Randall E Does Not Like What's Happening To CFB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randall E Does Not Like What's Happening To CFB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe there is still a question if it truly is a legit issue. Is there data to support that position? It's not like the offense is fresh either....both teams should be on equal footing. Reacting can cause more energy to be used...so the defense could be more tired...but...it's not like a tired defense is going against a freshly substituted offense.

I thnk they need data to support their position. And by data...I don't mean RE isolated plays.

I would take their claim more serious if a coach who doesn't have bias made these statements. Either a coach who runs the uptempo.....or a coach who successfully defends uptempo. Or a retired coach who doesn't have ties to a uptempo program or uptempo offense challenged program.

As long as its team who lose to uptempo programs complaining....it's hard to take serious.

You need a study done to determine that a LB who is completely gassed but can't get off the field can or cannot properly defend himself on the field? I guess in today's slip and fall lawyer driven society we need studies for things that are common sense to 99% of the population.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The safety issue isn't due to the number of plays themselves. It's due to not being able to substitute defensively. Guys are running around gassed and when that happens, you are vulnerable to getting hurt. I don't know how anyone can even argue that.

I dont know which side of the fence I am on. On dont want anyone injured but studies were not fully completed. Football is about adjustments and exploiting the weakness of your opponent. If UConn defensive players are out of shape and running around gassed (ie last year) the number of plays has nothing to do with that yet the vulnerability has not increased or decreased - its the other teams responsibility to take advantage of the weakness, the same way they would if a corner back is nursing a knee contusion and is a step slow. If the coach doesnt want to pull the gassed player that is on him.

If it really is about players getting hurt and not just stopping offenses from running 100 plays agame and you are a player playing defense and you are gassed, the easiest thing to do is take a knee - officials have been told after the rules for defensive substitutions were not changed to be made more aware of injuries and have authority to stop game.

"The Football Rules Committee took note that the current rules of football allow for game stoppage at any time for injuries. The committee discussed and instructed the national coordinator of officials to enhance existing directives for game officials and coaches to look for and recognize when players may be injured."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...mittee-tables-defensive-substitution-proposal

Reaction Score
I dont know which side of the fence I am on. On dont want anyone injured but studies were not fully completed. Football is about adjustments and exploiting the weakness of your opponent. If UConn defensive players are out of shape and running around gassed (ie last year) the number of plays has nothing to do with that yet the vulnerability has not increased or decreased - its the other teams responsibility to take advantage of the weakness, the same way they would if a corner back is nursing a knee contusion and is a step slow. If the coach doesnt want to pull the gassed player that is on him.

If it really is about players getting hurt and not just stopping offenses from running 100 plays agame and you are a player playing defense and you are gassed, the easiest thing to do is take a knee - officials have been told after the rules for defensive substitutions were not changed to be made more aware of injuries and have authority to stop game.

"The Football Rules Committee took note that the current rules of football allow for game stoppage at any time for injuries. The committee discussed and instructed the national coordinator of officials to enhance existing directives for game officials and coaches to look for and recognize when players may be injured."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...mittee-tables-defensive-substitution-proposal

You're completely missing the point. The whole argument is that it's not possible to get gassed players out of the game unless the offense is making substitutions as well.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You need a study done to determine that a LB who is completely gassed but can't get off the field can or cannot properly defend himself on the field? I guess in today's slip and fall lawyer driven society we need studies for things that are common sense to 99% of the population.

Yes I do need a study. I don't agree with your assumptions. I have watched many games with uptempo offenses and I don't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary with injuries.. The intent of the offense in those situations is to gain yards...not hurt people. This isn't boxing. If the defender is tired he is just easier to move him out of the way. Whether he gets injured at that time is where the debate is.

If it is so obvious that there are more injuries, it should be pretty easy to get the data.

Reaction Score
Someone has studied it, and determined that the number of plays does not correlate with injury rates. Even if I don't trust that study, I want more information before making a rule change.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
You're completely missing the point. The whole argument is that it's not possible to get gassed players out of the game unless the offense is making substitutions as well.

Nope - see your point. there is a way to get gassed players out of the game.

I am a defensive guy and I am gassed all I need to do is take a knee - which an official will see as possible injury. Official will stop game and allow the 'kneed' player off field for sub.

Reaction Score
Nope - see your point. there is a way to get gassed players out of the game.

I am a defensive guy and I am gassed all I need to do is take a knee - which an official will see as possible injury. Official will stop game and allow the 'kneed' player off field for sub.

So you want to turn this into soccer and have guys flopping all over the field faking injuries?

Reaction Score
The safety issue isn't due to the number of plays themselves. It's due to not being able to substitute defensively. Guys are running around gassed and when that happens, you are vulnerable to getting hurt. I don't know how anyone can even argue that.

Now, what is fair, is to question the motives of guys like Saban, Bielema, Edsall, Diaco, etc. Are they TRULY concerned about player safety or do they just have trouble defending it? The safety issue, while it may provide adequate cover for them, is a legit issue.

If that's big an issue a gassed player can stay down as if he has a charlie horse. These dudes just want legislation or rules put in that benefit them, and that's what I take issue with.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
So you want to turn this into soccer and have guys flopping all over the field faking injuries?

No - those were your words - I never said to fake an injury.

You stated there is no way to get gassed players out of the game and gassed players is a concern as it makes them vulnerable to injury.

'The safety issue isn't due to the number of plays themselves. It's due to not being able to substitute defensively. Guys are running around gassed and when that happens, you are vulnerable to getting hurt. I don't know how anyone can even argue that.'

If they are that gassed and vulnerable taking the knee is acceptable practice to get yourself out of the game - unless injury really isnt the concern.

I dont call it flopping - I call it I am really gasses and I am vulnerable to injury I need out of the game...
That is why I am torn - if you cant keep up to the pace on D but the offense can that is a liability of the defense and the offenses job is to exploit the liability - whether you are gassed, fat and slow, or whatever limits you to make the play.

Reaction Score
10645015_899143923446333_7118334089871437487_n.jpg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I wish we ran the spread. But seriously, most teams cannot stop it if you have 5 Deshonn Foxx's at WR and you run end arounds and screens. Not many defensive backs are faster than a Foxx-like player.

Reaction Score
If that's big an issue a gassed player can stay down as if he has a charlie horse. These dudes just want legislation or rules put in that benefit them, and that's what I take issue with.

Rutgers beat us in 2009 flopping. Their defense was gassed and we were driving. Probably the most shamelessly cynical Schiano tactic of all time.

Reaction Score
I think the size speed ratio of Alabama's defensive line can potentially cause injuries to QBs and running backs. Maybe we should pass a rule that they are not allowed to field so many freak athletes on their defensive line. I think its a silly argument that tempo leads to injuries. If the defenders are that gassed, they will be scored upon quicker, and thus they will be off the field. Saban made huge headlines with this, this past off season. I am sure he has played a ton of fast paced spread teams whose sheet his teams pushed in, yet you really only heard the complaining when Auburn beat them, at least I don't remember him beaching publicly prior. I mean if Florida Atlantic is running a in theory fast paced spread, but Bama keeps having them go three and out, isn't that gassing FAU's defense more?

Without a doubt, these high scoring spread offenses, have brought excitement back into CFB. It gave the likes of Boise the ability to upset Oklahoma in a BCS game. It makes the "big boys" vulnerable to upsets or at least it did prior to the creation of the power 5, who no longer want to be in a position to be upset. It allowed Oregon from going from laughinstock program to one of the very best in country. It allowed a team formerly of the "no defense in the big 12", to go into the SEC and score on everyone including Alabama in Texas A&M.

My honest opinion, they don't give a sheet about injuries. It is football, they send players out there to smash one another, but the tempo of plays needs to be controlled with rules? I'm not buying it, Saban just wants the deck stacked in his favor. As for Edsall, he always had trouble with WVU. Beat them once at UConn with Stewart as their coach, and drilled them last year when WVU had one of their worst teams. That style of play always gave his defenses trouble though he did handle RG3 twice.

Reaction Score
Probably the most shamelessly cynical Schiano tactic of all time.

Not even close. Diving at the knees in the Victory Formation in 2011. He subsequently did it against the Giants and Coughlin rightfully laid into him.

Reaction Score
Rutgers beat us in 2009 flopping. Their defense was gassed and we were driving. Probably the most shamelessly cynical Schiano tactic of all time.
eh, you play to win the game. That could easily be legislated as well, if there are more than two of those instances on a drive and its obvious with players coming back in the game, penalize them and take a timeout from them. I don't want to see that, but I don't want rules against Tempo either. Putting the defense at a disadavantage is sort of the point, the injury angle is a red herring IMO.

Reaction Score
Not even close. Diving at the knees in the Victory Formation in 2011. He subsequently did it against the Giants and Coughlin rightfully laid into him.

That wasn't cynical. But merely shameless.

Reaction Score
eh, you play to win the game. That could easily be legislated as well, if there are more than two of those instances on a drive and its obvious with players coming back in the game, penalize them and take a timeout from them. I don't want to see that, but I don't want rules against Tempo either. Putting the defense at a disadavantage is sort of the point, the injury angle is a red herring IMO.

I think this happens much more often than people realize. But in that game someone was getting injured every 2 plays or so. It was pretty blatant.

Reaction Score
Randy is in year 4 of a 6 year contract. Not a whiff of an extension, it's at the point now where it would make sense to buy him out.

I could see him getting immediately hired as soon as there is a vacancy in the MAC. That's probably where he would be best in truth.

I saw a stat that he is 1-10 against P5 OOC at Maryland. I am assuming they are counting WVU from last year and not UConn.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The thing that I'm having a hard time understanding is why having gassed defensive players leads to a less safe environment, versus when they are throwing themselves at RB's / QB's with a full head of steam. So are we just worried about the safety of defensive players now?

I'm guessing that the offensive players get an improvement in safety levels when the defense is tired...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Fans love points. Most fans have money (either to go to games or to pay their cable bill). The NCAA loves money.

Offenses will not slowed down via legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom