Random (possibly erroneous) thought about Facey | The Boneyard

Random (possibly erroneous) thought about Facey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On a few occasions, I've been impressed with Facey's quick catch-and-release game. It reminded me a little of a poor-man's Antawn Jamison. (Not saying he is or ever will be Jamison, but I saw a little similarity in their games.) Could it be the coaching staff is using Facey incorrectly? I think they could at least try getting the ball to KF as he's diving toward the low post, before he sets up there, and see if he can get something up quickly before the defense reacts.

Admittedly, there's a good chance it wouldn't work, but it can't be any worse than the team's existing post game. Is it wishful thinking on my part, or does anyone else think this could help a little?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The fact that we don't run plays for him is indeed misusing him. He gets all his points off put-backs and broken plays. Very rarely do we post him up or give him an alley-oop. Its like we're playing 4v5 out there, and when TSam is in, 3v5. Kind of a stretch, but you know what I mean.

Reaction Score
Ok I like and agree with the fact he looks like Jamison kind of, he can certainly potentially stroke it. But for those who don't get a chance to rewind or maybe even watch the game he doesn't want to shoot it. When he gets it in shooting position he throws it back out 90% of the time. Even 5 feet away. Can't run plays for those unwilling.

Reaction Score
Having a Gumby for a 4 is always a problem. a lanky sophomore with virtually no post up skills will only hurt us of he gets the ball in the paint. Originally we threw him at the line when defenses played zone, but clearly DHam has taken over that role. SO, what do you do with a kid that can't post up or pass?

Disclaimer: In no way do I have anything poor to say about Facey. I love his heart and potential, just pointing out glaring physical facts

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The kid can shoot. We've seen him drain the 3 and his jumper looks smooth. It's all a matter of building up the confidence. Part of that is probably running some plays where he can be the beneficiary.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ok I like and agree with the fact he looks like Jamison kind of, he can certainly potentially stroke it. But for those who don't get a chance to rewind or maybe even watch the game he doesn't want to shoot it. When he gets it in shooting position he throws it back out 90% of the time. Even 5 feet away. Can't run plays for those unwilling.
I guess this is true. He definitely does need to be more assertive out there.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Facey has nice touch for a 4, but I think he's become less confident and aggressive. It's really shown on the boards. He's not big, and defensive rebounding obviously will suffer because of this. But guys of his frame often do well on the offensive glass, and he has absolutely disappeared in that area. It would help a ton if he could at least get us a few extra possessions.

Hopefully another offseason of strength building helps him a lot. I also want to see Rock get more cut because we're going to need rebounding in a major way next year.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The kid can shoot. We've seen him drain the 3 and his jumper looks smooth. It's all a matter of building up the confidence. Part of that is probably running some plays where he can be the beneficiary.

THIS. Kid has ZERO confidence right now. I've seen him miss countless lay-ups or short jumpers in the lane that should be automatic for him. He's got the skills, but maybe it's another year before he breaks out of his shell and gets confident in what he's doing.

I'm not sure you can start drawing stuff up for him if he doesn't have any confidence, but maybe that's what it will take.

Reaction Score
I think Brimah gets in his way. Plays for Brimah are too deliberate when they pass inside to him and when they don't it's a lob and dunk. Not much for Facey to do under those circumstances. He may have to settle for garbage put backs until the coaches realize he's a better low post scoring option than Brimah.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Part of Facey's problem is similar to Omar's problem. They don't catch the ball with their feet set to shoot. Facey's shooting touch is perfect for pick and pop plays but his feet aren't set. Defense doesn't have respect his dribble/drive and it bogs down. I still think he has a high probability of becoming a scoring threat. But he needs to work on footwork.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
THIS. Kid has ZERO confidence right now. I've seen him miss countless lay-ups or short jumpers in the lane that should be automatic for him. He's got the skills, but maybe it's another year before he breaks out of his shell and gets confident in what he's doing.

I'm not sure you can start drawing stuff up for him if he doesn't have any confidence, but maybe that's what it will take.

The plays don't even necessarily have to be for him. You can draw up plays where there's multiple options. Maybe he's the 2nd option and the 1st or 3rd on the play is preferred ... but if he ends up being open, instruct him to shoot. That's the hump he's got to get over.

Reaction Score
He may not have the green light from from anything but near the rim, because if he passes an open foul line shot that he should take wouldn't he hear it from KO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom