be better with JUST the eyes (for those who must have a cartoon character on the helmet) and a block C on the side would be better than a number, those opinions above regarding its demise notwithstanding. BTW if you're shooting for a BiG look:

images

8, count 'em, eight schools with letters, including the Indiana interlocking IU (I always liked that interlocking UC we had in the early 2000's, which I know will bring groans from some here, but then again some of you actually like the joke of a lid we have now).

3 schools with graphics (MSU, UM and Iowa) all nice.

2 with just a stripe (tOSU and PSU). The PSU lid of course precludes UConn doing anything similar.

1 school that let a preschooler loose with some magic markers.

So what do you think would mesh the best with this group? Current design? Ha, yeah right. Sub Legacy's design is ok, but with eyes only, at least a number in the side, and please God in blue not white. My vote- White Block C on a national flag blue helmet ( and an occasional alternate white helmet). The rest of the uni's look good.

And regarding "catering to the 17 and 18 year old recruits"- gimme a break. They're 17 and 18 years old for , being recruited to major athletic programs with an all-expense paid trip through college being waived under their noses. The helmet could have a flocking Grandma Moses primitive painted on the side and they'd still sign a letter of intent. So please don't try to use that as a serious reason for art school drop-out experimentation on the program's most important emblem. FANS are who are identifying with the uniform day in and day out (buying tickets and gear, donating money), watching games on TV, at the stadium, online. Seeing their school's helmet on sports shows and web sites. Many of us identify with the tradition of college football, including the visual traditions. a change-up is great, OCCASIONALLY, but not for the long-haul.

If uniform shake-up is so great, why does Michigan's helmet still look like a stylized leather helmet? It must send recruits screaming to sign with Oregon or Maryland. Its still that way because alums, state and national fan bases identify with it, not with the furry face of a wolverine or some weird Andy Warhol interpretation of the state flag. If stylistic change is so universally successful, why aren't you wearing a dickie right now?

Put a GOOD husky graphic (see MSU/Iowa as examples of "good"), a number, or better yet the block "C", which makes me think of Connecticut, on a national flag blue helmet. Leave the cartoons for Saturday mornings TV.

Believe me, you will never get an argument against the block C from me! I don't even need the B1G comparison to tell me that. But we also have to be realistic with the fact that there is almost no chance we will ever go back. We would need the head coach to really demand it, and the HC would have to be someone that wanted to tap back into our history (albeit, recent history). Most of these marketing decisions, I'm guessing, happen above the coach on the ladder of hierarchy. You would need Warde, or possibly even Susan, to force that change...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom