Rahsool Diggins’ HS coach supporting UConn men’s basketball frosh | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins’ HS coach supporting UConn men’s basketball frosh

Reaction Score
I can understand it a bit with Samson because of Sanogo and Whaley in front of him and a couple guys who can slide to the four when we go small but he still should've gotten more minutes in the early going. Diggins I don't understand at all, we don't have a backup point guard and Gaffney has played a ton of minutes here playing every game of his career.

Hurley made a huge mistake in roster construction this offseason thinking Gaff would be the guy and not bringing in one or two transfers at guard and he's doubling down on it not giving Diggins minutes. You have to be able to live with freshman mistakes when your veteran is giving you nothing. Gaff is a really nice kid and he's trying so I don't mean to disparage him but this is big boy college basketball and his play doesn't even come close to cutting it and it's put a tremendous burden on Cole. Gaffney is averaging 5 ppg on the season 33% fg and 29% from the three. Over his last 12 games he's averaging 2.8 ppg and 0% from three.
Diggins would be playing more if Polley was gone, that would open up another 20 minutes a game for Martin and Jackson to be playing in their correct role as a 3. Gaffney certainly hasn't earned those minutes at the 2 so that's where I think Diggins playing time would come from.

I don't disagree that Hurley made a big mistake thinking he could count on Gaffney, we'd be a much better team with a legit 2nd ball handler on the team to play next to Cole and give him breathers. But Gaffney has barely been playing the past month after Hurley called him out publicly. He's down to around 9 minutes a game and I guess those minutes could be going to Diggins, but at this point there's not much to suggest he should be doing that other than blind hope. Just because he didn't make the adjustment people here wanted when cutting Gaff's minutes (playing Diggins) doesn't mean the adjustment wasn't made (more Jackson as a point forward while Cole sits).

Reaction Score
These guys have to get more run early on - they got no action early and now they get in a game at any point are like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs - jittery and frenetic.
Like I said numerous times- Hurley had the Chance to play diggins Johnson and springs in that 3 game stretch agsinst the cupcakes after the Bahamas to get thier feet wet and to see what they have. For some mystifying reason, he chose to give gaffney extra minutes and give those guys nothing. Like a previous poster stated, I get having a hard time finding Johnson minutes due to the logjam, but why in the world diggings didnt even get a sip of playing time is one of the bigger head scratchers in a while with this program.

Reaction Score
Hard to use that unless you specify who they were playing behind. For example 93-94 - king was playing behind Donyell and Donny, Thomas was behind Ray, KO, sheffer and Brian fair. That's the information you need for context
Not really. The list goes back 30 years and the fact that only 2 or 3 of the guys on it became major players while at UConn is the takeaway.

Likewise, I’m sure a list of all the freshmen that averaged more than 10mpg over the past 30 years would be almost entirely filled with stars

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the more important issue is the point guards' minutes for the players not listed.
Just out of curiosity, here’s all freshman back to 1993-94 that averaged under 10 minutes a game:

2021-22: Rahsool Diggins (6.3), Samson Johnson (6.3)

2020-21: Javonte Brown (2.0)
2016-17: Juwan Durham (8.3)
2015-16: Steven Enoch (7.0)
2014-15: Rakim Lubin (6.5)
2013-14: Terrence Samuel (9.0)
2012-13: Leon Tolksdorf (7.4)
2010-11: Niels Giffey (9.9), Tyler Olander (9.6), Enosch Wolf (4.2)
2009-10: Darius Smith (4.5), Jamaal Trice (2.7)
2008-09: Scottie Haralson (4.1)
2007-08: Donnell Beverly (5.1)
2006-07: Curtis Kelly (9.4), Gavin Edwards (6.5), Jonathan Mandeldove (6.5), Ben Eaves (2.4)
2005-06: Marcus Johnson (8.9), Rob Garrison (8.9)
2001-02: Chad Wise (2.8)
2000-01: Robert Swain (3.9), Shamon Tooles (2.6)
1999-00: Marcus Cox (5.5), Doug Wrenn (7.0)
1997-98: Albert Mouring (2.1)
1996-97: Sam Funches (4.1), Michael LeBlanc (4.0)
1995-96: Antric Klaiber (5.7)
1994-95: Uri Cohen-Mintz (4.1), Ruslan Inyatkin (2.3)
1993-94: Kirk King (6.7), Marcus Thomas (1.8)

32 total players
9 played their entire careers at UConn
23 left/transferred elsewhere

Here’s hoping it works out at UConn for both of these guys
I think the more important issue is the names of the point guards and forwards not listed, as well as the strengths of the rosters they were on compared to this year's team.

Without going too deeply with too many comparisons let's just look at Craig Austrie and Jeff Adrien compared to the much more highly touted RD and SJ. Their 2005-06 team won the Big East and ended up #2 in the final AP poll.

We've had point guards like KEA, TB, KW, SN, and RB, who aren't on this list because they played a lot of minutes and were on championship teams, but there's also Craig Austrie who played 561 minutes as a freshman (16.5 minutes per game).

Since DH said SJ would be a lottery pick and have his number on the wall in Gampel, when does Jeff Adrien's jersey go up? He played 543 minutes as a freshman.

I know you can't just compare two years' rosters and make assumptions, but it's difficult to accept that RD and SJ who were so highly rated couldn't find minutes on a roster much less impressive than the ones on which Austrie and Adrien played so many minutes as freshmen.

Reaction Score
Not really. The list goes back 30 years and the fact that only 2 or 3 of the guys on it became major players while at UConn is the takeaway.

Likewise, I’m sure a list of all the freshmen that averaged more than 10mpg over the past 30 years would be almost entirely filled with stars
Thar's not an assumption you can make without the roster construction or the reasons for the low minutes.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
These guys have to get more run early on - they got no action early and now they get in a game at any point are like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs - jittery and frenetic.
That’s the big issue. Diggins and Johnson should’ve been getting serious minutes against scrub competition.

Instead we played starters to gain chemistry and now we have no chemistry and forgot how to shoot. Throwing a freshman in now with no experience is setting them up for failure.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Hurley needs to do what JC used to do - sub out the entire group of starters and put in the young guys. Whaley and polley are fine, but they are not getting the job done. I love those two and they have a lot of heart. They are not allstars - they are warm bodies in places where we could do worse. Polley had one game where he lit it up from three but has been lackluster since. It’s time to see what RD and SJ can offer. Hawkins also needs much more playing time. Gaff, unfortunately, should really never see any time on the court.

Reaction Score
The question, which we will never know the answer to, is would Rashool be more prepared to contribute if he were given more playing time early in the season? Sure he made some offensive/defensive mistakes, but could those be rectified or reduced if he had more floor time?

Coming in cold for 2 minutes of garbage time, is not a healthy development plan. My fear is that he will be a freshman again next year.

Reaction Score
A head coach announcing who is going to be a pro or have their name up on the wall before they have done anything has to stop. This applies to AJax and Johnson on the current roster. It is the same as saying you better get us now and then everyone waiting for the results. Saying a player is going to have his name on the wall and then not playing him makes no sense. Less talk more action and let the players play speak for itself.

Reaction Score
Another bit of context is that not being able to play at least some modicum of defense will keep freshman off the floor. From the little we've seen out of Diggins and Johnson in games leads me to believe that their defense is not good enough yet to warrant minutes; no matter how good their offensive skills may or may not be.

I bet the coaching staff that sees these guys every day in practice has a better read on this than anyone on this board.

The good thing for the program is that Floyd and Karaban will be in the mix next year, so there's hope that amongst those two plus Diggins and Johnson that guys will step up into the vacated space left by Polley, Whaley, and presumably Martin (and maybe Cole).

I still think there's a slight/decent possibility that we'll dip into the transfer portal for the right player if it is (painfully) obvious that the underclassmen aren't quite ready yet given Martin and Cole both move on.

Reaction Score
Give the kid some fn time for God's sake. At the rate we're going, how could it hurt? I'm usually very optimistic about the team... but getting tired of the same ol' Polley/Gaffney crap that's NOT WORKING.

Reaction Score
I was curious how 6.3 was calculated because that didn't sound accurate at all. But I guess it's just based on games played. 44 minutes/7 GP. In reality his number is 2.1 MPG because of all the DNP, not sure if the other years are calculated the same but that looks really bad.
Good point on factoring in the DNPs.

Rahsool's recorded 14 DNPs out of 21 total games (.667) and Johnson's recorded 11 DNPs out of 21 total games (.524). Who knows how their seasons will finish out, but the guys from the above list that had at DNPs in at least 50% of the games from their freshman seasons:

2012-13: Leon Tolksdorf (19 DNPs out of possible 30 games - .633)
2010-11: Enosch Wolf (27/33 - .818)
2009-10: Jamaal Trice (23/34 - .676)
2008-09: Scottie Haralson (19/36 - .528)
2006-07: Ben Eaves (20/31 - .645)
2005-06: Rob Garrison (17/34 - .500)
2001-02: Chad Wise (23/34 - .676)
2000-01: Robert Swain (21/32 - .656)
1997-98: Albert Mouring (22/37 - .595)
1996-97: Sam Funches (17/33 - .515)
1994-95: Ruslan Inyatkin (20/33 - .606)

Reaction Score
Happy to hear his HS coach is adding perspective and keeping him focused. The "trust" part that he talks about in the article re: DH and Sool I'm sure is partially influenced by the original conversations leading up to his commitment about expectations and PT. Kids remember those conversations.

Players want to play. Sool is a prideful kid. Hopefully he keeps his energy directed in the right areas and continues to improve in practice.Working hard with the Snc Program to get stronger. Has to be ready when his number is called. And it will be.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Gaff hasn't proven he deserves to be in over Diggins. Martin has spurts when he's hot but he has been terrible around the rim and then he'll go into hiding. I don't understand how Diggin's can't even get a few minutes a game to get on the court to just get some experience on the stage. Put him with Cole and let him just get comfortable. Let Diggins handle the ball and let's see. We just saw what happens with foul trouble and injuries this past Nova game. Johnson hasn't played and then gets thrown into the fire.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My gripe regarding PT, and this applies to Geno as well who put 1 backup in vs TN this weekend when they were up by 20, is that the game won't "slow down" for them if they don't get time. You also never know when you might need them due to injuries or Covid, like the Villanova game. No Akok and early fouls and now we need Samson.

Reaction Score
Disagree with those disparaging Gaffney over Diggins in this thread. Gaffney is more of a combo guard & that's essentially his issue when he has to backup RJ against any defense that pressures the ballhandler. But Gaffney also can be steady on both ends and provide the occasional spark.
I honestly haven't seen much from Diggins in his minutes against scrubs that merits him getting burn over Gaffney. Prone to TOs, loses man on D, dies on picks etc.., frankly he is a year away from being a year away. Could bridge that gap this summer by adding speed, strength and quickness, but right now he looks like a high school player trying to play with college players.

Reaction Score
Good point on factoring in the DNPs.

Rahsool's recorded 14 DNPs out of 21 total games (.667) and Johnson's recorded 11 DNPs out of 21 total games (.524). Who knows how their seasons will finish out, but the guys from the above list that had at DNPs in at least 50% of the games from their freshman seasons:

2012-13: Leon Tolksdorf (19 DNPs out of possible 30 games - .633)
2010-11: Enosch Wolf (27/33 - .818)
2009-10: Jamaal Trice (23/34 - .676)
2008-09: Scottie Haralson (19/36 - .528)
2006-07: Ben Eaves (20/31 - .645)
2005-06: Rob Garrison (17/34 - .500)
2001-02: Chad Wise (23/34 - .676)
2000-01: Robert Swain (21/32 - .656)
1997-98: Albert Mouring (22/37 - .595)
1996-97: Sam Funches (17/33 - .515)
1994-95: Ruslan Inyatkin (20/33 - .606)
Yikes. So basically only Mouring became a legitimate contributor.

Now, there is the asterisk that we (and a lot of other teams) have an unusually old roster with the extra year of eligibility, and we are in "win now" mode, but the overwhelming history is that if a freshman is going to contribute at any point in their career, they would already be giving us something in their first year.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
IMO the HS coach is trying not to alienate the biggest basketball program in the area.

Reaction Score
My gripe regarding PT, and this applies to Geno as well who put 1 backup in vs TN this weekend when they were up by 20, is that the game won't "slow down" for them if they don't get time. You also never know when you might need them due to injuries or Covid, like the Villanova game. No Akok and early fouls and now we need Samson.
This assumes a game is the only place players can develop whereas a far bigger percentage of player development, coaching & improvement takes place in practice. We see 40 minutes of a guy sitting & that's our total context of his progression. Coach can run players in various scenarios for hours in practices to try and get them ready for games. Yes there is almost nothing like game conditions, but you can get darn close and develop & gauge how ready players are to step out under the brightest lights. Plus you can start & stop scrimmages on the spot to correct errors live - that teaching is often better for development than trial & error on the bigger stage where people like myself unfairly judge Diggins for 2 minutes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes there is almost nothing like game conditions, but you can get darn close and develop & gauge how ready players are to step out under the brightest lights.
And then there is the case of Ajou Ajou Deng.

Reaction Score
This assumes a game is the only place players can develop whereas a far bigger percentage of player development, coaching & improvement takes place in practice. We see 40 minutes of a guy sitting & that's our total context of his progression. Coach can run players in various scenarios for hours in practices to try and get them ready for games. Yes there is almost nothing like game conditions, but you can get darn close and develop & gauge how ready players are to step out under the brightest lights. Plus you can start & stop scrimmages on the spot to correct errors live - that teaching is often better for development than trial & error on the bigger stage where people like myself unfairly judge Diggins for 2 minutes.
Then there are the players who are great in practice, but not so much in games or the opposite those who don't practice well but step up when the lights come on.

Reaction Score
Thar's not an assumption you can make without the roster construction or the reasons for the low minutes.
huh? no you're missing the point. that list is clearly showing that over the past 30 years the freshmen that average under 10 mpg seldom pan out. doesnt matter if it's due to roster construction or otherwise, they just usually arent good enough.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to do what JC used to do - sub out the entire group of starters and put in the young guys. Whaley and polley are fine, but they are not getting the job done. I love those two and they have a lot of heart. They are not allstars - they are warm bodies in places where we could do worse. Polley had one game where he lit it up from three but has been lackluster since. It’s time to see what RD and SJ can offer. Hawkins also needs much more playing time. Gaff, unfortunately, should really never see any time on the court.
He is not comfortable in his skin to go out on the limb by subbing the whole squad. Also don't forget he is building a coaching resume, welcome to big time.
Gaff has some good qualities that prevents him from playing to his actual abilities. It's hard to come into a game when you have been sitting for awhile while most of the players have been in the flow of the game so I disagree on that issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom